Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of the Upper South?
Raleigh 11 8.15%
Louisville 11 8.15%
Nashville 57 42.22%
Charlotte 56 41.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:54 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh, I know. But they refuse to admit it, and will argue to death that they're in no way Southern.
FWIW, Country Grammar by Nelly (who has a Southern Drawl) does kind of play homage to St. Louis' southern ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 12:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
FWIW, Country Grammar by Nelly (who has a Southern Drawl) does kind of play homage to St. Louis' southern ties.
Yes, but the large majority there - especially natives, would rather die than to be associated with the South. I mean, they are really hard-core about it. They consider St. Louis to be a Northern river city, with a strong kinship to Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati to a lesser extent.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:49 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Haha, I think the OP intentionally omitted VA cities. I thought VA was the proto-typical, upper south state? Guess not. Too Northern or something? Of these, Raleigh. Louisville and Nashville, are more Mid-South than they are Upper South from my perspective, though no region has hard borders that don't somehow overlap with another cultural or geographic region.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Whatever else, Raleigh is not mid-South.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:22 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
It seems that Memphis and its larger region have adopted the mid-South moniker pretty strongly. The city's Museum of Science & History - Pink Palace defines the mid-South as the region located within a 200-mile radius of Memphis.

According to The Mid-South and Its Builders: Being the Story of the Development and a Forecast of the Future of the Richest Agricultural Region in the World (sheesh) which was published in 1920, the mid-South covers western KY, western TN, part of the Tennessee River Valley in AL, the northern half of MS, the eastern half of AR, and southeastern MO and Memphis is the region's hub.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:26 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It seems that Memphis and its larger region have adopted the mid-South moniker pretty strongly. The city's Museum of Science & History - Pink Palace defines the mid-South as the region located within a 200-mile radius of Memphis.

According to The Mid-South and Its Builders: Being the Story of the Development and a Forecast of the Future of the Richest Agricultural Region in the World (sheesh) which was published in 1920, the mid-South covers western KY, western TN, part of the Tennessee River Valley in AL, the northern half of MS, the eastern half of AR, and southeastern MO and Memphis is the region's hub.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:14 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
^^^^^^
Thanks for that. I wanted to find a source I could access and just realized the book I mentioned is the one in the Wikipedia entry.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:41 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
I've never heard of the "Mid-South." In my book, the Upper South is North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and southern West Virginia. There are some areas in Virginia (D.C. suburbs) and Kentucky (Cincinnati suburbs) that probably shouldn't be included, but the majority of both states are in the Upper South.

As a Triangle native, I definitely wouldn't describe Raleigh as "Mid-South." You can drive four hours north of Raleigh and be in the Northeast (D.C. area). In fact, North Carolina's proximity to the Northeast might be a reason why so many northern transplants seem to prefer North Carolina over other southern states.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
OMG, the people that live there would totally freak over being labeled as such. They want nothing to do with the South, and many refuse to even accept that the southern portion of Missouri has southern elements. They're as hard-core as people in NOVA and South Florida about being labeled as being even remotely Southern.
And, do you have an issue with this? I'm from Nova and have never identified as a Southerner.....

Old 11-26-2020, 09:08 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And, do you have an issue with this? I'm from Nova and have never identified as a Southerner.....
Yeah, I have a problem with it. Just like I do with South Florida. I came to the conclusion long ago that they stopped teaching geography in Virginia a couple of decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City