Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 AM

615 posts, read 598,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Hmm...what is the advantage of living in Boston then?
You get to live in the most overrated city in North America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Honestly........ why say such a thing? I do not think that poster saying Boston's core was lessor them NYC's Chicago's to demean it. Nor lessen your perfect city if relevant here.

But you did find you needed to lower Boston much more. as maybe is a intent for all US cities not NYC you like to do. But then I've read your NYC comments too that aim to demean it. But still your city Luvs to have it seen as more New York like..... I do note Manhattan aspects that annoy me in vs. Chicago here. But my defending Chicago here, is not to diminish Manhattans scope and sheer volume of what it offers.

No one can lessen Boston's value on the world stage either. That does not have it as overrated.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-08-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 12:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Hmm...what is the advantage of living in Boston then?
This is a good question. Been here 5 years. There really isn't one that I can think of.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
lol.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Slightly??-
A larger Hartford ct

Old 05-08-2017, 03:29 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is a good question. Been here 5 years. There really isn't one that I can think of.
I see. I was genuinely asking because if it doesn't have the vibrancy of NYC, Philly, etc. then I'd want to live somewhere cheaper.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM

It seems some only see value in areas of people packed liked sardines. Even mere row-homes. If you don't have front streets with shops ands eateries in every block? Its a couple tiers lower. The heck with green-space too. That has little factor to them. Not every city is laid out or zoned for that density or businesses.

I personally want a quieter neighborhood to go home too. Add green and quality housing that need not be connected. That's great. Knowing a intersection nearby still has the shops, businesses and eateries is just fine for me. If I was in a apartment with no washer/dryer in it? I'd want it at least in that building. Some things I don't wish to lug out and back in.

There is a point density gets as bad as vehicle traffic.... if you find it hard to escape. I do like green in my surroundings too for our warmer seasons. Streets devoid of it or merely a few trees? Lose some desirability.

You comments and views lessen all cities not NYC. I read only positive points to Toronto. Lesser to Philly. Sometimes density alone matters on C-D. But I'm partial to a density that links us still to nature in the mix. Some see density matters little if its old or new building? Just if people packed in the most deals in the best effect.

Not every city built nor wants to be Manhattan dense. When the day comes we are more forced into that density? Then over-population was reached. If a economic crash of large proportions comes? Having a ability to have a garden is a plus. But God help us if it does with extremes we have today.

Boston need not apologize for its Triple-Decker neighborhoods some density lovers lessen. They also gentrify and gain some added infill. Same with cities that went to tight-knot bungalow housing over rows. Apartment buildings helped density in those areas.

I think ultra-high density is sometimes a acquired taste. If Higher-end it can be great or ok. If poorer and more forced and people feel no escape from? It's not too great.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You comments and views lessen all cities not NYC. I read only positive points to Toronto. Lesser to Philly. Sometimes density alone matters on C-D. But I'm partial to a density that links us still to nature in the mix. Some see density matters little if its old or new building? Just if people packed in the most deals in the best effect.
Are you referring to me? If so, all I was simply saying is why pay crazy prices, almost what you'd pay in NYC...if the city isn't going to be as vibrant as the top urban cities in this country? That wasn't a knock against Boston or to lessen any other city, but the reality. Density does matter to me though, so from my perspective if I'm going to pay NYC prices then it better off something close to that. That's why I don't get how people live in LA! Rent there is crazy but you need a car too.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to me? If so, all I was simply saying is why pay crazy prices, almost what you'd pay in NYC...if the city isn't going to be as vibrant as the top urban cities in this country? That wasn't a knock against Boston or to lessen any other city, but the reality. Density does matter to me though, so from my perspective if I'm going to pay NYC prices then it better off something close to that. That's why I don't get how people live in LA! Rent there is crazy but you need a car too.
I clearly note Boston's COL also SF and it has density few doubt. But some cities that do too are still seen as flyover by some. That is a pattern I see too. I like defending cities that don't sprawl. But get a bum rap from some for not being as dense as Manhattan. I like density that is close-knit but includes green and is not all a fast lane from where to work to home. Some cities offer a better balance to me and if a mere moderate COL. It certainly helps.

Philly I know pros and I know cons (to me) and those use to a NYC density seem to like it with a lower COL. It has become a city of New Yorkers seek to find a tight knit attached-living seen as higher density and lower COL. But rows are still not tenements of 5 story attached multi residential buildings. I'm still not a row-home fan boy. Some cities can have separated housing and green-frontage and by more apartment buildings. Surpass density of single row-homes. But the GREEN adds to livability and walkability for me. Even moderate density I won't bash as inferior.

I always remember the Paris we love added Plazas and Grand Boulevards in the 1800s. That is part of what we love too.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-08-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
A larger Hartford ct
Better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City