Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 65 55.08%
NOVA 53 44.92%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I just wanted to see how this forum would rate the wealthiest and most expansive suburban regions in the nation and which areas are the closest to not only being a suburban paradise, but the closest to transitioning into a more urban and connected region.
Amenities- OC because Disney and beaches...however, NOVA holds its own with historical sites and national landmarks
Transportation- NOVA has far better rail transit (both commuter rail and subway); OC has a far more comprehensive freeway system and is much easier to drive around than NOVA.
Urbanity/Density- OC is a lot more uniformly denser overall, especially North OC, but in a West Coast, suburban style. But NOVA has better pockets of urbanity in Arlington County and Old Town Alexandria. The surrounding suburbs in NOVA are a lot more disorganized and badly laid out compared to OC.
Safety- (Likely the Same) Tie
Affordability- Tie - both are high as hell
Shopping Districts/Malls- Tie. South Coast Plaza is to OC as Tysons Corner is to NOVA. NOVA has Potomac Mills, OC has Outlets at Orange, etc.
Business Districts- Tysons vs. South Coast Metro - Tysons
Diversity- Tie. OC isn't as white as so many people stereotype it to be unless you're in far south OC
Wealth- NOVA
Economy- (Not including LA or Washington) - NOVA. OC is no slouch, but a lot of companies that were once headquartered or had strong presences in SoCal have their HQs in NOVA nowadays. Northrup Grummon for one. General Dynamics is another.
Future- (Which will have the greater population/ more influence on U.S economy) - NOVA.
Cities- Arlington/Alexandria vs. Anaheim/Santa Ana/ Irvine) - Arlington/Alexandria > Irvine > Anaheim/Santa Ana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Amenities- Both have tons but OC has Disneyland and actual beaches
Transportation- NOVA
Urbanity/Density- Depends on criteria but NOVA
Safety- close but NOVA
Affordability- I have no clue
Shopping Districts/Malls- only familiar with NOVA which has best shopping in DC metro area
Business Districts- NOVA - Tysons, Reston, Rosslyn, Ballston cooridor, plus Alexandria.
Diversity- NOVA
Wealth- OC but NOVA is next in line
Economy- NOVA, booming faster and literally poaching jobs from SoCal every year.
Future- (Which will have the greater population/ more influence on U.S economy) NOVA definitely
Cities- Arlington/Alexandria vs. Anaheim/Santa Ana/ Irvine) Not sure probably NOVA

Another category could be traffic, which in case of both may be among the top two or three suburban commutes in the US.

Also NOVA is about 2.8 million and counting now, unfortunately there's a pretty ambiguous definition of its boundaries.
I know their is an ambigous definition. But the reason why I chose the smaller part of NOVA is because The OC is pretty much 95% developed and I wanted it to be more fair putting NOVA at around 1350 compared to the OC's 950. I chose these areas as they are the two largest and wealthiest suburban regions in the U.S. Their isn't a suburban region or county as big anywhere as these two. My main point si comparing them now but also in the future. For example both South Coast Metro and Tyson's Corner are trying to build urbanity in the suburbs, also The O.C has been the posterchild in the media for wealth, it still doesn't compete with actual L.A County but it completely dusts NOVA in media perception. The O.C is denser but NOVA seems to have more urban districts especially Arlington/Alexandria and better transport. My view is NOVA ever going to become the premier wealthy suburban region of the U.S, or will O.C become denser, wealthier and dominate the ideal suburban image. Also another thing to add into the discussion is there any areas that can be the next O.C/NOVA?

Also I was looking into safety and Prince William's murder rate skyrocketed in 2016.
Prince William County homicides 2016 | Crime & Police | insidenova.com

Last three years (2.4 million)

22 so far this year

The O.C (3 million)
I also think the O.C might be more Diverse than NOVA but not sure,
44% White
33% Hispanic
17% Asian
2% Black

Old 08-09-2017, 01:19 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Orange County, NOVA isn't even the best region in the DMV. It pretty much epitomizes suburban sprawl, Orange county less so.
no

Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That may explain why they seem to be better at. I guess my point is Orange county comes across as more unique than NOVA.
no again, have you ever been to Orange County?!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I know their is an ambigous definition. But the reason why I chose the smaller part of NOVA is because The OC is pretty much 95% developed and I wanted it to be more fair putting NOVA at around 1350 compared to the OC's 950. I chose these areas as they are the two largest and wealthiest suburban regions in the U.S. Their isn't a suburban region or county as big anywhere as these two. My main point si comparing them now but also in the future. For example both South Coast Metro and Tyson's Corner are trying to build urbanity in the suburbs, also The O.C has been the posterchild in the media for wealth, it still doesn't compete with actual L.A County but it completely dusts NOVA in media perception. The O.C is denser but NOVA seems to have more urban districts especially Arlington/Alexandria and better transport. My view is NOVA ever going to become the premier wealthy suburban region of the U.S, or will O.C become denser, wealthier and dominate the ideal suburban image. Also another thing to add into the discussion is there any areas that can be the next O.C/NOVA?

Also I was looking into safety and Prince William's murder rate skyrocketed in 2016.
Prince William County homicides 2016 | Crime & Police | insidenova.com

Last three years (2.4 million)

22 so far this year

The O.C (3 million)
I also think the O.C might be more Diverse than NOVA but not sure,
44% White
33% Hispanic
17% Asian
2% Black
PW County only makes up a part of NOVA, and population wise, is smaller than Santa Ana and Anaheim (which tends to have the most crime problems in OC) combined. However, there have been issues there, but overall, NOVA is pretty safe in comparison to other parts of the DMV.

The last demographics I checked for NOVA indicate there's a smaller Hispanic and Asian population, but a larger black population than OC:

55.41% White
11.28% Black
10.46% Asian
0.19% American Indian or Alaska native
0.07% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
0.30% Some other race
2.98% Two or more races
16.30% Hispanic and/or Latino (of any race).

^^ Those numbers are from 2010, so I'm sure its changed since then. And the white population includes the large number of Arabs and Persians.

As for the next OC/NOVA, I'd say Collin County in the DFW metro area has potential with its rapid population growth, large number of corporate headquarters along with a lots of corporate relocations, and the resulting increase in income. However, it currently has a bit under 1 million people people in the county (914,127 people as of 2015 estimates) but I expect it to reach that point around 2020-25 or so. Basically, Collin County has the population that Orange County had between 1960 (703,925) and 1970 (1,420,386). Fairfax County only had about 455,000 people in 1970, PW County had about 112,000 that same year, and Loudoun was a blip on the radar at 37,000 people or so around that time.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 AM

75 posts, read 89,699 times
Laguna Beach sounds good to me.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
PW County only makes up a part of NOVA, and population wise, is smaller than Santa Ana and Anaheim (which tends to have the most crime problems in OC) combined. However, there have been issues there, but overall, NOVA is pretty safe in comparison to other parts of the DMV.

The last demographics I checked for NOVA indicate there's a smaller Hispanic and Asian population, but a larger black population than OC:

55.41% White
11.28% Black
10.46% Asian
0.19% American Indian or Alaska native
0.07% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
0.30% Some other race
2.98% Two or more races
16.30% Hispanic and/or Latino (of any race).

^^ Those numbers are from 2010, so I'm sure its changed since then. And the white population includes the large number of Arabs and Persians.

As for the next OC/NOVA, I'd say Collin County in the DFW metro area has potential with its rapid population growth, large number of corporate headquarters along with a lots of corporate relocations, and the resulting increase in income. However, it currently has a bit under 1 million people people in the county (914,127 people as of 2015 estimates) but I expect it to reach that point around 2020-25 or so. Basically, Collin County has the population that Orange County had between 1960 (703,925) and 1970 (1,420,386). Fairfax County only had about 455,000 people in 1970, PW County had about 112,000 that same year, and Loudoun was a blip on the radar at 37,000 people or so around that time.
I was also thinking Collin County and possibly Williamson County in Texas. But even then they both haven't hit a million yet. I know Kansas has something similar with Johnson County by Kansas City is growing to slow for that to be even close in 20 years.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I was also thinking Collin County and possibly Williamson County in Texas. But even then they both haven't hit a million yet. I know Kansas has something similar with Johnson County by Kansas City is growing to slow for that to be even close in 20 years.
Johnson County's growth has been pretty respectable for a non-sunbelt metro area, but it is mostly from white flight in KCKS and KCMO along with job-poaching from Missouri. Not too many people are relocating there from states outside that region (Kansas, Missouri, or even Oklahoma) the same way people from California are relocating to North Texas or Northeasterners relocating to NOVA.

Williamson County has a lot of growth, but Austin is a smaller metro area overall compared to DFW. I'd add Fort Bend County near Houston, but it has a bit of a ways to go before it hits 1 million - it's not on the cusp of hitting that figure like Collin County is.

What's your opinion on Oakland County in Metro Detroit? It's a suburban, mostly affluent county with over 1 million people, with lots of corporate hqs. I'll concede it isn't as dynamic as OC/NOVA because most of its growth was at the expense of the city of Detroit itself

Last edited by biscuit_head; 08-09-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Median Family Income

Orange County $85,472

Areas comprising NOVA

Arlington(county) $126,947

Fairfax(county) $110,240

Loudon(county) $130,432

Falls Church(city) $142,035

Alexandria(city) $102,017

McLean (city closest to Tyson's) $188,639

NOVA certainly is more bougie.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 08-09-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
no
Nice constructive feedback right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City