Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times

Advertisements

I voted for LA, but NYC definitely is a rich people playground that can be a heck of a lot of fun. If you’re not rich, NYC sucks, badly.

NYC is culturally past its prime compared to what’s going on in LA, especially in regards to food, entertainment and art, and just general way of life, especially with LA’s downtown renaissance, which means you can have the NYC experience there too. Uber/Lyft is what really changed LA for the better.

NYC is too gentrified, too dominated by finance-bros, and worst, seems to celebrate it. Too many horrible restaurants concepts surviving on every block. But if you live in a rich bubble of luxury, NYC is the most luxurious place. It’s just not “of the moment” anymore like LA is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
I voted for LA, but NYC definitely is a rich people playground that can be a heck of a lot of fun. If you’re not rich, NYC sucks, badly.

NYC is culturally past its prime compared to what’s going on in LA, especially in regards to food, entertainment and art, and just general way of life, especially with LA’s downtown renaissance, which means you can have the NYC experience there too. Uber/Lyft is what really changed LA for the better.

NYC is too gentrified, too dominated by finance-bros, and worst, seems to celebrate it. Too many horrible restaurants concepts surviving on every block. But if you live in a rich bubble of luxury, NYC is the most luxurious place. It’s just not “of the moment” anymore like LA is today.
I don't think you know NYC that well.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:31 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
I prefer Los Angeles. The weather itself blows NYC weather into the Uranus creating a bloody mess.

I like hanging out at the pool and doing backyard BBQs.
I like hanging out at a friends pool and him doing backyard BBQs
I like hanging out with a random pool and eating their backyard BBQ.

Thats what people in LA do.

The people go to the parks and do BBQs and hang a pinata on a tree and hit it.

Then everyone heads to the Hollywood Bowl or Greek Theater sit under the stars and listen to BTS songs.

Then we hop on our cars with surfboards on top and go down to Malibu and hang a 10 and ride a boogie.

Then head back home and relax at the pool and eating BBQ.

Thats something you cant do in NYC. And it sucks. and the weather

Old 06-12-2018, 11:43 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
While this can be true for the most part, if you're through and through a city person who wants to be in a lively urban environment and never/rarely drive a car, LA is not the city for you. You can manage in places like DTLA, parts of Hwood, and WeHo, but having a car is still beneficial in most of LA. OTOH, having a car in a city Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, or SF can actually be a hassle. For me, I'd rather not drive a car every single day. The less I drive, the happier of a person I am. So living in LA would never be a completely positive experience unless I was able to live and work in DTLA and all my friends came to DTLA for everything. Because going to house parties or bar hopping in other neighborhoods would either be time consuming to get there on public transit for most neighborhoods/cities, or very expensive in a Lyft/Uber/cab.
I don't think you give LA enough credit as there's more than just the limited parts you're talking about where you don't need to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post

Maybe NYC is too gentrified, but NYC's really large so there's plenty of parts that aren't gentrified. NYC actually has a lot of subsidized housing in one way or another and a lot of social programs compared to an average US city. There is plenty of great things to do for free and most neighborhoods have a lot to do within walking distance and are well-connected to other spots by mass transit. New York also has a highly diversified economy, so saying finance-bros dominate it is pretty silly.

LA's downtown is pretty neat, but calling it a NYC experience is sort of an oversimplification. It really doesn't sound like you have a good finger on the pulse for NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I prefer Los Angeles. The weather itself blows NYC weather into the Uranus creating a bloody mess.

Then everyone heads to the Hollywood Bowl or Greek Theater sit under the stars and listen to BTS songs.

Then we hop on our cars with surfboards on top and go down to Malibu and hang a 10 and ride a boogie.

While the weather isn't usually to my liking, most people would prefer LA's weather to NYC's.

I'm not big on hanging out at the pool, though I love grilling. I guess it's far less common in most of Manhattan, but pretty common to grill in the park or in backyards in the rest of the boroughs--and I LOVE HITTING PINATAS! I love making them, too.

A much, much larger proportion of NYC is devoted to greenspace than LA does actually and one of the things I've disliked about LA is how they reserved mostly just the hillsides for parks with very few expanses in the basin near where people live. Even worse, parks have parking lots. I think as LA gets more infill, those parking spots will be eliminated and perhaps the city will try to make better parks.

Another thing I'd love to see in LA is much better biking infrastructure, the city is trying but there's still a long, long way to go.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think you give LA enough credit as there's more than just the limited parts you're talking about where you don't need to drive.

Maybe NYC is too gentrified, but NYC's really large so there's plenty of parts that aren't gentrified. NYC actually has a lot of subsidized housing in one way or another and a lot of social programs compared to an average US city. There is plenty of great things to do for free and most neighborhoods have a lot to do within walking distance and are well-connected to other spots by mass transit. New York also has a highly diversified economy, so saying finance-bros dominate it is pretty silly.

LA's downtown is pretty neat, but calling it a NYC experience is sort of an oversimplification. It really doesn't sound like you have a good finger on the pulse for NYC.

While the weather isn't usually to my liking, most people would prefer LA's weather to NYC's.

I'm not big on hanging out at the pool, though I love grilling. I guess it's far less common in most of Manhattan, but pretty common to grill in the park or in backyards in the rest of the boroughs--and I LOVE HITTING PINATAS! I love making them, too.

A much, much larger proportion of NYC is devoted to greenspace than LA does actually and one of the things I've disliked about LA is how they reserved mostly just the hillsides for parks with very few expanses in the basin near where people live. Even worse, parks have parking lots. I think as LA gets more infill, those parking spots will be eliminated and perhaps the city will try to make better parks.

Another thing I'd love to see in LA is much better biking infrastructure, the city is trying but there's still a long, long way to go.
Exactly, a ton of people in the outer boroughs have backyards. There are quite a few detached houses, rowhomes, and small apartment buildings with backyards where people can barbecue.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Exactly, a ton of people in the outer boroughs have backyards. There are quite a few detached houses, rowhomes, and small apartment buildings with backyards where people can barbecue.
That's why I prefer LA's layout, climate and vibe over NYC. You don't have to go to outer anything to experience things like a simple barbecue or year around indoor/outdoor living. NYC is just too crowded, way too hot and humid in the summer, especially around all that concrete and glass in Manhattan. And many dont have a/c. Even at night it's too hot and people are sweating.. Here in LA at night it's nice and comfortable. It's simply a matter of preference.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
That's why I prefer LA's layout, climate and vibe over NYC. You don't have to go to outer anything to experience things like a simple barbecue or year around indoor/outdoor living. NYC is just too crowded, way too hot and humid in the summer, especially around all that concrete and glass in Manhattan. And many dont have a/c. Even at night it's too hot and people are sweating.. Here in LA at night it's nice and comfortable. It's simply a matter of preference.
A very large chunk of the city has what I'm talking about and it's not just in fringe areas on the outskirts of the city. Just because somewhere isn't Manhattan doesn't mean it's in the outskirts.

Still, I don't personally find barbecuing to be that import, I live in the suburbs and I rarely barbecue.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post

What do you think the weather is like in the Spring, Summer, Fall in New York? I live north of New York and people still have cookouts and go to the beach here.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
What do you think the weather is like in the Spring, Summer, Fall in New York? I live north of New York and people still have cookouts and go to the beach here.
Spring in NYC = Beautiful!

Summer in NYC (starting in late-June) = OH GOD KILL ME NOW!

Autumn in NYC = Beautiful!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The outer boroughs from the Manhattan business districts is like going from DTLA to Koreatown or some such, possibly faster and more pleasant since you can ride a pretty boat! Outer boroughs is short hand for not Manhattan--though the northern parts of Manhattan are quite different from the business district as well.

I agree, crowds and night temperatures are preferences. I think summer days gets too hot and humid here on some days, though that's perfect for the beach (but then, I don't always get to the beaches on those days). I like a warm, though not hot, summer night because the city is great during those times.

I have an A/C, and I believe it's relatively rare to not have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City