Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
NYC gets all of Manhattan as its Core or Greater Downtown of that city. Technically it was Lower-Manhattan with further north Midtown, Uptown. But most seem to merely use the Loop as Chicago's. A lot of residential neighborhoods between Midtown and Lower-Manhattan. Some might argue that these neighborhoods are not really the Downtown (as most cities have one defined)? But Manhattan as if its own continent ALWAY gets the whole Island a the Core.

Chicago gets the Loop in peoples eyes and Chicagoans should universally say it is technically more as the city itself defines it so. Why people keep saying its "how you WANT to define it" floors me. Here ALL Manhattan sand universally is as Downtown NYC and poster pushing the Manhattans beast (I don't deny that). Keep judging Chicago's downtown as the Loop

This area is still a larger then the "city of Chicago" defines its "Central Business District" as I posted the link in a previous post. But IT IS A MORE FAIR COMPARISON if using ALL Manhattan. Especially the ABOVE 8 Sq/mi. used above.

* It is very unfair for many here to keep it on the Loop for Chicago's downtown vs. All Manhattan Island for NYC's downtown.
The problem with talking about "Downtown" NYC is that in NYC that word doesn't mean the same thing as "Downtown" in other cities. In Manhattan Downtown just means Lower Manhattan, roughly south of 14th st. There is a CBD in Lower Manhattan roughly south of canal, but Midtown Manhattan makes up an even bigger CBD. In other cities "Downtown" usually includes more than just the business district, but also surrounding areas at the core of the city that usually include nightlife, restaurants, museums, parks, and other forms of culture/entertainment. I think the areas between Fidi and Midtown definitely qualify as NYC's core/"Downtown".

But I agree with you 1000% that the entire island of Manhattan does not count as NYC's core. I think a better definition would be what New Yorkers call "The City", which is Manhattan roughly south of 110th st (the top of Central Park. Or some will say 96th st. I definitely don't consider anything past Harlem to be "The City" (AKA core/"Downtown"). I don't even really consider Harlem to be The City either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 04:46 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
The problem with talking about "Downtown" NYC is that in NYC that word doesn't mean the same thing as "Downtown" in other cities. In Manhattan Downtown just means Lower Manhattan, roughly south of 14th st. There is a CBD in Lower Manhattan roughly south of canal, but Midtown Manhattan makes up an even bigger CBD. In other cities "Downtown" usually includes more than just the business district, but also surrounding areas at the core of the city that usually include nightlife, restaurants, museums, parks, and other forms of culture/entertainment. I think the areas between Fidi and Midtown definitely qualify as NYC's core/"Downtown".

But I agree with you 1000% that the entire island of Manhattan does not count as NYC's core. I think a better definition would be what New Yorkers call "The City", which is Manhattan roughly south of 110th st (the top of Central Park. Or some will say 96th st. I definitely don't consider anything past Harlem to be "The City" (AKA core/"Downtown"). I don't even really consider Harlem to be The City either.

Well Harlem is included in the Uptown NYC 2 hour bus tour.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Well Harlem is included in the Uptown NYC 2 hour bus tour.
Times are changing. They have those buses in Brooklyn and The Bronx now too.

But to be clear on what I mean, NYC = all 5 boroughs. "The City" is just a term NYers use that is the equivalent to the word "Downtown" in other cities.

I'm from Queens and currently live in Brooklyn. So I am from, and currently live in The City of New York. But if a NYer asks me if I live in "the city" I say no, I live in BK. If someone from Upstate or somewhere else in The US asks me then I say yes because they're talking about all of New York City.

It's kind of hard to explain + confusing for people not from here. It's just a local terminology thing.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Times are changing. They have those buses in Brooklyn and The Bronx now too.

But to be clear on what I mean, NYC = all 5 boroughs. "The City" is just a term NYers use that is the equivalent to the word "Downtown" in other cities.

I'm from Queens and currently live in Brooklyn. So I am from, and currently live in The City of New York. But if a NYer asks me if I live in "the city" I say no, I live in BK. If someone from Upstate or somewhere else in The US asks me then I say yes because they're talking about all of New York City.

It's kind of hard to explain + confusing for people not from here. It's just a local terminology thing.

I did think that Chicago's downtown was close to the size of Manhattan but of course not all 5 boroughs.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I did think that Chicago's downtown was close to the size of Manhattan but of course not all 5 boroughs.
Downtown Chicago is roughly around 4 sq miles or so, as officiallg defined by the city. However, the Northside east of the river(Lincoln Park to Rogers Park)
has the same land area as Manhattan at 23 sq miles, give or take.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:13 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
The moment I saw this thread, I knew it would lead to trouble.

Plain and simple, Manhattan is an absolute beast. Chicago, as huge as it is, is simply not in the same ballpark. Every time I am in NYC, I wonder how this city got so big, and even more flummoxed by how it can sustain and thrive. Folks, Chicago is a massive city with an incredibly vibrant downtown, limitless things to do, incredible architecture, yadda, yadda. But even saying that, downtown Chicago is nowhere near the size and vibrancy of Manhattan. *Maybe* you can compare DT Chicago to Midtown but I think even that's too tall a task.

BTW-- Huge props to DavePa for fighting the good fight on behalf of Chicago.
Actually, you can compare any city to any other city...even when one of them is...New York! (gasp!)

True story.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:24 PM

When I saw the photo of the Chicago Theater at night it made me think that had a section similar to Times Square. But I see I was wrong but I am still impressed by that boat tour and beach.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I surely do not say all things are same tier. But why should Chicago's Shopping of highest-end flagship stores to boutique varieties. Be seen TOTALLY AS FLYOVER to Manhattans quantity?

Some photos I took and I liked the result I captured. N Michigan Ave surely gets over-run with even tourist. But still the city can have pride in it does have top #2-#4 shopping street in the General National recognition links and makes International list ones too. European cities premier shopping streets. Are still are placed over 5th Ave in many links I read.

On N Michigan Ave you can walk by its elegant foliage and right onto a beach at its start or end. w/tiki-bar too....
Again, I never said Chicago had bad shopping or lacked high-end retail, its doesn't.... What I said was that NYC shopping beats Chicago, which is most certainly does. NYC is the fashion capital of the US and one of the fashion capitals of the world, Chicago is not... I don't know why you are still arguing that point.

Also, its not just about what city has the best shopping street in the US, there is an element of high fashion in NYC that you do not find anywhere in the US outside of NYC (a little in LA). If you are confused I can explain in depth what I mean.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
New York shopping is on another level. It has the flagship store for every retailer in the country. Fashion starts in New York and trickles to the rest of the US.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 PM

91 posts, read 119,861 times
I have worked in down town Chicago for 40 years. This is my 27 year living in a condo in down town Chicago. I have vacationed Manhattan 2-3 times a year for ten years. When asked by the Toys R Us cashier which do I like best I said; Chicago is awesome and New York is exciting. Chicago is more modern in appearance vs New York appearance as an old city. There are many nice entertainment venues in down town Chicago and also in a few surrounding suburbs. Both cities have much to offer and see. The size of apartments in Chicago are not as small as those in New York City. Example; a studio is 640 square feet in Chicago versus 525 square feet or smaller in New York. Both cities have nice colleges and nice places to work. All four seasons are represented in Chicago. Since the high rise projects were destroyed a few years ago some which occupied "prime property" many of the gang members have intermingled into working Black people's neighborhoods. Crime surges as gangs are two blocks radius from each other. A retired officer said this accounts for many of the shootings. These areas are mainly in some areas of the West, South and North side. The down town areas are still safe areas although criminals occasionally will try to commit crimes in down town or some suburbs.

Last edited by pajones3; 05-01-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City