Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
^^Much more so than the Midwest. And that's all that matters here.
Well, at least you’ve backed off of your prior claim that palms are ubiquitous in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Well, at least you’ve backed off of your prior claim that palms are ubiquitous in DFW.
I never made that claim. You have to pay more attention to what is truly being said.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
I never made that claim. You have to pay more attention to what is truly being said.
LOL, at this point I could state that the sky is blue and you would tell me to get an eye exam.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:32 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I was last in the Metroplex in July of 2016, and drove all over the entire area, and I didn't see one single palm tree. If they're "all over", where are they? When I think all over, I think of the palm lined streets and businesses everywhere like what we have here. Heck there are about 20 robustas right outside my apartment building...
They’re not all over Dallas. I don’t think there’s use in pointing it out anymore really. Phoenix has palm trees & Dallas doesn’t. That’s the facts. I saw 10x more palms when I visited Phoenix last year for four days than I ever have in my last 9 years in Dallas. It’s not a reason to choose Phoenix over Dallas, but it’s a pro Phoenix has over Dallas for those of us who like palm trees.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, at this point I could state that the sky is blue and you would tell me to get an eye exam.
No, here's what I said:
Quote:
Any palm that is hardy enough for the cold experienced can survive and thrive in the area, to be ubiquitous.
Notice that it was a conditional statement, as seen with the bold. I didn't say that palms were ubiquitous in Dallas ... just that they can be, so far the varieties used are hardy enough. As cold as Dallas can get in winter, the minimum winter temps still remain warm enough for quite a few hardy trunking palms to handle. Not to mention periods of winter heat there that aid in the growth and recovery of palms.

Same can't be said for the Midwest, no matter how you spin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
They’re not all over Dallas. I don’t think there’s use in pointing it out anymore really. Phoenix has palm trees & Dallas doesn’t. That’s the facts. I saw 10x more palms when I visited Phoenix last year for four days than I ever have in my last 9 years in Dallas. It’s not a reason to choose Phoenix over Dallas, but it’s a pro Phoenix has over Dallas for those of us who like palm trees.
And Dallas has way more palm trees than the Midwest. That's the facts.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I would not pick either place to be honest. But it comes down to choosing between tornadoes, ice storms, and bible thumpers in the case of Dallas and unrelenting heat in the case of Phoenix. Advantage: Phoenix

Old 03-03-2018, 03:11 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would not pick either place to be honest. But it comes down to choosing between tornadoes, ice storms, and bible thumpers in the case of Dallas and unrelenting heat in the case of Phoenix. Advantage: Phoenix
The heat in Dallas is pretty unrelenting too....I ran the heat index highs for Phoenix and Dallas and Dallas was hotter in 2 of the 3 summer months.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Quote:
And Dallas has way more palm trees than the Midwest. That's the facts.
Okay. I’m sticking with the Phoenix vs Dallas topic over here. I don’t know anything about the Midwest.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And commute, toll roads, and job market if those apply to you. And housing costs. Dallas has high property taxes, but Phoenix has state income tax. Dallas wins on job market overall, in my opinion. Unless maybe you’re a nurse...from what I’ve read on this forum, Phoenix is great for that profession.

Agree with you about tornadoes, although I don’t worry about them. I’ve been caught out in a hail storm before & that was a little scary though. Too many transplants in Dallas to think everyone’s a Bible thumper. They’re not. Ice storms suck. But at least they’re few & far between...last bad one was in 2011. Phoenix has the advantage there though for sure to me...I don’t appreciate cold weather no matter how short-lived.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Definitely an advantage Phoenix has, I left New York to get away from cold and snow, and I would be disappointed by Dallas, as they still get snow and ice days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City