Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM

403 posts, read 363,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I agree with you on the weather. I'm not a fan of the weather here either. I'm a city boy though and I don't like suburban environments or relying on a car. Plus I need my late-night parties/nightlife so I'm happy in NYC. NYC is the only reason I put up with it and I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else in this climate. My perfect dream City would be NYC with LA climate
Same here
As much as I love LA - I'm too much of a city girl to really like living there. I'd be content with it but will miss the city too much. Plus... it's NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:23 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Warm cities or cities with good weather tend to be the most boring in warm months. Cold cities tend to have more exciting warm months.

Cold cities are ready to go nuts when it’s hot outside while in warm cities it’s the same ole same ole. That’s been my observation!

Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Warm cities or cities with good weather tend to be the most boring in warm months. Cold cities tend to have more exciting warm months.

Cold cities are ready to go nuts when it’s hot outside while in warm cities it’s the same ole same ole. That’s been my observation!
Depends on the city probably. San Diego was always more lively and fun during the summer. I'm sure cities like Houston/Dallas are slow because it's so unbearably hot there.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Those months are probably a good split for the time to live in New York City and the rest to be when you live in Los Angeles. I'd also take December in NYC if I knew I was going to be out for the next three months. It’d give LA some time for some rain to flush the streets and green things up a bit and the holiday season in New York is more interesting.

Also, good beaches are more accessible in New York City than Los Angeles. You can get to them via many different ways, there is a lot of variation among the beaches/waterfronts, and the water temperature usually feels just right in the summer.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-08-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Depends on the city probably. San Diego was always more lively and fun during the summer. I'm sure cities like Houston/Dallas are slow because it's so unbearably hot there.
It looks like he's talking in the sense of releasing "pent up energy." He believes that since the winters in cold weather cities are harsh, the people there are filling to the brims with energy that they can finally burst out and unleash when temperatures finally warm up. But since warm weather cities feature warm temperatures all throughout the year, there is no such defined rise and fall of energy.

Quote:
I'm sure cities like Houston/Dallas are slow because it's so unbearably hot there.
No, because people in those cities know what mornings and evenings are.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It looks like he's talking in the sense of releasing "pent up energy." He believes that since the winters in cold weather cities are harsh, the people there are filling to the brims with energy that they can finally burst out and unleash when temperatures finally warm up. But since warm weather cities feature warm temperatures all throughout the year, there is no such defined rise and fall of energy.
Yeah I got that. I was pointing out just because a city experiences relatively warm temps year round doesn't mean there can't be a defined rise and fall of energy. Summer is San Diego's peak tourist season and you can definitely tell how much busier it is than other times of the year. Just like the energy changes in winter for Arizona and South Florida.
Quote:
\No, because people in those cities know what mornings and evenings are.
So dead during the day? Exactly what I was referring to.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I got that. I was pointing out just because a city experiences relatively warm temps year round doesn't mean there can't be a defined rise and fall of energy. Summer is San Diego's peak tourist season and you can definitely tell how much busier it is than other times of the year. Just like the energy changes in winter for Arizona and South Florida.
That's fair, though I took it that he was referring more to local residents.

Quote:
So dead during the day? Exactly what I was referring to.
Except that you didn't specify that. And they're not dead during a summer day, just less activity than with mornings and evenings. In fact, you'll probably see much more activity during their summer days than with their winter days (even the mild winter days).

Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That's fair, though I took it that he was referring more to local residents.
Don't really see why that matters. Lots of tourists in those colder weather cities in summer to so likely wasn't just talking about locals.
Quote:
Except that you didn't specify that. And they're not dead during a summer day, just less than with mornings and evenings. In fact, you'll probably see much more activity during their summer days than with their winter days.
Didn't really think I needed to since that is when most people are active, at least in places not oppressively hot and humid like Houston.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Don't really see why that matters. Lots of tourists in those colder weather cities in summer too so likely wasn't just talking about locals.
He talks about cold cities "getting ready to go nuts" when the weather warms up. The only people doing that waiting would be the locals...

Quote:
Didn't really think I needed to since that is when most people are active, at least in places not oppressively hot and humid like Houston.
Ironically, even in the Texas cities, the greatest activity is still tends to overwhelmingly occur in June-Sept. They still do plenty of picnics, BBQs, festivities, street-balling, etc. Even oft-noted comfortable months like November don't have as much activity:
https://www.nctcog.org/trans/sustdev...eport_2015.pdf

Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
He talks about cold cities "getting ready to go nuts" when the weather warms up. The only people doing that waiting would be the locals...
But they aren't the only ones going "nuts" during the summer either way. Again don't really see what it matters where the energy comes from whether it be locals or tourists. Are you under the impression that only tourists come from warmer weather cities or something?
Quote:
Ironically, even in the Texas cities, the greatest activity is still tends to overwhelmingly occur in June-Sept. They still do plenty of picnics, BBQs, festivities, street-balling, etc. Even oft-noted comfortable months like November don't have as much activity:
https://www.nctcog.org/trans/sustdev...eport_2015.pdf
Makes sense, the heat is at least consistent unlike winter where it seems to be a crap shoot and an arctic air mass can make things freezing anytime. Plus school is out like everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City