Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unless you're going to the 500, convention, or spending a weekend at a Colts game, there's not much at all to do in or around Indy.
How did Indy get into this? But you do realize Indy has the same stuff as cle and Lou. Just as many museums, theatres. 350 restaurants downtown, 380+ if you throw in neighboring fountain square. Don't know exact # in dt cle but more than Louisville by nice clip. More hotel rooms than both. Gambling 10 minutes away in shelbyville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Wow, a few days of nothing, and then BAM!

My one friend just said (TODAY) the September date won't work, so now we are looking at maybe mid-late October, which is an entirely different trip. I personally don't want to go to Denver at that time of year, or Minneapolis.

But I've enjoyed reading the banter. What I get out of it is that at some point, both of those cities would be cool options for us to hit. No need to say which is better.

When I have more info from the group on a set weekend, I'll regroup and maybe get some more/other opinions. I very much appreciate all the information, it's been great.
Since you guys are doing mid-late October now, are you guys going for a whole other roster of cities? It might be more fun to shift things southwards.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Since you guys are doing mid-late October now, are you guys going for a whole other roster of cities? It might be more fun to shift things southwards.
October isn't cold. Actually the best time of year for trees in the northern states.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
October isn't cold. Actually the best time of year for trees in the northern states.
No, it isn't that cold, probably in the 50s, but it might be nice to go somewhere that's warm. I was just wondering if the OP has a different roster of cities because of the change of dates.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, it isn't that cold, probably in the 50s, but it might be nice to go somewhere that's warm. I was just wondering if the OP has a different roster of cities because of the change of dates.
Possibly. Though I'd wait for January or February to cast my eyes south to get the most dramatic effect. Nothing like going to South Beach from the northeast or northern Midwest in the middle of winter.

There are definitely good southern cities.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Nobody said that
Actually, Peter did write that "Cleveland is not a tourist friendly city for a man-cation." See his comments quoted in post 125, but repeated throughout this thread.

Peter's erroneous statements about Cleveland proliferate not only in this thread, but throughout this forum. He belittles Cleveland's RTA transit system calling it "scant," he belittles Cleveland's pro sports teams as the equal of the Louisville university and minor league teams (why does anybody take this guy seriously?), and he argues that Cleveland is "spread out," creating even a ridiculous straw man argument to prove his point. He ignores the reality that Cleveland's downtown is packed with pro sports venues, attractions receiving TA "Certificates of Excellence" such as the Rock Hall, several entertainment/dining districts, and one of the nation's best theater districts, all walkable and supported by robust transit options, including rail, BRT, and free bus trolleys.

If Cleveland's award-winning mass transit system is "scant," the reality would be that the Louisville system is non-existent.

His hype about Louisville hotels appears erroneous (Peter too infrequently provides links supporting his Louisville propaganda).

He repeatedly has disgustingly belittled Cleveland's world-class cultural institutions, and in attempting to compare the Speed Museum favorably with the CMA, Peter is either deliberately disingenuous, or culturally illiterate, take your pick.

Louisville posters who let Peter spread his Louisville propaganda do a disservice to their community IMO. It should make anybody wonder whether Louisville is anywhere near a quality destination, let alone the superior destination claimed by Peter.

I remember one enthusiastic poster who trumped Cleveland as superior culturally to Philadelphia. I immediately took exception. Cleveland's doesn't need that type of hype, nor does the C-D forum IMO.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-05-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 11:45 AM

135 posts, read 181,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unless you're going to the 500, convention, or spending a weekend at a Colts game, there's not much at all to do in or around Indy.
Well that was random. And if you live in Carmel, probably true. But I never find a lack of things to do downtown/Ftn Sq.

Anyway, back to Louisville and Cleveland...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcolem View Post
Well that was random. And if you live in Carmel, probably true. But I never find a lack of things to do downtown/Ftn Sq.

Anyway, back to Louisville and Cleveland...
Indianapolis was one of the cities mentioned by the OP.

Indy has a very good art museum and the Eiteljorg Museum, one of the best U.S. western art museums in the eastern U.S.

It obviously has NFL and NBA basketball and Butler University basketball playing in the historic Hinkle Fieldhouse, a great destination on a mancation IMO, especially for anybody who enjoyed the movie, "Hoosiers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkle_Fieldhouse

Last edited by WRnative; 05-05-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM

135 posts, read 181,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Indianapolis was one of the cities mentioned by the OP.

Indy has a very good art museum and the Eiteljorg Museum, one of the best U.S. western art museums in the eastern U.S.
But the OP also mentioned on the first page that they had ruled it out as a destination for this trip. And it hadn't been discussed since then, which is why I thought it was pretty random to be brought up at this stage of the Cleveland/Louisville debate. But I do agree that for Western Art, Eiteljorg is top notch. I also think Indy would make a good destination for a mancation, but it clearly wasn't going to get any love on this board.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcolem View Post
But the OP also mentioned on the first page that they had ruled it out as a destination for this trip. And it hadn't been discussed since then, which is why I thought it was pretty random to be brought up at this stage of the Cleveland/Louisville debate. But I do agree that for Western Art, Eiteljorg is top notch. I also think Indy would make a good destination for a mancation, but it clearly wasn't going to get any love on this board.
I forgot/missed that Indy had been ruled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City