Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:52 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Caesar,

And with all due respect to St. Louis, C Cincinnati represents a much much more beautiful and fascinating destination, it's star is rising fast.
Hahahaha. You wish.

I challenge you to find a single statistic to back up your claim that Cincinnati is a more "beautiful and fascinating" destination than St. Louis, because in terms of tourism (both domestic and international), St. Louis gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more visitors than Cincinnati.

Forbes - 30 Most Visited US Cities in US

St. Louis- #18 most-visited US city

Cincinnati? Who knows, because it didn't crack the top 30.

So if Cincy is a "more fascinating destination", the rest of the world didn't get the memo.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
The New York Times got the memo

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...-8/1021022001/

I was recently back in Cincinnati and the place is hopping. Stayed in a rapidly up-and-coming Covington. There is nothing remotely comparable in St. Louis to crossing the pedestrian Roebling bridge over the Ohio and then having lunch at the Findlay Market in an ever-vibrant Over-the-Rhine. Cincy is, imho, on it's way to being seen as a "must-visit" destination along the lines of a Charleston or Nee Orleans. It's topography, architecture and vibrancy are becoming more widely known and appreciated all the time. You should move there!!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM

And more from the NYTimes, in case you need travel advice
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...nati-ohio.html

Old 02-16-2018, 03:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
The New York Times got the memo

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...-8/1021022001/

I was recently back in Cincinnati and the place is hopping. Stayed in a rapidly up-and-coming Covington. There is nothing remotely comparable in St. Louis to crossing the pedestrian Roebling bridge over the Ohio and then having lunch at the Findlay Market in an ever-vibrant Over-the-Rhine. Cincy is, imho, on it's way to being seen as a "must-visit" destination along the lines of a Charleston or Nee Orleans. It's topography, architecture and vibrancy are becoming more widely known and appreciated all the time. You should move there!!
To be fair, the Ohio River is much tamer and more approachable than the Mississippi River, and Covington wasn't nearly as industrial as East St. Louis, so it never became the post-industrial ****hole that East St. Louis did.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:27 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Oh gee, too bad the New York Times never named St. Louis one of the Top Places to Visit! Oh wait a minute, yes it did...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...isit.html?_r=0

Too bad the NY Times never highlighted 36 Hours in St. Louis! Oh, whoops, yeah it did...
36 Hours in St. Louis - The New York Times

Do you really think Cincinnati is so special because it's featured in the NYTimes? I mean, it's great press for sure, but every city gets featured eventually.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:11 PM

In he last few years, Cincy has been highlighted in countless lists, guides etc. Thus wasn't the case 10 years ago.

It possibly has the fastest rising reputation in the country at the moment, along with Detroit?

It seems to be where Pittsburgh was at in the urban zeitgeist several years back.

When I was in Covington last summer, spoke to a young millennial from Portland!!! He's managing a clubbthete and told me he knows all sorts of 20 something's from the Pacific Northwest that are now in the Cincy area.

It has all the ingredients to reemerge as a great iconic American city.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
To be fair, the Ohio River is much tamer and more approachable than the Mississippi River, and Covington wasn't nearly as industrial as East St. Louis, so it never became the post-industrial ****hole that East St. Louis did.
Cincinnati's waterfront is missing something though. There is a lot of development along the Ohio river in downtown Cincinnati but the development does not interact with the Ohio river. You cannot touch the water and the waters edge is fenced off and far removed. This may be do to flooding. Pittsburgh's riverfront park is fully connected to the rivers and quite a few places throughout the three rivers.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Caesar,

My attempts at educatng you have obviously fallen on deaf ears, or technically, blind eyes.

Cin-Day is already bigger than St. Louis and accelerating in terms of growth. Except, "Cin-Day" isn't a part of Cincy's UA, MSA, CSA, nothing! You keep getting called out on this, and are totally oblivious to how clueless you sound. The thread isn't about your idea of "Cin-day", it's Cincy, period. Read the poll, do you see 1/3 of Ohio on the list? Work on your reading comprehension please.

If you need to believe it's just a Starbucks linking the emerging metroplex, go right ahead. Not what I said, work on your sarcasm detection while you're working on your reading comprehension.

And with all due respect to St. Louis, C Cincinnati represents a much much more beautiful and fascinating destination, it's star is rising fast. Another brilliant, baseless opinion being presented as fact... Just keep repeating this to yourself when I keep posting those numbers u love to ignore, it'll be ok...

I just hope St. Louis can avoid joining Cleveland in the perpetually stagnant, shrinking column demographically, honestly I do. Maybe look at what Cincy has done to turn things around?!
That was anticlimactic... good to know your complex extends to Cleveland too

So you still don't understand my posts... I think, seeing as how you keep responding to cold hard facts with your amusing opinion, that you just don't want to listen. Actually respond to my questions if you want to be taken seriously.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Your magnanimity is appreciated, but misguided. In the case of East St. Louis, it's obvious just how unfair life can be - but what should Cincinnati to do to help out? Firebomb all its NKY riverfront communities, Dresden-style, to literally level the playing field?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:04 PM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
I voted for Baltimore because out of the other cities that are listed they are the only one with a large port, not to mention the fact that do to it's proximity to Washington DC there are a lot of government agencies that are based in the area such as Social Security Administration or the National Security Agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City