Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the 2016 census estimates for PCSAs as it pertains to how your PCSA performed
Euphoria 2 3.23%
Excitement 11 17.74%
Satisfaction 14 22.58%
Average 9 14.52%
Disappointment 17 27.42%
Frustration 5 8.06%
Other 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This link doesn't take me to those numbers, just to a main page. From there, I can't find the information. Are you sure that the link is correct?
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...cal-areas.html

Under "Estimates of Resident Population Change and Rankings: July 1, 2015 to July 1, 2016", click "Combined Statistical Areas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Metros of 1million or more people ranked. I've been following this for a few years now, some metros that have been pretty consistent in trending have done an about face. I'm thinking this is a correction from previous years and less a representative that all of the sudden something has changed. That may be the case in some places. More likely than not they are outliers.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM

182 posts, read 226,363 times
so is it out?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
And with a population growth of +79 people, Metro Detroit posts growth!

However that can be broken down to a growth of:
+7,775 for Warren/Troy/Farmington Hills
-7,696 for Detroit/Dearborn/Livonia

So.. make of it what you will - if we assume population loss is equal across all of Wayne County that's only a loss of about 2,600 residents for the City of Detroit. Not quite Mayor Duggan's expectations of a stagnant population or minor growth yet, but a major improvement over the past.. .. few.. decades..?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 226,363 times
So it's official that Nashville is the biggest city in Tennessee?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
So it's official that Nashville is the biggest city in Tennessee?
It's not official until the 2020 census. However estimates for cities won't be out until May to make that declaration.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
And with a population growth of +79 people, Metro Detroit posts growth!

However that can be broken down to a growth of:
+7,775 for Warren/Troy/Farmington Hills
-7,696 for Detroit/Dearborn/Livonia

So.. make of it what you will - if we assume population loss is equal across all of Wayne County that's only a loss of about 2,600 residents for the City of Detroit. Not quite Mayor Duggan's expectations of a stagnant population or minor growth yet, but a major improvement over the past.. .. few.. decades..?
Detroit will shoulder the lions share of Wayne Counties losses as it always has. I would expect it to show a greater decline than that.

In terms of Metro Detroit. Lets hope that commuting threshold that keeps Ann Arbor in it's own MSA is crossed and it is added to Detroit's MSA by the 2023 alignment as it should be. That would create a more accurate growth picture for the region.

Last edited by mjlo; 03-23-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
It looks like Minneapolis/St. Paul is the Midwest leader again by quite a wide margin when considering the actual number of people gained in the metro area, gaining almost 33,000 last year. My home area of Kansas City not too far behind, gaining 20,000. Poor St. Louis and Milwaukee, now losing people in addition to Chicago and Cleveland. Des Moines is very healthy for a metro it's size.
A closer look at MSP shows that most of this growth is still occurring in the inner cities and counties, with a good balance also taking place in the burbs, so I consider that a good thing. I just wish the rest of the Midwest wasn't so anemic in regards to population growth.

Places like DFW, Austin, Phoenix, growing way too fast for my taste, but I suppose some would consider that a good thing unless you have to commute regularly by highway in those areas. Increasing congestion in MSP is bad enough.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 03-23-2017 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
It looks like Minneapolis/St. Paul is the Midwest leader again by quite a distance when considering the actual number of people gained in the metro area, gaining almost 33,000 last year. My home area of Kansas City not too far behind, gaining 20,000. Poor St. Louis and Milwaukee, now losing people in addition to Chicago and Cleveland. Des Moines is very healthy for a metro it's size.
A closer look at MSP shows that most of this growth is still occurring in the inner cities and counties, with a good balance also taking place in the burbs, so I consider that a good thing. I just wish the rest of the Midwest wasn't so anemic in regards to population growth.

I'm not sure I agree that St Louis and Milwaukee had an about face and are losing people. I think it's a correction from over estimates in the previous few releases. The bureau adjusts estimates every year after they release them. The other thing that happens is some years you'll notice a sizeable deviation from what has been a consistent trend. This is true for both St. Louis and Milwaukee. I expect to see them post gains next release. Des Moines is definitely an outlier in terms of growth, but it's been consistently strong over the years so the data tends to support this years jump. It is without a doubt the fastest growing metropolitan region in the Midwest.

The top 20 Midwestern Metro estimates by Largest city

Old 03-23-2017, 01:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
So.....will Chicago ever hit the elusive 10 million mega-city threshold? Literally only 51k people added between 2010-2016 and the majority of that was during the post-recession years.

Des Moines in terms of percentage growth is basically a sunbelt city. Impressive to say the least. Minneapolis is also doing well...manageable growth. Don't think it will ever have sun-belt like growth simply because of climate, but the moderate growth allows the entire area to be very livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City