Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Agree
In fairness though, our lawns here would be dormant and brown too if we didn’t overseed. It just doesn’t seem like something that’s common in DFW. Perhaps the rye grass wouldn’t survive a freeze or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
In fairness though, our lawns here would be dormant and brown too if we didn’t overseed. It just doesn’t seem like something that’s common in DFW. Perhaps the rye grass wouldn’t survive a freeze or two.
I’ve never been to Phoenix in the winter, so I can’t comment on that. I do know that I love all things “summer” & in Dallas, it’s not back yet. Grass takes up a lot of real estate & I keep thinking my town will be so much nicer when the grass wakes up because the brown is somewhat depressing for me right now. I’m not a gardener at all...if overseeding keeps grass green, nobody around here does it that I can see. Not in my residential area.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I’ve never been to Phoenix in the winter, so I can’t comment on that. I do know that I love all things “summer” & in Dallas, it’s not back yet. Grass takes up a lot of real estate & I keep thinking my town will be so much nicer when the grass wakes up because the brown is somewhat depressing for me right now. I’m not a gardener at all...if overseeding keeps grass green, nobody around here does it that I can see. Not in my residential area.
Since standard Bermuda grass goes dormant in the winter, regardless of weather, we seed over it with Rye grass that flourishes in the winter here. It dies once it heats back up. I wish we could have it year round. It’s a really bright, vibrant green. I pay about $100 a season to have my landscapers put it in and it’s well worth it for a winter of greenness.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:38 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Exactly. The suggestion that Texas is awash in lush greenery in the winter is just false.

Quote:
Agree
Get an eye check up along with your buddy DetroitN8V.

Last edited by Texyn; 02-18-2018 at 09:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

Get an eye check up along with your buddy DetroitN8V.
Lol. It’s not green here in Dallas yet. I could take photos of what I see & post them if you want. I’m not a Dallas hater either. It’s February, and it’s still brown outside for the most part...it’s just how it is. I guess if this is all you know though, you might think it’s green.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Lol. It’s not green here in Dallas yet. I could take photos of what I see & post them if you want. I’m not a Dallas hater either. It’s February, and it’s still brown outside for the most part...it’s just how it is. I guess if this is all you know though, you might think it’s green.
Exactly. It just is what it is. I have no ax to grind when it comes to Dallas either. I always enjoy my time there. It’s just not green in the winter. The whole exchange is bizarre.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Exactly. It just is what it is. I have no ax to grind when it comes to Dallas either. I always enjoy my time there. It’s just not green in the winter. The whole exchange is bizarre.
No point arguing with Texyn about weather and vegetable. Same argument over multiple threads.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
No point arguing with Texyn about weather and vegetable. Same argument over multiple threads.
Thanks. Weird!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM

352 posts, read 570,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona2018 View Post
Tough call. I feel like I could go either way on this one...
Lived in Dallas for at least 5 years. Been in Phoenix for around 2 years and SO glad we moved here.

DFW has some cool things going on, and so does Phoenix, however, we considered "quality of life" factors which is why we came to AZ (2nd time).

For us, it was overall cost of living, natural scenery (scenic drives), proximity to beaches, hiking, etc. (outdoorsy stuff), preferred weather, potential for natural disasters just to name a few.

It all comes down to quality of life and what that means to you.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Lived in Dallas for at least 5 years. Been in Phoenix for around 2 years and SO glad we moved here.

DFW has some cool things going on, and so does Phoenix, however, we considered "quality of life" factors which is why we came to AZ (2nd time).

For us, it was overall cost of living, natural scenery (scenic drives), proximity to beaches, hiking, etc. (outdoorsy stuff), preferred weather, potential for natural disasters just to name a few.

It all comes down to quality of life and what that means to you.
I like Dallas but I agree Phoenix has better overall climate (I don't like humidity or colder Dallas winter) and I love mountains so Dallas looks boring to me. I will say that the pay and opportunities in Dallas should be better for most people so that's a big factor for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City