Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 65 55.08%
NOVA 53 44.92%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times

Advertisements

I vote for Orange County because the name sounds prettier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 03:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agreed with almost all of this, but the diversity factor. NOVA's an absolute beast there.
Agreed. I think NoVa is pretty comparable to OC in diversity and has more balance among all races, meanwhile some demos are almost non-existent in the OC with very minimal gains since 2010.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. I think NoVa is pretty comparable to OC in diversity and has more balance among all races, meanwhile some demos are almost non-existent in the OC with very minimal gains since 2010.
Correct, it's more diverse across the board. I believe there was a thread done comparing Fairfax County, VA, Bergen County, NJ, Middlesex County, NJ and Montgomery County, MD. OC was not compared in that thread, but I think it's a different type of diversity you find in OC and Bay Area suburbs. The Eastern suburbs typically you'll find a lot more nationalities, whereas West Coast suburbs will have a higher total number of Asians and maybe Hispanics, but very little Blacks and/or Caribbean/sub-Saharan Africa. Northern Virginia also has a heavy number of Middle Eastern/ north Africans too.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Orange County is way more diverse by Asian and Hispanic numbers. So if you’re just looking at NOVA, Orange County blows it out of the water in diversity because neither have a lot of black diversity (although NoVA may have a few more). If you expand to the DMV suburbs, then it becomes more even because the DC region has much more black diversity.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Orange County is way more diverse by Asian and Hispanic numbers. So if you’re just looking at NOVA, Orange County blows it out of the water in diversity because neither have a lot of black diversity (although NoVA may have a few more). If you expand to the DMV suburbs, then it becomes more even because the DC region has much more black diversity.
OC is not way more diverse than all of NoVA by Hispanic numbers. It's way more populous by total number of Hispanics. What's way more diverse is the nationalities you find in closer proximity in NoVA. You literally will have subdivisions or immediate adjacent neighborhoods with Saudis, Pakistani, Eritreans, Koreans, Colombians, Panamanians, Salvadorians, Taiwanese, Sierre Leonean, Ethiopian etc. In a couple mile radius. OC primarily leads NOVA in Asian diversity, that's it. Which outside of the West Coast, NoVA is still as Asian diverse than pretty much anywhere.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Wiki tells me NoVa is over about 55% non-Hispanic white. OC is about 40%. You can dress that up however you’d like, but diversity is decidedly an OC edge.

At any rate, both seem nice areas. As an outsider, I’d rather visit OC. I’d also wouldn’t want to live in either to be fair. But for the answer here, I’d say OC is king of suburbia. It helped define the term in the 60s and 70s, and in this battle it’s the most unique. No offense to NoVa, but in most aspects outside Alexandria, you could be in any number of random East Coast suburbs. It being built out at a time of McUrbanism becoming the dominant architectural school doesn’t help in this regards.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Wiki tells me NoVa is over about 55% non-Hispanic white. OC is about 40%. You can dress that up however you’d like, but diversity is decidedly an OC edge.

At any rate, both seem nice areas. As an outsider, I’d rather visit OC. I’d also wouldn’t want to live in either to be fair. But for the answer here, I’d say OC is king of suburbia. It helped define the term in the 60s and 70s, and in this battle it’s the most unique. No offense to NoVa, but in most aspects outside Alexandria, you could be in any number of random East Coast suburbs. It being built out at a time of McUrbanism becoming the dominant architectural school doesn’t help in this regards.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that NoVa's non-Hispanic white population is more diverse than OC's non-white population. On top of having more diversity among Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that NoVa's non-Hispanic white population is more diverse than OC's non-white population. On top of having more diversity among Blacks and Hispanics.
I doubt that, but it'd be interesting to know. OC has real and very large ethnic neighborhoods too. Larger than anything in the DC metro, much less just NOVA. There's nothing equivalent to Little Saigon for example.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
That’s on the macro scale. For starters NoVa is a collection of counties and cities that make up a sub region of a sub region. OC is one distinct county. There are sections of NoVa where you find whites being the minority, although even in the DC metro area the most diverse individual county on the macro scale is actually Montgomery County, MD. Nonetheless both NoVa and OC are very diverse suburbia.

As mentioned earlier too the non-Hispanic white population is often split up amongst Russians, and/or other European whites in NoVa. So that has to be taken into account.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That’s on the macro scale. For starters NoVa is a collection of counties and cities that make up a sub region of a sub region. OC is one distinct county. There are sections of NoVa where you find whites being the minority, although even in the DC metro area the most diverse individual county on the macro scale is actually Montgomery County, MD. Nonetheless both NoVa and OC are very diverse suburbia.

As mentioned earlier too the non-Hispanic white population is often split up amongst Russians, and/or other European whites in NoVa. So that has to be taken into account.
What does this mean? NoVA and DC are not known to have a large Russian population. What are the numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City