Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:06 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Well right now Drake is probably as famous around the world as any one or thing can be at this moment in time.

Let's not go overboard.

Both my parents any my in-laws live in Ontario (the same province Toronto is in and where Drake is from) and they likely have no idea who Drake is.

I am in my early to mid 40s and I probably would not know who Drake is if I did not have pre-teen and teenaged kids.

YMMV, as they say.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So you think Drake is more popular gthan Barak Obama?hmm...What about Oprah Winfrey?

have of the people you mentioned I have no idea who they are and I am well traveled and well read.

The CN Tower is nowhere near as known as Sears Tower.In fact its not even known by te average person.

also the first open heart surgery was also done in Chicago by an African AMerican in 1893.

bill Murray,James Belushi,John Cusack,Cidy Crawford,Walt Disney,Tina Fey,Harrison Ford,Terrence Howard,Bernie Mac,John Malkovich,Jenny McCarthy,Jeremy Pippen,Shonda Rimes,Vince Vaughn,Robin Williams.etc.Not even close
Well, a quick look on Instagram shows that Barack Obama has 9.9 million followers and Drake has 29.7 million followers.

I doubt more people around the world would recognize the Sears Tower as being a Chicago landmark than they would the CN Tower as a Toronto or Canadian landmark. The CN Tower is quite a bit taller and one of the seven wonders of the modern world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_World

That's a good list of famous names from the Chicago area, but by saying "not even close", did you really think my little list of famous Torontonians was all there is? I could of listed tons more, especially if all I wanted to do was name famous TV and movie actors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_from_Toronto

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Well, a quick look on Instagram shows that Barack Obama has 9.9 million followers and Drake has 29.7 million followers.

I doubt more people around the world would recognize the Sears Tower as being a Chicago landmark than they would the CN Tower as a Toronto or Canadian landmark. The CN Tower is quite a bit taller and one of the seven wonders of the modern world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_World

That's a good list of famous names from the Chicago area, but by saying "not even close", did you really think my little list of famous Torontonians was all there is? I could of listed tons more, especially if all I wanted to do was name famous TV and movie actors.

Not familiar with Drake? A duck?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That's not really conclusive. An artist like Drake is very much a "niche" thing that appeals to a specific demographics, and those millions of Instagram followers are actually evidence of that.

I can't believe you're actually suggesting that this is proof of him being more famous than Obama.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:

As much as I hate to say it, a lot of the most famous people on that list would be labelled as being from the U.S. if you asked people around the world where these celebrities are from.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Sears Tower is neither more famous nor a more recognizable landmark than the CN tower.

If you ask a 6 year old to draw Chicago, he/she will draw a bunch of buildings. If you ask to draw Toronto, he/she will draw a pointy facsimile of the CN tower and a bunch of buildings.

And if you live in Toronto, the CN Tower is visible from almost anywhere in the city (especially before the skyscraper boom). You could be having the worst day but there it will still be reassuringly.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Montreal is so overrated in my opinion. I'd place it as:
1. Chicago
2. Toronto
3. Montreal

Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As much as I hate to say it, a lot of the most famous people on that list would be labelled as being from the U.S. if you asked people around the world where these celebrities are from.
Maybe, but do you think that people around the world would know that those famous Chicago people listed above are from Chicago? No, most people would just say they're from "Hollywood". At least my list contained some famous Torontonians who are known to be specifically Canadian.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Sears Tower is neither more famous nor a more recognizable landmark than the CN tower.

If you ask a 6 year old to draw Chicago, he/she will draw a bunch of buildings. If you ask to draw Toronto, he/she will draw a pointy facsimile of the CN tower and a bunch of buildings.

And if you live in Toronto, the CN Tower is visible from almost anywhere in the city (especially before the skyscraper boom). You could be having the worst day but there it will still be reassuringly.
I'd say that the name "sears tower" is more known than the name "CN tower". While a lot of Americans probably know that Toronto has a pointy tower in its skyline, I'd venture to say a lot don't know that name of it.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
The CN Tower looks like it would be from a futuristic movie, to me. It's a tower, not a building, so the relevance escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City