Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:04 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Wait what exactly is GHP? Gross Happiness Product?

lol.
Saw that too.I didnt want too look dumb so I said nothing.lol

Old 11-10-2016, 12:21 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Chicago based on what the OP asked.Not even close.On all accounts.
Chicago gave us the Skycraper,House Music,Barack Obama,Chicago Blues,Earnest Hemingway,McDonalds,Al Capone,The Magnificent Mile,etc.I cant name one thing even close to those things known around the world about any of the other cities.
Thats not a knock but few cities other than NYC,LA,SF,DC can compare in this regard.
Michael Jordan, Chicago style pizza, Chicago-dog, Kanye West, Oprah. I like your point.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:24 PM

65 posts, read 55,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Michael Jordan, Chicago style pizza, Chicago-dog, Kanye West, Oprah. I like your point.
I was also surprised by this thread. Nothing against the other 2 but obviously Chicago ...

Old 11-10-2016, 12:37 PM

153 posts, read 164,150 times
Quote:
lol.
Quote:
lol.
Thank you both for reading through my post and apparently In agreement. In Chicago's ranking and some still see despite Toronto's population growth by professional immigrants. It still is not seen as overtaking American cities global rise or even Chicago's.

But yes you had a good laugh at my GHP mistake. Instead of GDP. But both statistics and opinions especially of visitors and those in in the Mile-High club like those who deal among the Corporate sector.

I realize Toronto claims its Arrival and wants the world to recognize it and its boom in high-rise living. But even booming Asian cities can boost that. Chicago has still the 2nd highest high-rise living and downtown population in the US. But no local there would claim that makes their city the superior city or still 2nd city in stature. But it does go far in making its downtown vibrant as Torontonians can note for theirs.

I see others are keeping the thread on track over ones typo.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:05 PM

615 posts, read 600,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
Thank you both for reading through my post and apparently In agreement. In Chicago's ranking and some still see despite Toronto's population growth by professional immigrants. It still is not seen as overtaking American cities global rise or even Chicago's.

But yes you had a good laugh at my GHP mistake. Instead of GDP. But both statistics and opinions especially of visitors and those in in the Mile-High club like those who deal among the Corporate sector.

I realize Toronto claims its Arrival and wants the world to recognize it and its boom in high-rise living. But even booming Asian cities can boost that. Chicago has still the 2nd highest high-rise living and downtown population in the US. But no local there would claim that makes their city the superior city or still 2nd city in stature. But it does go far in making its downtown vibrant as Torontonians can note for theirs.

I see others are keeping the thread on track over ones typo.
The difference is Toronto is a city rapidly on the rise while Chicago overall is in decline.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
The difference is Toronto is a city rapidly on the rise while Chicago overall is in decline.
Only a novice would see slow population growth and equate it with "decline." Let's just get something straight:

1) In July, 2016, the number of employed persons in Chicago was higher than every single month since 1990, except for one - June 2000. The population in Chicago in 2000 at the US Census was 175K higher than it is today, and yet the number of employed persons today is in the same range as then.

The city has 29,820 more employed persons as of September 2016 than the highest employed month in 2007 (July), before the recession.

2) The unemployment rate as of September 2016 is back to 2007 levels and is also lower than almost any month in 1999 and the same as mid 2000 (June and July). This goes for the number of unemployed people too.

3) The city continues to see Fortune 500 companies move to it. It overtook San Francisco MSA a few years ago as having 2nd most F500 companies. Companies like ConAgra, ADM, and GE Health (not F500 but could be if it was on its own) have all moved to Chicago in the last few years.

Interestingly enough, according to Statistics Canada, Toronto area's October 2016 unemployment rate is 7.3% - that is 2.1% higher than the Chicago area's September 2016 unemployment rate (5.2%).

Labour force characteristics, unadjusted, by census metropolitan area (3 month moving average) (Toronto (Ont.), Hamilton (Ont.), St. Catharines-Niagara (Ont.))
Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page

Last edited by marothisu; 11-10-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 02:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Only a novice would see slow population growth and equate it with "decline." Let's just get something straight:

1) In July, 2016, the number of employed persons in Chicago was higher than every single month since 1990, except for one - June 2000. The population in Chicago in 2000 at the US Census was 175K higher than it is today, and yet the number of employed persons today is in the same range as then.

The city has 29,820 more employed persons as of September 2016 than the highest employed month in 2007 (July), before the recession.

2) The unemployment rate as of September 2016 is back to 2007 levels and is also lower than almost any month in 1999 and the same as mid 2000 (June and July). This goes for the number of unemployed people too.

3) The city continues to see Fortune 500 companies move to it. It overtook San Francisco MSA a few years ago as having 2nd most F500 companies. Companies like ConAgra, ADM, and GE Health (not F500 but could be if it was on its own) have all moved to Chicago in the last few years.
Agree.

Chicago and Illinois barely grew between 1980 and 1990 and then added 1,000,000 people during the 90s. Not everyone booms at the same time. I've said this before, but it seems like it warrants repeating. Where was Toronto, SF, Houston, Dallas, whoever when Chicago was growing 10% YOY? NO ONE is on an upward trajectory indefinitely. Look at NYC in the 70s and 80s compared to the NYC of today.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 11-10-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 05:42 PM

153 posts, read 164,150 times
Quote:
Wrong. You constantly refer to Chicago as a city in decline. When statistics show otherwise. Only in population last decade when Chicago experienced a 17% drop in its African-American Population. As a Midwest city of the US. It is in the less desirable region in general. Winters a Huge factor. So far the city this decade is projecting a modest rise. But NO ONE who ever visited. Sees a city in decline. Especially its Core and North side. Its gangland regions in the south does not look bad and hold some great old greystone housing and others. That survived blight. Infill WILL eventually come to these areas as it has begun. Slowly their though. Plenty of lots blight was cleared to prairie.

If you ran out of Toronto aspects to boast of? No need to accuse a vibrant US city of decline. But you surely can make some complements to US cities still expanding in population of Northern residents leaving Colder weather cities and states and immigrants. the US is not a 1 premier city nation. I would never say Montréal was in decline. Vancouver is also increasing nicely, and what a setting on the bay it has. But it does suffer by such a Huge desirability factor. Like SF with its high cost of housing. But a Awesome and vibrant city on its own right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Chicago and Illinois barely grew between 1980 and 1990 and then added 1,000,000 people during the 90s. Not everyone booms at the same time. I've said this before, but it seems like it warrants repeating. Where was Toronto, SF, Houston, Dallas, whoever when Chicago was growing 10% YOY? NO ONE is on an upward trajectory indefinitely. Look at NYC in the 70s and 80s compared to the NYC of today.
This is in population growth as is how regions in the US see. References to NYC in the 70s was in 1975 it was Bankrupt. The US government eventually after some major declines and cuts in services. Agreed to give the city loans. The rest of its comeback is history.

Toronto had none of the Racial issues and radical change to have to overcome as US northern cities experienced. The overcoming of them decades is not complete. Toronto relying highly on importing Professional immigrants who pass through the system fairly quickly is a key of its growth.
It is merely like a US sunbelt city without the high-rise investing, much from abroad. Americans still have a love affair with single homes or low-rise multi-residential buildings. Which most infill is in our cities.
But it is unfair to call Chicago a city in decline. Even Detroit is gradually making a comeback. Its core outward.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
Quote:

Old 11-11-2016, 04:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
This pretty much is what it comes down to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City