Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

The CN Tower is even more famous now since Drake's latest album, Views has a photo of Toronto's iconic landmark on the cover.

Drake's 'Views' Has Over 3 Billion Spotify Streams | Billboard

Old 11-08-2016, 04:08 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Drake is on top of the pop music game right now, he is where Taylor Swift was last year.

He's been on SNL multiple times, US talk show circuit multiple times etc...

He is the current most famous and successful artist in the Top 40.
Thank you for educating me. I don't doubt that he is very popular but there is a giant chasm between "very popular" and "as famous around the world as any one or thing can be at this moment in time."

There are a lot of people who have acquired fame doing this or that -- be it sports, music, movies or whatever (even Kim Kardashian has 30 million FB followers) -- but they obviously can't all simultaneously be the second coming of Jesus. And appearances on SNL or US talk shows may be a big thing for a Canadian musician but they mean absolutely nothing on a global scale. I think some people just need to come back down to planet earth and gain some perspective outside of the little bubble they're living in.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:39 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
A lot of the comments in this thread seem to be extremely U.S.A. centric. Not everyone around the world sees or thinks about the contributions of these three cities the same way as people who were born and bred within the self-contained cultural lens of the U.S.A. do, you know!
In all fairness, we are in the US forums, so you are going to get the POV of mostly Americans here. But I don't think it's "USA centric" to say that the US is more iconic, powerful, influential, recognizable, etc. I don't think there's any denying that. We are the sole world power. We dominate western media, technology, business, and politics. We are very "in-your-face" in not just Canada, but all over the world.

We are also pretty dysfunctional though. Just look at our election going on today, which all of Canada, and the entire rest of the world will be watching as well, I'm sure. This is exactly what I'm talking about. The average American pays no attention to Canada's elections, in contrast. But after tonight (like every election) there will be a ton of Americans wanting to move to Canada.

You guys are a more peaceful, stable nation though, and your social services are much more organized too. You guys also seem to get along better and agree on issues more as a nation as a whole.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Southern Ontario you're not allowed to say that Hamilton is a suburb of Toronto. People in both cities will hate you for it!
Yeh I started not to write that

Old 11-08-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
That may be the problem... Staying in the suburbs may have given you a very different perspective vs. actually staying in the city and exploring the neighborhoods by walking, transit, or the long and windy streetcar rides everyday. Very few Toronto friends I know go to Mississauga, Brampton, or Hamilton (!), ever. They are all separate cities, and yes, all have very uninspiring suburban landscapes. Mississauga is so new it literally was farmland in the 1970s and 80s. And getting into the city from any of them can easily take upwards of 1 hour or more by driving.

Hmm not exactly sure how you find Yorkville, Distillery, and Bloor West, and Kensington Market as "uninspiring" while showering praise on Montreal at the same time. Those streets are filled with energy and pedestrian activity at any time of the day, and they are the exact kind of eclectic, energy-filled neighborhoods that you would find in Plateau-Mont-Royal and Quartier des Spectacles in Montreal. If you disagree, that is totally alright. Different strokes for different folks. I've lived and worked in both cities and increasingly find more and more parallels between the two:

North Toronto Railway Station on Yonge:

First snow fall in Cabbagetown:

King West:

Medical and Related Sciences District (MARS)

College Street:

Saturday night at Dundas:

Dusk over Queen's Park:

Sunday stroll on Queen West:
How do you blame a visitor /tourist that what Im seeeing or not seeing is the problem?First you made assumptions. While I may have stayed in suburbs overnight, almost every single day I was in downtown Toronto,And this was my third time there.
Im not going tgo a major city to hang out in the suburbs.I stayed there because my friend no longer lives downtown

Also how is me visiting Toronto and not falling in love with it like I did Montreal or Quebec City somehow any different the way I saw Toronto?

Quote:
Hmm not exactly sure how you find Yorkville, Distillery, and Bloor West, and Kensington Market as "uninspiring" while showering praise on Montreal at the same time. Those streets are filled with energy and pedestrian activity at any time of the day, and they are the exact kind of eclectic, energy-filled neighborhoods that you would find in Plateau-Mont-Royal and Quartier des Spectacles in Montreal.

It so annoying when you cant even state an opinion and people cannot accept it because they rather hear what they want to hear.
no where did I say those areas did not have some nice places or inspiring architecture.NOPE.I said:"Toronto overall is not a pretty city and its overal not an inspiring city.

Detroit has some beautiful architecture that rivals any city in North America,however as a city overall its not a place i find inspiring.
I really dont care what your friends say.your friends aint here.i am and as a person that has lived and traveled all over,I have an opnion based on my travels.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:14 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Thank you for educating me. I don't doubt that he is very popular but there is a giant chasm between "very popular" and "as famous around the world as any one or thing can be at this moment in time."

There are a lot of people who have acquired fame doing this or that -- be it sports, music, movies or whatever (even Kim Kardashian has 30 million FB followers) -- but they obviously can't all simultaneously be the second coming of Jesus. And appearances on SNL or US talk shows may be a big thing for a Canadian musician but they mean absolutely nothing on a global scale. I think some people just need to come back down to planet earth and gain some perspective outside of the little bubble they're living in.
His popularity is not just by Canadian musician standards, he is more popular than any American musician right now as well.

Drizzy is #1.

Beyond Drizzy there is also Justin Bieber, who is not as hot right now but arguably one of the most famous people in the world.

The Weeknd will be the next big star out of Toronto, but his fame is currently developing.

Toronto is currently one of the hottest cities in the world for pumping out music superstars.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:19 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
The Weeknd is doing well right now.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The Toronto equivalent to the Blues Brothers movie would be the 1983 comedy Strange Brew starring the wildly popular SCTV characters Bob and Doug McKenzie. The Mckenzie brothers were a huge cultural phenomenon in the early 1980s, every bit as popular and well known as the Blues Brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Brew

The Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels and feature film was also a pop-cultural phenomenon that was closely identified as being extremely Toronto-centric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim

A lot of the comments in this thread seem to be extremely U.S.A. centric. Not everyone around the world sees or thinks about the contributions of these three cities the same way as people who were born and bred within the self-contained cultural lens of the U.S.A. do, you know!
So those many threads with Americans voting for Toronto over several American cities or close sshould be ignored too right?there are more Americans on this board by far.

Americans will be the ones out of anywhere in the world that will know the most about Canada.Espeially those along the border.Its only natural we Americans would be the ones would would even have an opinionif any to give as reference points of these places.

I remember Strange Brew vaguely and NO.LOL.Where else in the world outside of Canada was that even a "thing"?
Do you even remember how many icons were in the Blue Brothers? Arethra Franklin,James Brown, and Ray Charles including the main starts of Belushi an Ackroyd.
Im not being funny but I dont even remember the main characters in Strange Brew

Old 11-08-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Drake is on top of the pop music game right now, he is where Taylor Swift was last year.

He's been on SNL multiple times, US talk show circuit multiple times etc...

He is the current most famous and successful artist in the Top 40.
Yeh and so is Kanye West if not more so.
Again OPRAH WINFEEY and BARACK OBAMA!!

Oprah has a NETWORK and MAGAZINE!!! How does Drake even come close?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Drake has been on top of the charts for 6 years now, and keeps upping his game.

From his wikipedia page:

"Drake released his debut studio album Thank Me Later in 2010, which debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 and was soon certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). His next two releases were 2011's Take Care and 2013's Nothing Was the Same, with certifications of quadruple and triple platinum respectively in the U.S., with the former also earning him his first Grammy Award for Best Rap Album. They were followed by two mixtapes, with the trap-influenced If You're Reading This It's Too Late, and a collaboration with Future for What a Time to Be Alive, in 2015. The former was certified double platinum in the U.S. Drake released his fourth album, Views, in 2016, breaking several chart records in the process. Views sat atop the Billboard 200 for ten nonconsecutive weeks, becoming the first album by a solo male to do so in over 10 years. It also saw Drake leading the Billboard Hot 100 and the Billboard 200 simultaneously for eight weeks, breaking the previous record of seven held by both Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. It achieved triple platinum status in the U.S., and earned over 1 million album-equivalent units in the first week of its release."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_(musician)
So you really are serious?LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City