Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

BBQs are nice, but like...you have one every single day? That seems expensive and excessive. Manhattan may lack backyards, but plenty of ground floor apartments have access to patios. In the outer boroughs (not the outskirts, the outer boroughs) there are plenty of places with backyards and patios. Parks become gathering places where people from all walks of life interact. Backyard BBQs are very exclusive and promote seclusion. I enjoy heading into a public park in NYC and people/dog watching. Striking up pleasant conversations with the people around you who you'll never see again, but bring a smile to your face, is a great experience in public parks.

Also, the warm nights of LA let people go out all night in shorts and t shirts. You can be very comfortable all night long on a rooftop bar in Manhattan, or with friends on a rooftop or in a backyard/patio in basically any neighborhood outside of Midtown/Lower Manhattan. Get away from the highrises, and most of those buildings have neighbors who know each other that share each other's rooftop or backyard spaces. Get into some parts of Brooklyn or Queens, and SFH are the norm, but they still have direct subway access to Manhattan. In LA, hanging out at night can require a light jacket and/or a pair of jeans to change into. Not here. During heatwaves it can get a little uncomfortable, but going out at night and never worrying about a chill in the air, and staying out late on a rooftop, or staying out late at the pool/beach is a great experience. Everywhere you'd hang out and go to does have A/C too, don't worry lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 10:40 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
That's why I prefer LA's layout, climate and vibe over NYC. You don't have to go to outer anything to experience things like a simple barbecue or year around indoor/outdoor living. NYC is just too crowded, way too hot and humid in the summer, especially around all that concrete and glass in Manhattan. And many dont have a/c. Even at night it's too hot and people are sweating.. Here in LA at night it's nice and comfortable. It's simply a matter of preference.
LA is crowded but in a different way. Los Angeles has more cars than NYC while being less than half the size.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
who doesn’t have A/C in 2018? I’ve never known anyone to not have A/C. That’s not a common thing at all!

Also, traveling between Manhattan and Brooklyn/Queens/The Bronx can be as simple as one subway stop (AKA <5 mins)! But you don’t even have to leave Manhattan to have backyards or outdoor space. LES, the villages, and SoHo for example have many buildings with backyards. This building here in Manhattan has a backyard, for example, and there are plenty others like it.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/56...97ca77d47fae85

Old 06-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
who doesn’t have A/C in 2018? I’ve never known anyone to not have A/C. That’s not a common thing at all!

Also, traveling between Manhattan and Brooklyn/Queens/The Bronx can be as simple as one subway stop (AKA <5 mins)! But you don’t even have to leave Manhattan to have backyards or outdoor space. LES, the villages, and SoHo for example have many buildings with backyards. This building here in Manhattan has a backyard, for example, and there are plenty others like it.
Just someone from LA that doesn't know NYC obviously.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Spring in NYC = Beautiful!

Summer in NYC (starting in late-June) = OH GOD KILL ME NOW!

Autumn in NYC = Beautiful!
How long does each bout of seasonal weather last? I ask because I often hear people rhapsodizing about their beautiful springs, and then I find out that winter lasts 5 months and spring is 3 weeks.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
I don’t have A/C, nor does anyone I know, but you don’t really need it anywhere near the coast in Southern California. I don’t have central heat for that matter either.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I don’t have A/C, nor does anyone I know, but you don’t really need it anywhere near the coast in Southern California. I don’t have central heat for that matter either.
Everyone in NYC has some form of A/C. And I love when people say you don't really need it anywhere near the coast in SoCal. That's a lie. Maybe if you like sleeping in warm weather. But I'm born and raised coastal SoCal. Playa del Rey and Marina del Rey almost all of my life. While it's true most of the year you don't need it, there are some days where you absolutely would kill for A/C. Having it for those few days makes it all worth the money. With global warming, the occurrences are more frequent, at least before I moved they were. I remember specifically there was a night when the temperature didn't go under 78 and it was almost 100% humidity. I couldn't sleep. At all. LA summers have been getting more humid. I don't remember rain EVER in summer growing up. The last few years of living there, I remember rain a few times per summer. Humidity in summer keeps the air warmer into the night, therefore making A/C a great asset to be comfortable to fall asleep.

Seeing apartments in places like Mid Wilshire and Beverly Hills without A/C gives me anxiety for other people moving to LA from small town Midwest who know nothing about LA. Girl. In summer it's gonna be over 100 possible in those places. Definitely over 90 a few days per year. You're gonna want it. Trust me. But landlords and realtors will tell you you don't because it's easier for them.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I was talking about in NYC. That was in response to someone that said that many NYers do not have access to A/C...

Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

Oh, and rooftops!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
How long does each bout of seasonal weather last? I ask because I often hear people rhapsodizing about their beautiful springs, and then I find out that winter lasts 5 months and spring is 3 weeks.
It can vary from year to year. What you described is pretty much how it went this year lol... and same thing happened with Summer/Fall last year. It stayed hot through October.

Normally I would say Spring weather is the end of March until the end of May. Fall weather is usually from end of September until around Thanksgiving.

You can see the climate data on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City#Climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, and rooftops!
I’ll take a good rooftop party over a backyard party any day. I love both but nothing beats a good rooftop with a Manhattan view though imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City