Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better City.
Columbus 23 28.40%
Roanoke. 58 71.60%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
False -- Columbus figures didn't "yoyo" in the previous U.S. Census, or the three before that. Columbus was growing. Since 2010, population growth stopped cold, then started to decline in all three key figures: city, metro, CSA.

Yes, but Valley, AL was added to the Columbus CSA. The CSA dropped for one reason: Auburn-Opelika-Valley didn't gain enough new people to compensate for the losses in Columbus-Phenix City-Ft. Benning, so the CSA lost population. Tuskegee's removal isn't good, but that's not a conspiracy against Columbus. U.S. Census just decided Tuskegee didn't belong in the CSA.

Nope, the very opposite -- if you mean U.S. Census figures.
I knew I shouldn’t have ASSumed you would understand I was talking about the Census ETIMATES when I made that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I knew I shouldn’t have ASSumed you would understand I was talking about the Census ETIMATES when I made that statement.
And it seems rather disingenuous to me to imply that the 'blip' in population decline that occurred mid-decade is some short of statement regarding Columbus' appeal to businesses and new residents. It was in fact a direct result of military budget cuts that sent 2200 personnel packing in 2016. The balance of the decline was almost entirely attributable to the ripple effect the cuts had on the civilian population. Columbus had no control over that; what they do have control of is their economic destiny, and from what I've seen they are up to the challenge. This, too, shall pass.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
And it seems rather disingenuous to me to imply that the 'blip' in population decline that occurred mid-decade is some short of statement regarding Columbus' appeal to businesses and new residents. It was in fact a direct result of military budget cuts that sent 2200 personnel packing in 2016. The balance of the decline was almost entirely attributable to the ripple effect the cuts had on the civilian population. Columbus had no control over that; what they do have control of is their economic destiny, and from what I've seen they are up to the challenge. This, too, shall pass.
Thank you.

Columbus is headed in the right direction, and they have a strong Mayor in Theresa, whom I’ve met personally. I happen to like the city and could very well live there. That’s just my opinion.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,762 times
Quote:
That actually confirms the earlier point: despite what other posters said, metro Columbus is totally dependent on Ft. Benning. If there are military budget cuts, even the presence of AFLAC and other big local firms can't offset the damage done. Columbus' population growth was actually very modest even in the two decades before 2010. Now city + metro + CSA are declining. The city doesn't seem up to the challenge it faces.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
That actually confirms the earlier point: despite what other posters said, metro Columbus is totally dependent on Ft. Benning. If there are military budget cuts, even the presence of AFLAC and other big local firms can't offset the damage done. Columbus' population growth was actually very modest even in the two decades before 2010. Now city + metro + CSA are declining. The city doesn't seem up to the challenge it faces.
It is blatantly obvious that you absolutely have no clue of all the positive things that are going on in the city. Tourism is booming and downtown development is off the charts. Might want to take a trip down here to see it for yourself before you go off spouting false information.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:50 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:

I have to Agree,, IMO a Downtown tells a lot about a city 9 times out of 10 and DT Columbus doesn't say a whole lot and I'm sure many would agree especially for a city it's size. Ft. Benning is what holds that town down,, Point blank period. Also having the name of a Major Metro in Ohio doesn't give it much clout in the U.S as a whole or recognition. Even in the state of Georgia it doesn't hold much weight,, too many other options. Atlanta's the big dog and Savannah is on the other end of the scale taking most of the weight, while other 2nd Tiers have at least Major Freeway access and other assets. A major disadvantage Columbus, Ga has is no Major Freeway access besides a spur that dead ends, no one has a reason to go there. Most I'm sure that do would be some type of Family or Military tie to bring a true connection to the city which makes sense and I will say this much the city has some strong town pride in its citizens,, they stand by there city and that is a good thing!!! So IMO the city should count the blessings it does have honestly. As in being know in its states, neither Roanoke or Columbus, GA. are what you call a destination city in it's state but as far as name recognition around the US and the most likely for a person to visit with out any affiliation, Roanoke would win hands down.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It is blatantly obvious that you absolutely have no clue of all the positive things that are going on in the city. Tourism is booming and downtown development is off the charts. Might want to take a trip down here to see it for yourself before you go off spouting false information.
Kudos to someone who actually lives there. +1

Old 06-07-2018, 02:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Kudos to someone who actually lives there. +1
Yea these two posters have no clue. It’s entertaining to say the least. Neither have been here yet they are experts on the economic environment of Columbus.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Well, not exactly totally, but Columbus is quite aware of their historic dependency on Ft. Benning; it's a challenge facing any military town. Hence, its concerted effort to take the local economy in other directions. As other posters have noted, the downtown redevelopment initiative is indeed impressive.

Uptown Columbus

https://visitcolumbusga.com/visit/th...chee_riverwalk

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s_Georgia.html

A little exploration is recommended prior to making such sweeping pronouncements.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,762 times
Quote:
Well, not exactly totally, but Columbus is quite aware of their historic dependency on Ft. Benning; it's a challenge facing any military town. Hence, its concerted effort to take the local economy in other directions. As other posters have noted, the downtown redevelopment initiative is indeed impressive.

Uptown Columbus

https://visitcolumbusga.com/visit/th...chee_riverwalk

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s_Georgia.html

A little exploration is recommended prior to making such sweeping pronouncements.
I know that a military base as large as Ft. Benning (the largest unless that has changed) would have a giant effect on a city the size of Columbus. Also, many southern cities have revitalization and cool entertainment projects -- some quite impressive -- and Columbus' downtown restoration actually goes back to the early 1970s. That, and Columbus' national firms and HQs, still weren't able to boost the city's population, already growing slowly in recent decades but now in a slump, like Albany. It's not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City