Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 65 55.08%
NOVA 53 44.92%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Again ridiculous. Tysons alone is the 12th biggest job center in the U.S., then there's Reston, Herndon, all of Arlington which includes Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Crystal City, and Alexandria. Not to mention all the new transit nodes of job centers being built along the Silver Line to Dulles right now. Most of the DC metro areas business activity that does not take place in specifically downtown DC, takes place in NOVA. Followed by the MD suburbs.

NOVA has everything you mentioned except for beaches. There are sports venues in NOVA, minor league baseball, NCAA basketball etc, there is just not a professional major 4 sports team located in NOVA....yet. Again, i'll give you Disneyland, weather, and the beaches, otherwise I see a wash at best.
LOL comparing minor league baseball and college basketball to pro sports. Please, just stop. NOVA suburbs have nothing like the Santa Ana's for hiking.No sailing, surfing, lol.

Wow job centers in Tysons . Not sure how that is any different than job centers in Irvine...

I thought DC was "centralized", now all off a sudden Nova and MD suburbs have all the commerce? LOL whatever you say!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LOL comparing minor league baseball and college basketball to pro sports. Please, just stop. NOVA suburbs have nothing like the Santa Ana's for hiking.No sailing, surfing, lol.

Wow job centers in Tysons . Not sure how that is any different than job centers in Irvine...

I thought DC was "centralized", now all off a sudden Nova and MD suburbs have all the commerce? LOL whatever you say!!!
A metro being centralized doesn't mean that everything is located in the primary city. Keep in mind that Arlington County, which has a lot of jobs/offices, used to actually be part of DC before it was retroceded to VA.

The most practical way to look at it is the Beltway comprising the perimeter of the metropolitan core.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A metro being centralized doesn't mean that everything is located in the primary city. Keep in mind that Arlington County, which has a lot of jobs/offices, used to actually be part of DC before it was retroceded to VA.

The most practical way to look at it is the Beltway comprising the perimeter of the metropolitan core.
LOL!!!!

No, a centralized metro usually refers to a downtown core that is the largest job center in the region, along with all the civic amenities. But what ever you say!! LoL!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:

Your touting a county located on the Pacific coastline that is being compared to the inland suburbs of NOVA. As stated by someone earlier this already not apples-apples. Even with that being the case NOVA holds its own.

OC has two major pro sports teams, only two. You're talking as if this is a major city hosting 5 or 6 teams. Like I stated earlier, there's a very strong chance the Redskins move to NOVA, the Capitals already have their practice facility and ice rink in NOVA, the Kettler Iceplex, which I'm sure OC has nothing like, and yes the Nationals minor league affiliate also plays in NOVA. College Basketball is a big deal over here on the East Coast, out there I reckon not so much. Yet you are trying to make it seem like NOVA has completely been void of all sports amenities. On top of all, NOVA residents can simply hop on a seamless Metro ride to ANY of the the major sports arenas in the metro area, something that is not as seamless in OC.

NOVA also has some of the DC regions largest and most popular entertainment venues, WolfTrap, and Jiffy Lube Live events center, etc. NOVA also has 3 or 4 times the total airport traffic that OC does, so stop trying to make it seem like it just walks away in this comparison.

The District of Columbia is centralized, but as I'm sure you've heard on C-D before DC's suburbs sprawl miles and miles away from the city center. This causes there to be pop up CBD's even among this sprawl 25-30 miles away from the city center:

NOVA looks like this here directly across the river from Washington:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8971...7i13312!8i6656

NOVA still looks like this 25-30 miles away from Downtown Washington:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9587...7i13312!8i6656

Not seeing how OC compares to this across multiple nodes. Again, you still have Mickey Mouse close by so be happy.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:38 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
And yet Santa Clara manged to have a team, with out SF. Most of the fans and corporations affiliated with the 9ers are not in SF.

No one in the city of LA roots for the Angels or Ducks. Nor do any businesses in LA work with them. That's entirely an OC media market, and has nothing to do with the city of LA.

That's not true at all. LA and OC share the same media market for the most part. LA teams are supported by OC folks and vice versa. I always see ads for the Angels in the LA area and they even had the "Los Angeles Times" on their scoreboard. The Angels were originally an LA team and were even named after the city of LA. The two areas are so linked that the Rams were able to move there and be called the LA Rams. Disneyland would not be there without LA. Disney is an LA area company. If the Clippers build their arena in Inglewood and build it with hockey in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if the Ducks considered it. By then the Honda Center will be 30 years old.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 AM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!

No, a centralized metro usually refers to a downtown core that is the largest job center in the region, along with all the civic amenities. But what ever you say!! LoL!!!
Not necessarily (especially since DC is something of a special case with its height restrictions), and DC itself--downtown specifically--actually does have the vast majority of civic amenities in the region, if by "civic amenities" you mean museums, performing arts venues, etc.

You're taking this waaayyy too seriously. I didn't even vote in this poll and I'm not actually arguing that NoVA "wins" this but I guess it's that serious to you with all your "LOL!!!!!!!"s.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Uh no, MLB territorial reach is distinct and regulated. As you found out when the pathetic A's tried to move to San Jose.

OC is the only suburban area elite enougb to have their own media market
Uh no, everything you said here is completely wrong.

If you're referring to "territorial rights" the Bay Area is the only MLB market that has such a thing.

OC is not its own media market, not sure where you got that from or if it you just made that up. It's part of the larger Los Angeles media market and does not have its own tv stations. If it did have its own, distinct media market it would't have needed to change its name now would it? Pretty contradictory statement there.

Also anyone you mildy paid attention to baseball and when the Angels changed their name knows it was to expand their reach. The owner was pretty clear about that.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: 10 years later, how big of a deal was the name change? – Orange County Register

Quote:
"Arte Moreno said he needed the new name to expand the team’s marketability."

"Team officials maintain the change did indeed increase the team’s reach.

"Angels officials wanted to tap into Greater Los Angeles – the country’s second-largest media market that includes Orange County and 18 million people in places north of San Diego and south of Santa Barbara.."
Orange County is such a lame, generic place that they needed to change the name to expand its marketability because the place has no distinct identity. Just a mish mash of generic dense, car oriented sprawling suburbs and mind-numbing traffic full of the most vapid people on earth.

Last edited by sav858; 08-19-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

NOVA has a ton of job clusters, based on my experience (lived in DC and family in OC) NOVA has more (doesn't even seem close to me) concentrated job centers when compared to OC

I like both, the only area to me where I can clearly say the OC is beaches, weather, and mountains

NOVA does have many features, albeit different from the OC

but things like the Air and Space Museum, or (you talked shopping) the huge mall in Tysons, places like Alexandria with King Street, Potomac falls, the horse and wine country of VA, Cheseapeake (not far at all), Harpers Ferry WV (basically WV), great golf courses etc etc etc

I am convinced there are many folks on the WC that have no idea life exists outside of it

one other thought, Vietnam town in Santa Ana has no equal in NOVA (you would have to go to Philly to find something similar which is a two hour drive)

but to suggest the commerce centers in NOVA are not more substantial when compared to the OC to me tells me you don't know what you are talking about. This from someone who love the OC

Old 08-19-2017, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 7,287 times
I honestly really think it depends on how you define NOVA. I feel that Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Loudoun, and the Manassas area in Prince William County are far more urbanized and have a different feel than other counties in the VA area part of Metro DC that the census Bureau calls NOVA. I'd say Montgomery County in Maryland, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, and up to Leesburg would constitute more of a suburban giant superior to OC.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Uh no, everything you said here is completely wrong.

If you're referring to "territorial rights" the Bay Area is the only MLB market that has such a thing.

OC is not its own media market, not sure where you got that from or if it you just made that up. It's part of the larger Los Angeles media market and does not have its own tv stations. If it did have its own, distinct media market it would't have needed to change its name now would it? Pretty contradictory statement there.

Also anyone you mildy paid attention to baseball and when the Angels changed their name knows it was to expand their reach. The owner was pretty clear about that.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: 10 years later, how big of a deal was the name change? – Orange County Register

Orange County is such a lame, generic place that they needed to change the name to expand its marketability because the place has no distinct identity. Just a mish mash of generic dense, car oriented sprawling suburbs and mind-numbing traffic full of the most vapid people on earth.
And yet the same link you provided shows that Disneyland and the Angels are the first thing that comes to mind when people think of Orange County. And it also points out Los Angeles is not even put on any of it's merchandise. If it helped them get better media contracts, good for them. It's not like it affected fan attendance, it's still the same OC people. No one from LA county roots for the Angels.

Like all A's fans, you can not accept that your team is outclassed on and off the field by a team from suburban So Cal. Oh wait, A's don't even have fans. Funny thing is, even before the Angels changed their name, they were still worth more than the A's.

OC (and coastal SoCal)and NoVa are places people aspire to live in. When you live in a place people are exiled to (eastbay, prince georges) you just don't get it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-22-2017 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City