Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, I didn't bring up the point; I never introduced tourism into the discussion. Furthermore each tourism bureau calculates these things differently and it's never an apples-to-apples comparison. But the fact of the matter is that when it comes to overall clout, Baltimore is below the Big Four of the East Coast cities.

Furthermore, it seems that you'd want to compare Baltimore with the likes of Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, etc--you know, its fellow Southern cities.
The exact quote in which you introduced Tourism

"Wait...you can't seriously think Baltimore is on the same level as Boston, NYC, and DC in terms of tourism and ranks above Philly"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 11:19 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The exact quote in which you introduced Tourism

"Wait...you can't seriously think Baltimore is on the same level as Boston, NYC, and DC in terms of tourism and ranks above Philly"

Tourism is essentially the subject of this thread. Did you not read the very first post?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Tourism is essentially the subject of this thread. Did you not read the very first post?
That's odd, because I thought perception was the subject. Silly me.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
That's odd, because I thought perception was the subject. Silly me.
And how that affects tourism. Again, did you even read the original post? I'll post it here just in case you didn't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
I am curious. I was just in Philly and have been many times. I find it to be a great American city. Yet anytime I talk to someone and tell them I am going to Philly the responses are always the same. "I'm sorry," "why," Filthadelphia?

I don't think it warrants it. Certain cities do. I live in the Chicago area and the stereotype of Chicago in the winter(outside of this past winter)is pretty spot on. I always tell people, don't come Dec- March if on pleasure, unless during Christmas time, its pretty well decorated and beautiful if into that .

Do others agree or disagree?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
And how that affects tourism. Again, did you even read the original post? I'll post it here just in case you didn't:
Spare me with the silly questions.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Spare me with the silly questions.
I wouldn't have to ask "silly questions" if you didn't make a silly statement, claiming that I introduced tourism into the discussion.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've heard (from people who have attended football games there), that Philadelphia fans are pretty brutal toward opposing fans. Not experienced it myself, but have heard it from several who have.
I've never been to Philadelphia, but what I would say the city is best known for around here (and where I grew up out west) is their violent sports fans and being the setting for the Rocky movies.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
I have personally never visited Philadelphia and have never lived on the east coast. I find that sometimes the perception of places changes based on where you live. For example, a city like Tulsa, OK is viewed very differently in OK and AR than by someone from the east coast.

I also worked for a year out of college at a rental car place at DFW airport and interacted with a large number of people from every state. As much as I hate to admit this to be true, most stereotypes about where people are from are true. People from NYC were by far the most abrasive and dislikeable customers, Upstaters were polite, Minnesota nice is a real thing and Californians were a little stuck up, but more chill about it.

Folks from Philadelphia were generally some of the most likable east coasters I encountered even though they are one of the Cowboys biggest "enemies." I know they have a reputation for being violent fans, but they were much less in your face than people from NYC or Boston. They honestly remained me the most of Chicagoans. Frank, but Friendly.

Growing up out west I only really ever knew Philly for American history, Sports and Rocky. Based on that it always seemed like a run down blue collar kind of big city.

One of my friends from college lived there for two years afterward and liked it, although he more or less confirmed most of my beliefs. He described it as old school and less gentrified than most big cities and the least touristy of the Big 4 on the east coast.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have to ask "silly questions" if you didn't make a silly statement, claiming that I introduced tourism into the discussion.
You did.

The premise of the thread is perception, not tourism. You said something silly, you were proven wrong, you said something else just as silly, and proven wrong again. We're done with the argument.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Should be done by 2019 . Construction underway on both projects.

East Market--
Located Southside of 11th + Market..
$600 M 2 Towers Mixed USE Residential/Retail

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RTNr...endering.0.jpg

http://hiddencityphila.org/wp-conten...stnut-Walk.jpg

Fashion Outlets at Market East
Located Northside of Market 9th + 11th
$575 M High End Fashion Outlets.High End Restaurants.Future Residential

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/...-rendering.jpg
I think you should put this in this thread on new projects coming ... not this one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...oming-263.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City