Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The thing with tourism numbers is that they may be somewhat liberal in defining who is a tourist (e.g., people with long layovers at the airport who spend the night at a hotel but otherwise don't interact with the city at all) and they don't distinguish between leisure tourists and people who may be visiting on business. I know some of what we're saying in the thread is anecdotal but when several people have the same anecdotes, there's something to it. Philly does get the short end of the stick in terms of perception and thus leisure tourism, but it's probably doing better than some may think.
If the mobs of tourists, all the time now, in just the Reading Terminal Market are any indication, it is doing better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:47 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Philly isn't the cleanest city in the country but you're exaggerating. I've flown out of the airport several times and I don't see how it's dirtier than lots of other airports.
I am not exaggerating. Check out all the gum on the sidewalks at the airport. Disgusting.

I have my opinion and I stand by it.

Loved the city--loved exploring it. Just wish they would clean it up.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
I love Philly and so have my friends and family who have visited.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If the mobs of tourists, all the time now, in just the Reading Terminal Market are any indication, it is doing better.
Tourists are also a constant fixture on Independence Mall. I think it's taking some time for perception to catch up with the changing reality.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am not exaggerating. Check out all the gum on the sidewalks at the airport. Disgusting.

I have my opinion and I stand by it.

Loved the city--loved exploring it. Just wish they would clean it up.
If it were that bad, it would have caught my attention but it didn't. Maybe you're just a bit of a germaphobe?

Old 07-22-2017, 04:45 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
If it were that bad, it would have caught my attention but it didn't. Maybe you're just a bit of a germaphobe?
Not at all. I work in the Industry. I have been to lots of airports.

Feel free to have your opinion. Not asking you to share mine.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Not at all. I work in the Industry. I have been to lots of airports.

Feel free to have your opinion. Not asking you to share mine.
Agree to disagree. PHL is alright with me.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
But I do know even when I talk to colleagues of mine all over the country whenever I say I go to Philly for work or in my case pleasure I always get the same reactions, "Why" "Im sorry" "On purpose" etc. I love history, that said I would say outside of the Freedom Bell and Independence Hall Boston and DC are much better history places.
A few points:

1. It's called the Liberty Bell, not the Freedom Bell.

2. There is considerably more history to be explored in Philly beyond the bell: 15+ Must-See Historic Attractions in Philadelphia’s Historic District — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com.

3 In addition to the city itself, there are some pretty significant historic sites within 30 - 60 minutes away, including Valley Forge and Washington's Crossing.

4. DC is, of course, our capital, but as for history, not so much. Boston is the only other city that rivals Philly for history, but its historic sites are scattered about the city. Walking around Society Hill gives someone the feel for what a real colonial neighborhood might have felt like: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci...,_Philadelphia

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5MKMEPU3E

Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times
I found Philly to be a bit boring and much of it lacking character. The grid pattern with wide streets belie its age and while helping traffic flow give it little charm. Much of the historic parts are a bit from downtown area by city hall where I stayed. Seemed to have little connection to the Delaware River. It was a wasteland between the stadiums and center city. Would not know you were in such a big city on the nearby streets. South Philly neighborhood with Italian district and steak & cheese places was dumpy. Area by Temple was downright scary. Liked parts of the city (Independence Square/University City/South St) but they weren't really cohesively connected. My overall impression was rather blah and felt the city tried too hard to be like NYC but failed.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I found Philly to be a bit boring and much of it lacking character. The grid pattern with wide streets belie its age and while helping traffic flow give it little charm. Much of the historic parts are a bit from downtown area by city hall where I stayed. Seemed to have little connection to the Delaware River. It was a wasteland between the stadiums and center city. Would not know you were in such a big city on the nearby streets. South Philly neighborhood with Italian district and steak & cheese places was dumpy. Area by Temple was downright scary. Liked parts of the city (Independence Square/University City/South St) but they weren't really cohesively connected. My overall impression was rather blah and felt the city tried too hard to be like NYC but failed.
I've heard some fair criticisms of Philly, but have yet to hear that "much of it [lacks] character." I personally think its character, with its history, architecture and rowhouse urbanity makes it unique among U.S. cities. Also, perhaps visiting an East Coast city had you expecting New York, but I assure you that very few people are trying to make Philly "be like NYC."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City