Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,736 times

Advertisements

This

I absolutely love Chicago and I work in NYC and what Fitzrovian says is spot on. Chicago is a BIG city but NYC is a beast, it's three times the size in population and not many places in the world can say they can match 15-20 miles of solid concrete and humanity so it's not an insult on any level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:11 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Queens, New York City looking toward Manhattan

Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I like Manhattan for streets like this

I lived in Manhattan last summer for work, fun experience but it is a grind! Also extremely expense.

The view I had in Midtown lol.
Family Member's apartment downtown:
Staying in DT Chicago along the river this summer for a mini-vacation. I am excited.
You won't find the block after block of gritty Tenements with exposed fire escapes as your pictures show, in Chicago. The closest is the few blocks of Printers Row lofts in the loop. Of some oldest skyscrapers converted to loft living. Other areas of warehouses to lofts could?

But After the Great Chicago fire of 1871. The choices to rebuild thru New "Second City" became a resounding? No tenement-style in Chicago. Even Row housing it gained some early and general high-end. But that was shunned to then.

Chicago's street-grid also became standard with set-backs of the housing in neighborhoods so housing to the sidewalk/street is primarily on main streets. Alleys standard too.

Chicago's original DOWNTOWN the Loop has TENEMENT level living (1st 5 pictures) and look .Printers Row (1st picture is CLOSEST. River North neighborhood has warehousing to Lofts tenement aspects (LAST picture). Once you leave the core Lower level living Chicago is NOT Many stories of Tenements I prevented. NEXT TO LAST picture is in the Loop again.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It doesn't.

I wouldn't compare them. It is too one sided. One of them is vastly larger and far more encompassing (IMO superior). Imagine buying a car and after the first week you really begin to take in all of its features and truly appreciate all it has to offer. You're just starting to enjoy it. Then next week your sister buys a new car, advertised to have the same advantages that your car has, but after you get in the car you immediately realize that everything about your sister's car is truly great, whereas your car is just good by contrast.

Chicago has the second best downtown in America but that doesn't really help it stack up to #1. Chicago's downtown should be compared to Toronto or San Francisco or the like, as they are Chicago's peers and in the same general weight class, instead of New York. New York's core would stack up better in comparison with Paris or London.
I've been to San Francisco.
It's downtown doesn't compare to Chicago.
Please don't put Chicago on the same tier.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:39 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You won't find the block after block of gritty Tenements with exposed fire escapes as your pictures show, in Chicago. The closest is the few blocks of Printers Row lofts in the loop. Of some oldest skyscrapers converted to loft living. Other areas of warehouses to lofts could?

But After the Great Chicago fire of 1871. The choices to rebuild thru New "Second City" became a resounding? No tenement-style in Chicago. Even Row housing it gained some early and general high-end. But that was shunned to then.

Chicago's street-grid also became standard with set-backs of the housing in neighborhoods so housing to the sidewalk/street is primarily on main streets. Alleys standard too.

Chicago's original DOWNTOWN the Loop has TENEMENT level living (1st 5 pictures) and look .Printers Row (1st picture is CLOSEST. River North neighborhood has warehousing to Lofts tenement aspects (LAST picture). Once you leave the core Lower level living Chicago is NOT Many stories of Tenements I prevented. NEXT TO LAST picture is in the Loop again.

That shot of the El Train in downtown in downtown Chicago is cool.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times
Quote:

Yeah. Chicago's residential neighborhoods are more on par with Detroit or St.Louis.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
All very important, in this world we live in. People need to get some perspective. Please tell me, how is this important, in the scheme of things.
Nice deflection

Old 05-03-2017, 11:20 PM

615 posts, read 600,764 times
Quote:

I lived in Manhattan last summer for work, fun experience but it is a grind! Also extremely expense.

Just beautiful, and it goes on like that seemingly forever, all bustling with activity block after block.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,223 times
Quote:

I love those tenement buildings with the fire escapes! I've always wanted to live in one of those. I've never once had a fire escape in my life, and I've lived in at least 5 different locations across Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens.

Those things are basically like balconies for people that can't afford apartments with actual balconies. I had a friend that used to live in LES and had one of those fire escapes. Lots of good times were had on that fire escape. There's nothing like sitting out on the fire escape in the Summer, playing music, having a couple beers, a smoke sesh, and just watching all the people on the streets walk by.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:

Staying in DT Chicago along the river this summer for a mini-vacation. I am excited.
Agreed, they have lots of character
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City