Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times

Advertisements

There is something to the view that Philly suffers from a misperception among people unfamiliar with the city. I retired to Philly from Houston 6+ years ago. When coworkers my age started planning retirement, we use to share our plans in informal chats. Places like Pugent Sound, Denver, Tennessee and the Carolinas were popular locales. When friends asked where my DH and I were retiring, I of course replied Philly. Then it became interesting because I'd get 2 nearly predictable responses:

1. The first group took on puzzled looks as iif they misheard me. Then followed the predictable stereotypes of Philly.

2. The 2nd response was interesting. My company partnered with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending the "up and comers" to programs for extended stays in Philly. The general response from those folks can be summed up as "Wow - you're going to a great city!"

Philly is doing fine. In the 6 years we've been here, we'e seen lots of growth with gentrification extending further and further from Center City. The city's major challenge is to attract high-paying professional jobs. It's brilliant location smack in the middle between DC and NY gives it an attractive advantage as a more affordable city right in the middle of the 95 corridor.

As to the OP - does Philly have the WORST perception problem? Hardly. In the short time we've been here, we've seen an actual pope visit, the DNC held their convention here, the NFL draft was just here, and Made in America fills the BF Parkway every year. These events plus the ever-increasing number of overnight visitors each year (42M last year) serve to provide a more accurate perception of Philly in the greater cosmos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 04:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You mean because Philly's located near mountains? Pittsburgh is pretty much in the mountains, Cinci is hilly along the river. Don't see the comparison other than heading into the adjacent counties around Philly, especially northwest. Its a hilly to rolling topography; the nexus from mountains to flattening out into Jersey's coastal plain.

Didn't think Philly's perception problem related to its topography. Topography would then certainly play into Chicago's perception issues; the flattest, blandest, and prairie city in the U.S. I'll take Philly's topography and location any day.
Huh? I never said Philly's topography was a negative. I said Philly doesn't play to it enough!

Chicago's landscape does lack. I think it being Chicago though makes people forget honestly. That and it makes up for being in a prairie by having Lake Michigan but hey nice try!!

Old 07-24-2017, 05:08 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Huh? I never said Philly's topography was a negative. I said Philly doesn't play to it enough!

Chicago's landscape does lack. I think it being Chicago though makes people forget honestly. That and it makes up for being in a prairie by having Lake Michigan but hey nice try!!
Lake Michigan doesn't cut it in making up for Chicago's dismal topography. It's nice, but doesn't carry the area otherwise. It's only nice when you're along the lake front, where you can actually see it. Can't do that from the vast majority of Chicagoland. Chicago's flatness is very noticeable, despite it being Chicago.

Sorry, but Chicagoans constantly rationalize everything with ''but its Chicago''. The dull prairie setting is forgetten 'cause ''it's Chicago''....lol.

How exactly is Philly supposed to play up its topography? Why can't Philly rely on ''it's Philly" excuse?

Last edited by mjlo; 07-24-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 05:12 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Throw in PATCO in Philly as well, my personal favorite line.
I like PATCO, too. It's a well-respected operation in the area; so much so that whenever a suggestion of the line coming under SEPTA's jurisdiction comes up, South Jersey-ites are like: 'No friggin' way; hands off, SEPTA!' This even with the prospect of free cross transfers with SEPTA lines.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:

Lake Michigan doesn't cut it in making up for Chicago's dismal topography. It's nice, but doesn't carry the area otherwise. It's only nice when you're along the lake front, where you can actually see it. Can't do that from the vast majority of Chicagoland. Chicago's flatness is very noticeable, despite it being Chicago.

Sorry, but Chicagoans constantly rationalize everything with ''but its Chicago''. The dull prairie setting is forgetten 'cause ''it's Chicago''....lol.

How exactly is Philly supposed to play up its topography? Why can't Philly rely on ''it's Philly" excuse?
I didn't realize turning this into a Chicago bashing thread was going to play up Philly. By all means explain your reasoning.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooden View Post
One of the main reasons I love Philly is because of the countryside. It's quaint and historic with lots of green.
That corner of Pennsylvania is just lovely. I miss my childhood visits to my grandparents' farm in Chadds Ford. I'm sure it's changed a bit since then.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 PM

390 posts, read 389,154 times
No, Texas and the rest of the south leads the bad perception followed by Chicago

Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I like PATCO, too. It's a well-respected operation in the area; so much so that whenever a suggestion of the line coming under SEPTA's jurisdiction comes up, South Jersey-ites are like: 'No friggin' way; hands off, SEPTA!' This even with the prospect of free cross transfers with SEPTA lines.
Hands off PATCO for sure. Free SEPTA cross transfers, for starters, not worth it.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Philly still perception of having high crime and NYC perception of falling crime rates.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
I never knew Philly had a perception problem. Growing up in DC and having lived in NYC, you usually don't hear much about it and if you do it's usually positive.... I think Baltimore has a worse reputation within this area then Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City