Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 PM

41 posts, read 49,651 times

Advertisements

Literally can't even bring myself to settle on either one. They're both so terrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's probably more caused by the pacific decadal oscillation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...al_oscillation

I noticed San Diego's 30-year climate averages (1981-2010) is actually a little cooler than the previous one (1971-2000). For example average high in Aug used to be 78, now it's 76. July used to be 76, now its 75.
Apparently, it's not my imagination--the marine layer in the Los Angeles area and northern San Diego has been weakening for some time now.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
I live in New York (right outside NYC) and I still haven't put in my AC out of laziness

I'm doing alright!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM

505 posts, read 502,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
As someone who has lived in both cities, I can assure you NYC is far, far better than LA. Los Mangeles is easily the WORST major city in North America…

Horrific car traffic? Check.
Horrific sprawl? Check.
Horrific air quality? Check.
No foot traffic/pedestrian culture? Check.
A competitive and cutthroat culture ("crabs in a bucket mentality")? Check.
Tribal/insular social life? Check.
A pathetic 2 AM closing time? Check.
Full of fake, slimy, immoral people (LAnd of Snakes, as J. Cole would put it)? Check.
Flakiest women of any city in North America? Check.
Bad ratios? Check.
Having to wake up at 9 AM to watch sports games? Check.
Highest poverty rate of any of the 25 largest metro areas? Check.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-city-men.html
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/0...alifornia.html
Thanks for your completely irreverent commentary.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM

505 posts, read 502,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus1220 View Post
Literally can't even bring myself to settle on either one. They're both so terrible
Thanks for taking the time to let us know

Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 PM

403 posts, read 363,680 times
Actually, the only months I mind in NYC is Jan - March, which is peak of winter lol. Other than that, I actually really like Dec in NYC since it's so festive.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:13 PM

142 posts, read 222,990 times
NYC, unlike LA, has all 4 season....it's just that all of them suck. NYC is getting duller as it becomes more affluent but at least it isn't yet a failed whitebread city like $h*tcago.

The Death of a Once Great City: The fall of New York and the urban crisis of affluence

Last edited by savvysearch; 06-21-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
NYC, unlike LA, has all 4 season....it's just that all of them suck. NYC is getting duller as it becomes more affluent but at least it isn't yet a failed whitebread city like $h*tcago.

The Death of a Once Great City: The fall of New York and the urban crisis of affluence
NYC hasn't died. The author is probably an aging commie who's upset that it's not the 70s anymore

Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It looks like he's talking in the sense of releasing "pent up energy." He believes that since the winters in cold weather cities are harsh, the people there are filling to the brims with energy that they can finally burst out and unleash when temperatures finally warm up. But since warm weather cities feature warm temperatures all throughout the year, there is no such defined rise and fall of energy.

No, because people in those cities know what mornings and evenings are.
Heat index has been above 90 at 9 am and 9 pm in both Houston and Dallas recently.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 9,525 times
It's unfortunate this is the only non-closed thread for LA vs NY up right now as the main question gives NYC an advantage it wouldn't have it we're talking about an entire year since the toughest part of living in NYC is the dark, cold, wet, and snowy fall to early spring. Well, late July to early September are tough as well due to the heat and high humidity but at least it's sunny.

NYC is better in the short term. The whole look and feel is very unique and so many different things are close together. It's really hard to compete with that.

That said, as mentioned elsewhere, it eventually does lose its charm. That unique stuff becomes common. You no longer have that feeling of constant discovery. You start to pay a lot more attention to the negatives and realize they aren't short term issues but have been going on for decades with no hope they will ever get better. You realize how different the city is from November until April every year, where people become hermits and all social activities seem to be indoors in overcrowded, noisy, and often expensive places. You realize how much of the city is made up of insane, selfish, backstabbing workaholics, like all they live for is their career and trying to prove to everyone how great of a yuppie they are. The ease of dating that seemed so attractive before become exhausting as no one can commit to anyone and despite the gender balance being better than other cities for men, women still mostly just chase after the top guys and men are far more competitive with each other than in other cities, so many go to the gym regularly, wear fashionable clothes, have high salaries, generally just really on top of everything and are extremely confident. You get sick of spending $1500/month to live in a tiny room you share in an apartment with others in a decrepit old apartment. The invisible wall people feel living in NYC is real. Since so much is concentrated in Manhattan below central park and most people ditch their cars and rely on the subway, everything else deeper into the boroughs and beyond seems really inconvenient and foreign.

LA is still in the US, so people still have to work a lot but I think people do not define themselves so greatly by their career, status, and how hard they work but rather more by things they do outside of work. I think the space and more isolation (being in cars) makes people more friendly when they do interact in person and also helps with dating long term (you're not standing next to/interacting with 100 hot single people every day as you do in NYC). The weather is much better than NY's from fall to spring, but if you are one of the freaks who truly love the cold, it just doesn't get that cold there. Still, in the winter the overnight lows can drop to the 40s. Also, you can actually find places to ski/snowboard closer to LA than you can from NYC, not to mention all of the coast line. In general, it is really hard to beat all of the amazing natural sights around LA, even if a lot of the city itself is very bland and ugly compared to NYC. And for the time you spend to commute to interesting natural sights around NYC, you can go to even more breathtaking areas in California and year round.

LA isn't perfect though. The downtown is still nothing compared to Manhattan, it's a creepy ghost town in comparison, especially at night. It's also really a bunch of cities in one so you can live on one end and it can take hours to get to another end, forget having friends or dates who live more than a 45 min drive from you. Although rent may be cheaper than in NYC, when you include the cost of owning a car, the cost of living is at least equal. And though the public transportation keeps getting better, including their own subway/train system, it's still hard to have a social life and enjoy nature if you don't own a car. It can get uncomfortably hot and humid in the summer, it's not always perfect. Crime is a bigger issue in LA than NYC. There are tons more unsheltered homeless on the streets in LA than NYC. Also, all the wildfires around LA every year on top of their usual smog is a major negative.

All of these points factored in, I personally lean towards LA at the moment. I recommend anyone that has the opportunity to at least live in NYC for a year though to really experience it. A week vacation (or less) is just not enough time.

Last edited by RossGeller; 12-19-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City