Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle 109 62.64%
Baltimore 65 37.36%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But that is the thing. We are talking about city vs city, not metros. Separate subject for a separate time. We are not talking about suburbs.
Practically every 'versus' thread on this forum is inclusive of entire metropolitan areas. It has to be explicitly stated when only the central city is in view because "city" often means "metro" in common parlance. You (generally speaking) can't talk about Microsoft, Costco, and Boeing being assets for Seattle on one hand and then turn around and say we can't consider metropolitan areas. I think that's a bit silly especially since metropolitan statistics are usually the default when talking about the economic health and prosperity (or lack thereof) of a particular place. I don't even think GDP is calculated by city alone.

Not to mention the fact the original post in this thread says that both the central cities and the metros are to be compared here.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-12-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
But that is the thing. We are talking about city vs city, not metros. Separate subject for a separate time. We are not talking about suburbs.
As Mutiny said...

Quote:
Compare cities and metros:
COL
Nightlife
Things to do in the region
Jobs/economy
Climate
Culture
Food

Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 AM

391 posts, read 453,687 times
Quote:
O yes we are. Cities always include metros. Second of all, you musta not read the SUBJECT.
Per OP-
Compare cities and metros:
COL
Nightlife
Things to do in the region
Jobs/economy
Climate
Culture
Food

Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 AM

38 posts, read 48,316 times
Oh my god, the political correctness onn city-data nowadays makes this truly a censored joke of a site.

You USED to be able.to TYPE that a city was a wasteland when it was. I get deleted for that?

This site and its mods are.off the deep-end.

Are you gonna delete that now? Criticism of the totalitarian state that is C-D not tolerated??

Ridiculous and embarrassing.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart View Post
Oh my god, the political correctness onn city-data nowadays makes this truly a censored joke of a site.

You USED to be able.to TYPE that a city was a wasteland when it was. I get deleted for that?

This site and its mods are.off the deep-end.

Are you gonna delete that now? Criticism of the totalitarian state that is C-D not tolerated??

Ridiculous and embarrassing.
I think anybody should be able to claim that a city is a wasteland. But, absent any solid information to back up the claim, I think a lot of push back is justified. If we are talking about Baltimore being a wasteland, I would like to point out the the city has 96%-97% of the number of households that it had in 1950 when the population peaked.

Perhaps you mean something other than empty residences when you are talking about Baltimore or some other city being a wasteland. If so, you should be very careful to say exactly what you are talking about. Otherwise, we are stuck with responding to criticism that has very little clarity or substance.

If Baltimore didn't have such an incredibly bad reputation, I wouldn't even bother to respond to trolls and haters. But since the opinions of trolls and haters are pretty much the same as the nationwide and worldwide image of the city, I feel like I can't let uninformed over the top criticism go unanswered.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So you want people to be out of work? Who's the evil person in your scenerio?

I swear some people on this site are completely brain dead.
Quite the contrary; well the brain dead part, you may be right. I despise Amazon and what it is doing to our communities. Never purchased anything from them and never will (as long as I can help it). Unfortunately most people don't care what happens to their community and will continue shifting to Amazon - Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO is definitely a creepy character in my book. Regardless, Amazon is foretasted to become the larges company on the planet and with that, Seattle will continue to book.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Either way, Seattle wins. It isn't an unequal metro with a rotten center of extensive crime, inflated by proximity to Old Money and Big Government - two resources which will be markedly dwindling in its region into the future... especially if we get a POTUS/Congress with half a sense about economics.

Seattle's city is better, the metros are more uniform, you can get by in either, and one doesn't rape the other of resources. It also doesn't need Vancouver or Portland to get it tourists - unlike Baltimore, which is like the red-headed stepchild of DC and the half-dull brother of Philly. Baltimore is deceptively healthy - much like the US in general.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Either way, Seattle wins. It isn't an unequal metro with a rotten center of extensive crime, inflated by proximity to Old Money and Big Government - two resources which will be markedly dwindling in its region into the future... especially if we get a POTUS/Congress with half a sense about economics.

Seattle's city is better, the metros are more uniform, you can get by in either, and one doesn't rape the other of resources. It also doesn't need Vancouver or Portland to get it tourists - unlike Baltimore, which is like the red-headed stepchild of DC and the half-dull brother of Philly. Baltimore is deceptively healthy - much like the US in general.
So which country will you be relocating to in the near future?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post

I'm surprised you didn't choose End of Days for your user name.

While I don't disagree on your view of health in the US in general, I fail to see the point of anymore rants like this in a Seattle vs. Baltimore thread. In other words, we're reading you loud and clear. We get you don't like Baltimore.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm surprised you didn't choose End of Days for your user name.

While I don't disagree on your view of health in the US in general, I fail to see the point of anymore rants like this in a Seattle vs. Baltimore thread. In other words, we're reading you loud and clear. We get you don't like Baltimore.
1rantplay
verb \ˈrant\
Popularity: Top 20% of words
Simple Definition of rant
: to talk loudly and in a way that shows anger : to complain in a way that is unreasonable

First, you can't hear me talking - which may be why you think it's a "rant". Second, nothing I said is unreasonable. Sorry.

With that being said, responses to posts breed responses to those posts. It's kind of natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City