Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Threads have been through this Midwest vs. East Coast vibe. It generally is used to say one is much much slower and has less sophistication. If you mean differently? Again Chicago generally is given a more fast-paced style then most of the Midwest. I see no warrant to say it is slower (if you mean this) in pace then Philly. As I said. Plop Chicago down on the East Coast? It would not be outta pace...... place LOL.
It's not really about pace, it's about the mood and demeanor and vibe of the city. Yeah, Chicago is faster paced than other Midwest cities (a byproduct of its sheer size), but it's still distinctly Midwest, and the people to ME are more similar to their counterparts in St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc than they are to people in NYC and Boston and Philly. Period. This is my opinion. I'm not really sure why some find it offensive to say Chicago feels like the Midwest. It is the Midwest. "If you plop Chicago on the East Coast it wouldn't be out of place" is irrelevant, since A) that will never happen; and B) the same could be said for several other Midwestern cities certain ways. Yes, Chicago is bigger than Philly. Yes, it has a vibrant urban core and lots of cool stuff happening. Philly feels more East Coast because it is more East Coast, and it has that edge that Chicago doesn't. I can't explain it, it's just a feeling. I echo what cpomp said-- there is not a single city in the USA that compares favorably to New York City with regard to urban experience, abundance and overall energy, and that is because New York City is so much bigger than any other US city. Period.

Last edited by STLgasm; 05-01-2017 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
NYC is larger both physically, and population wise. Yes, Manhattan is 22 square miles. The Loop is like 2 square miles. To the psyche, Manhattan never ends. Technically that obviously is not the case but Manhattan goes as far as the eye can see. It f*cks with you mentally.

But 2 square miles is a really big deal in the Midwest. There are no other cities with that level of concentration of high rise buildings.

A better way of looking at Chicago would be sort of how I tend to look at Atlanta, LA, or DC. I don't consider Atlanta for it's downtown alone, but for all of the areas with skyscrapers together, like as a collective. DC is impressive, with all of the buildings at the same height, but that area is minuscule unless you consider other high rise areas in the metro, such as those in Maryland and Northern Virginia. This is what makes DC impressive.

We'll never have another Manhattan; the ship has sailed on that one and I'm not even sure that level of overcrowding is even necessary. But it is fun to experience. Maybe cities like Chicago and Atlanta would be bigger were it not for their fires. Hard to tell. Someone starts building a bunch of high rises on the Southside like they're doing in the outer boroughs in NYC, particularly in Brooklyn and Queens, surely we'll have a different type of conversation about Chicago.

This is an interesting link. I can't think of another Midwestern city that has 52 high rise projects in construction. In the Midwest that is like another city entirely. That is why Chicago is a big deal.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Chicago the city itself. Defines what is its" Greater Business District" To me that is defining its Downtown. The Loop is like less then 1/2 of this area. I post it when some refer to downtown as the Loop. Heck, its N Michigan Ave shopping is totally north of the Loop. Who would not see it as downtown?

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

I'd expand it to include the Gold Coast to Lincoln Park and area unofficially called the Near South Loop. But if vibrancy to nightlife of downtown Chicago. Just the Loop is way short of what is its downtown.

Just if a city defines its own core. Those boundaries are a minimum to use.

Lincoln Park is too far north to be considered the central business district. IMO, it's Roosevelt x Halsted x North (and that's a push) x the Lake.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
I think most historians argue that the Chicago Fire of 1871 had a positive affect on the growth of the city, allowing for better quality of buildings, as well as better urban design such as alleyways so we don't have to put our trash out on the street like in New York.

Anyway, advice for the OP: don't try and compare downtown Chicago to Manhattan. Two different beasts in two different regions. Most of the people I know who disappoint themselves with Chicago are those that come here thinking Chicago is New York Lite. It's not. Chicago is a great city in it's own right. I would also recommend getting out into some of the neighborhoods. Tons of great food all around.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
The moment I saw this thread, I knew it would lead to trouble.

Plain and simple, Manhattan is an absolute beast. Chicago, as huge as it is, is simply not in the same ballpark. Every time I am in NYC, I wonder how this city got so big, and even more flummoxed by how it can sustain and thrive. Folks, Chicago is a massive city with an incredibly vibrant downtown, limitless things to do, incredible architecture, yadda, yadda. But even saying that, downtown Chicago is nowhere near the size and vibrancy of Manhattan. *Maybe* you can compare DT Chicago to Midtown but I think even that's too tall a task.

BTW-- Huge props to DavePa for fighting the good fight on behalf of Chicago.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I think most historians argue that the Chicago Fire of 1871 had a positive affect on the growth of the city, allowing for better quality of buildings, as well as better urban design such as alleyways so we don't have to put our trash out on the street like in New York.

Anyway, advice for the OP: don't try and compare downtown Chicago to Manhattan. Two different beasts in two different regions. Most of the people I know who disappoint themselves with Chicago are those that come here thinking Chicago is New York Lite. It's not. Chicago is a great city in it's own right. I would also recommend getting out into some of the neighborhoods. Tons of great food all around.

That's I wanted to ask because my friend did make it seem like Chicago was a slightly smaller NYC in the midwest.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Can you explain your comparison to Philadelphia? My friend who has been to both cities said Philly's downtown was much smaller in comparison to Chicago.
I think you might have misread what I wrote.

I was stating that Manhattan is like having larger versions of each downtown (Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago's) sandwiched next to each other not that Philadelphia had a similar downtown to Chicago.

The part of Manhattan that I find superficially similar to a larger, denser Center City is basically the Villages and adjacent neighborhoods which is characterized by lots of historic rowhouse architecture, lots of mid-rise streets, a less strict grid often with narrower streets as part of that grid, a plethora of small parks/squares, and very thoroughly mixed use as residential, commercial, and retail.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 PM

307 posts, read 330,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

BTW-- Huge props to DavePa for fighting the good fight on behalf of Chicago.

Yes, he will forever be remembered in our hearts.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post

Totally, the city had the Great Fire say NO to its old 1st city dense built and No to how Manhattan and Brooklyn were building and a street-grid that required set-backs and alleyways.To me a better result for a more green yet Urban city.

There is plenty of Manhattanizing the last few decades in Chi's core. Mid-rise thru Skyscraper living, that it surely shines and has a very respectable level of. Why the "just the Loop" comments and 100000% better shopping comments even? Just was not my opinion.

I surely do not say all things are same tier. But why should Chicago's Shopping of highest-end flagship stores to boutique varieties. Be seen TOTALLY AS FLYOVER to Manhattans quantity?

Some photos I took and I liked the result I captured. N Michigan Ave surely gets over-run with even tourist. But still the city can have pride in it does have top #2-#4 shopping street in the General National recognition links and makes International list ones too. European cities premier shopping streets. Are still are placed over 5th Ave in many links I read.

On N Michigan Ave you can walk by its elegant foliage and right onto a beach at its start or end. w/tiki-bar too....

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Totally, the city had the Great Fire say NO to its old 1st city dense built and No to how Manhattan and Brooklyn were building and a street-grid that required set-backs and alleyways.To me a better result for a more green yet Urban city.

There is plenty of Manhattanizing the last few decades in Chi's core. Mid-rise thru Skyscraper living, that it surely shines and has a very respectable level of. Why the "just the Loop" comments and 100000% better shopping comments even? Just was not my opinion.

I surely do not say all things are same tier. But why should Chicago's Shopping of highest-end flagship stores to boutique varieties. Be seen TOTALLY AS FLYOVER to Manhattans quantity?

Some photos I took and I liked the result I captured. N Michigan Ave surely gets over-run with even tourist. But still the city can have pride in it does have top #2-#4 shopping street in the General National recognition links and makes International list ones too. European cities premier shopping streets. Are still are placed over 5th Ave in many links I read.

On N Michigan Ave you can walk by its elegant foliage and right onto a beach at its start or end. w/tiki-bar too....

The Chicago boat tour and beach is something I'm looking forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City