Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
It is so funny that Codeadick guy is still bitter about los angeles all these years. If you ever read his past post, he goes on and on about the women in LA. I didnt look at the name when reading the post, but when someone gets super negative of a city, I knew it was that guy. Geez. Cant believe someone can still that bitter. Most people are like whatever about a city. Might say a couple negative things. But that guy.....
Yea. If he’s anything like he is on C-D in real life, then it’s pretty obvious why he had such a terrible dating experience.

Look in the mirror Codederick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Haha once it start getting warm in NYC, it seems like everyone and their moms are out! Love the energy it has.

Oh true.. Christmas in nyc is very festive. But after Dec I am ready for warm weather haha.
NYC nightlife doesn't skip a beat when it gets cold though!

It was 0 degrees on my 21st birthday and the mayor told people not to out, I still did and the bars were still packed.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
You simply cannot get this in the claustrophobic clusterf*** that is NYC.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/park...JhFnRp-y2sSTdw
https://www.yelp.com/biz/parker-mesa...ific-palisades
https://www.yelp.com/biz/abalone-cov...o-palos-verdes

LA hands down for quality of life.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...alifornia.html
Why is Los Angeles disliked by so many people? | A Walker in LA
Welcome To Los Angeles – Return Of Kings

LA is to “quality of life” the same way Donald Trump is to fidelity.

Last edited by Codederick; 06-10-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 07:09 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Warriors play in Oakland.
I know. But SF still celebrates though, don't they?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:03 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineyTodd View Post
New York is too humid during the summer so it loses.
Yes, it gets hotter and more humid than I like sometimes, but there are a lot of other things in its favor that puts the balance towards NYC for me. That heat and humidity also makes the beachss and the water really refreshing or a trip to one of the many museums both fun and a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Sort of depends on the person and their situation. LA certainly has its issues, but I’d be hard pressed to find any major city without issues. When was the last time you were out in LA?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 AM

40 posts, read 46,054 times
NYC. Even from December-March.

LA doesn't compare at all.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC nightlife doesn't skip a beat when it gets cold though!

It was 0 degrees on my 21st birthday and the mayor told people not to out, I still did and the bars were still packed.
The windchill this past NYE was, I believe, -13. It was definitely in the negative teens, the exact number I can't remember. And still the entire city was a party. Went to brunch one day when the wind chill was -6 during the middle of the day this past winter, and EVERYONE was still out for their Sunday brunch. The city was packed. NYC nightlife doesn't stop in winter. It just goes inside.

Come summer time in the city, the action is more visible. More street festivals. More rooftop parties. More beer gardens. The warm summer nights of NYC are beautiful. In LA, summer nights can cool off enough to where some people might need a light jacket. Definitely not in NYC.

Technically the only beaches in the city of LA are Dockweiler, Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey, Venice Beach, and Malibu. All are very inaccessible for the most part. Driving to the beaches, any of them in LA County, is a nightmare on a hot day. The traffic is horrible, parking is a myth, and if you do find parking, I hope you weren't planning on doing anything fun that day because I've seen parking in Venice Beach go for $40/day. Then once you're there, the water doesn't even get that warm. The Atlantic gets warmer in the summer. I'm not sure of the exact temperatures, but I'm pretty sure the Jersey Shore gets warmer, so I'd assume NYC beaches are close to the Shore water temperatures. The Atlantic is calmer so you also can swim more comfortably and casually walk out further into the water. The ocean in LA has bigger waves, which is good for surfing, but not for casual beachgoers. The land also drops off much quicker so you can't go out as far. In NYC, you can take a subway directly to the beaches of Coney Island, Brighton Beach, and Rockaway. Orchard Beach in the Bronx provides residents of the Bronx beach access as well, without having to go all the way to Brooklyn or Queens, unlike in LA where EVERYONE fights over a few beaches. If we're going beyond just city limits, which is the only way LA gets to consider Santa Monica and the South Bay, we can also include Long Beach on Long Island with direct public transit access and several of the Jersey Shore towns on the north side such as Long Branch, Asbury Park, and Point Pleasant. Those are just with direct train access from NYC. Add in all the other ones on Long Island that are the same time/distance from NYC as some LA beaches are from inland parts of LA, and NYC can arguably have much better beach access than LA.

IMO, NYC has better beach weather in summer too. LA beaches are usually in the low to mid 70s, except during heatwaves when low 80s are around for a few days. NYC is almost always in the 80s or 90s. 90s in Manhattan can be a pain, but at the beach, it's perfect.

Now as for being in the actual city, the humidity and stuffiness of Manhattan and the poorly ventilated subway stations that feel like the first level of Hell are another story. During the day, it can be miserable. But I'd rather be sweaty during the day in return for beach access on public transit, warm nights, rooftop bars, beer gardens, etc. NYC doesn't shut down in winter, so summer is just when the liveliness is just more on display and it's like nothing you'd ever see in LA.

Also, since this timeframe includes spring and fall, duh...NYC wins. LA doesn't have a true spring or true fall the way NYC does. LA has May Gray and June Gloom, though, so if you'd rather have 60s and fog at the beach for an entire month or two, be my guest.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, it gets hotter and more humid than I like sometimes, but there are a lot of other things in its favor that puts the balance towards NYC for me. That heat and humidity also makes the beachss and the water really refreshing or a trip to one of the many museums both fun and a relief.

Sort of depends on the person and their situation. LA certainly has its issues, but I’d be hard pressed to find any major city without issues. When was the last time you were out in LA?

I moved out about a year ago to the day.

I feel ya. Every city has its issues. No doubt.

But I felt that LA had/has a disproportionate number of issues (and this is coming from a guy that has lived in 4 different major cities), esp. with regard to the morality/character (or lack thereof) of the residents.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
I moved out about a year ago to the day.

I feel ya. Every city has its issues. No doubt.

But I felt that LA had/has a disproportionate number of issues (and this is coming from a guy that has lived in 4 different major cities), esp. with regard to the morality/character (or lack thereof) of the residents.
With a city/metro as large as Los Angeles, I think it really depends on your own personal context of who you hang out with, where you live and where you work. Regardless, I’m sorry to hear you had such a terrible time.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
With a city/metro as large as Los Angeles, I think it really depends on your own personal context of who you hang out with, where you live and where you work. Regardless, I’m sorry to hear you had such a terrible time.
While this can be true for the most part, if you're through and through a city person who wants to be in a lively urban environment and never/rarely drive a car, LA is not the city for you. You can manage in places like DTLA, parts of Hwood, and WeHo, but having a car is still beneficial in most of LA. OTOH, having a car in a city Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, or SF can actually be a hassle. For me, I'd rather not drive a car every single day. The less I drive, the happier of a person I am. So living in LA would never be a completely positive experience unless I was able to live and work in DTLA and all my friends came to DTLA for everything. Because going to house parties or bar hopping in other neighborhoods would either be time consuming to get there on public transit for most neighborhoods/cities, or very expensive in a Lyft/Uber/cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City