Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There is no part of Buckhead I'd describe as anything close to gritty.
Buckhead Village. Look at the buildings, street lights, and the poor road condition compared to the others. It looks like the eastside neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Buckhead Village. Look at the buildings, street lights, and the poor road condition compared to the others. It looks like the eastside neighborhoods.
Exactly where in BV because I don't see it. I mean Buckhead Atlanta is in BV so that tells you about how "gritty" it is.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Having wide sidewalks hardly makes one look like Chicago or New York. It makes you look like a walkable city. Like the majority of the rest of the world. No pedestrian is trying to compete with other cars on the same street. Not to mention, pedestrians aren't going to walk on disappearing sidewalks either consistently. You also don't need row homes to be urban though better use of land does help towards an urban environment.
Exactly. No one is trying to make Houston look like Chicago or NYC. I just want some damn sidewalks to walk on lol

There is so much potential here, but those sidewalks completely kill it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...698028!6m1!1e1

And as you were saying, the random space of grass between the curb and the sidewalk. Pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
4th Ward = Midtown? Are you talking about EaDo?
4th Ward connects to midtown. It's right outside of downtown, west of downtown across 45. Eado area is near 2nd Ward.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Exactly. No one is trying to make Houston look like Chicago or NYC. I just want some damn sidewalks to walk on lol

And as you were saying, the random space of grass between the curb and the sidewalk. Pointless.

4th Ward connects to midtown. It's right outside of downtown, west of downtown across 45. Eado area is near 2nd Ward.
Exactly. To be fair, since Gunion brought up Chicago, even they have developments like this in the city. But at least the sidewalks are wide throughout most of the city and they do not break up either.

For the purposes of this thread, here is Uptown Houston. Pay attention to the person on the bike on that sidewalk. While there should be at least a bike lane on Post Oak, look on narrow that sidewalk is? Everything about this is suburban but it's not a shock, look when it was built.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7453...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:

The sidewalks aren't the problem in that picture (I see nothing that seems unfriendly to pedestrians), but rather a lack of a reason to walk. I clicked around a few of the streets and saw no retail component. Since people need to purchase food and other goods on a nearly basis, their only option would be to jump in the car and drive to where they can do that. Without retail situated within a easily walkable distance. you could have 30 foot wide sidewalks on both sides of the street and it wouldn't make a difference.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The sidewalks aren't the problem in that picture (I see nothing that seems unfriendly to pedestrians), but rather a lack of a reason to walk. I clicked around a few of the streets and saw no retail component. Since people need to purchase food and other goods on a nearly basis, their only option would be to jump in the car and drive to where they can do that. Without retail situated within a easily walkable distance. you could have 30 foot wide sidewalks on both sides of the street and it wouldn't make a difference.
Well the area is new and there is a big project in works to bring in more retail. Also this area isn't far from rail.

As you can see in the picture below, which is right down the street from the first link. The area is still very new.

That rail line literally just opened up like a year or two ago and all of the boom is a result of it.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:54 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:

West Dallas to West Gray area?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:59 PM

431 posts, read 521,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
LOL @ uptown Houston and South park. Very car centric. Buckhead is the only one that has a chance at becoming an urban/dense/walkable area. Honestly, as other people have said, why not just take these areas of the city for what it's worth. Houston and Charlotte are clearly car centric city, let's not try and act like every city in the US is meant to be dense and walkable.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM

379 posts, read 289,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
LOL @ uptown Houston and South park. Very car centric. Buckhead is the only one that has a chance at becoming an urban/dense/walkable area. Honestly, as other people have said, why not just take these areas of the city for what it's worth. Houston and Charlotte are clearly car centric city, let's not try and act like every city in the US is meant to be dense and walkable.
Atlanta is indeed car centric as well, it just so happens that the specific district it has happens to be a "lesser of all evils" compared to other districts on this thread.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, if there is a want, market, and will for it, then even the most spread out, spaced out suburb can turn into a dense, urban mecca.

Last edited by Wipe0ut2020; 07-05-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 04:33 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
All three cities are car centric and Buckhead I don't believe is far beyond Uptown in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City