Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
New York is cold in April, May, October and November. It's hot and humid in July and August. June is often very rainy and muggy.

No, thanks.

Hardly true. Its NYC not Montreal. May and October are probably the most gorgeous and temperate months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Hardly true. Its NYC not Montreal. May and October are probably the most gorgeous and temperate months
In NYC, June is either hot and humid or rainy and still in a period of transition. He's got it right.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
No, cpomp is right. The rainy transition period is April and the first half of May. NYC definitely heats up before June. Summer weather starts in the second half of May, which is also when outdoor pools and beaches in NYC open.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
No, cpomp is right. The rainy transition period is April and the first half of May. NYC definitely heats up before June. Summer weather starts in the second half of May, which is also when outdoor pools and beaches in NYC open.
Occasionally it sticks around for a bit past April / May. I remember June 2012 was pretty cool and rainy for the most part.

People forget that it can literally transition from Winter to Summer in a period of only a few weeks in the NYC area during some years.

Pool season starts over Memorial Day but that doesn't mean it's always warm enough to go. Memorial Day 2013 it was in the 40s and 50s.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Occasionally it sticks around for a bit past April / May. I remember June 2012 was pretty cool and rainy for the most part.

People forget that it can literally transition from Winter to Summer in a period of only a few weeks in the NYC area during some years.

Pool season starts over Memorial Day but that doesn't mean it's always warm enough to go. Memorial Day 2013 it was in the 40s and 50s.
That's not normal though. In December 2015 in NYC it was around 70 degrees the week before Christmas. But that's not normal either. Weather can be weird and fluctuate sometimes, but normally by the end of May Summer weather is already here, which is why pools and beaches in NYC open May.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
That's not normal though. In December 2015 in NYC it was around 70 degrees the week before Christmas. But that's not normal either. Weather can be weird and fluctuate sometimes, but normally by the end of May Summer weather is already here, which is why pools and beaches in NYC open May.
And that's just the problem I have with living out here - total inconsistency with weather. L.A. got my vote.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So first we have a thread that compares Chicago to LA (but only if we take out anything related to nature), and now we have a thread comparing NY to LA (but only if we take out Winter).

I guess it should be flattering that at least people realize LA has positive aspects before they create dumb comparisons that totally take them away.
But which would you rather live in- NYC, or LA if LA was full of roving bands of canibals?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
And that's just the problem I have with living out here - total inconsistency with weather. L.A. got my vote.
I agree with you on the weather. I'm not a fan of the weather here either. I'm a city boy though and I don't like suburban environments or relying on a car. Plus I need my late-night parties/nightlife so I'm happy in NYC. NYC is the only reason I put up with it and I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else in this climate. My perfect dream City would be NYC with LA climate

Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on the weather. I'm not a fan of the weather here either. I'm a city boy though and I don't like suburban environments or relying on a car. Plus I need my late-night parties/nightlife so I'm happy in NYC. NYC is the only reason I put up with it and I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else in this climate. My perfect dream City would be NYC with LA climate
Agreed. I don't mind fall or summer so much but winter / spring is windy and cold. Living in CO now and when I went back to Christmas it wasn't even that "cold" (40s and 50s) but still felt so much colder than out here.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:44 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
LOL at the way this poll is set up to give New York a chance. Let me think long and hard about this...Los Angeles. LA mountains and beaches over a view of another building, a man made park, and grey rocky beaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So first we have a thread that compares Chicago to LA (but only if we take out anything related to nature), and now we have a thread comparing NY to LA (but only if we take out Winter).

I guess it should be flattering that at least people realize LA has positive aspects before they create dumb comparisons that totally take them away.
You can always just look for the more general Los Angeles vs New York City threads to see if what you're saying is true. There's a search input box, usually towards the top right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City