Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Yep, that Old South Charm!
It's charming!! Maybe. Ok maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 03:37 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is your very subjective opinion, and hardly factual. You may not like either place, but a hell of a lot of your neighbors in the Upstate do.

Here's the thing, most big cities don't have a wide stream and a waterfall in their center.
I understand that given I nicknamed Greenville Waterfall City. It is one of the reasons Greenville is unique. Most cities big or small don't have one.

I like a little bit of nature in the downtown area.

Even other cities that have a waterfall don't have integrated into the middle of the CBD like Greenville's setup.

Mentioning the waterfall downtown seems to irritate the fellow travelers on here. it's weird. it is analogous to somebody being irritated if somebody mentions the hills in Austin or the Rockies near Denver. it is a geographic fact.

I take a lot of people downtown who have never been and every one them loves the waterfall and Falls Park. They are basically in a state of ecstasy. One of the best things about living here is taking people down there and bringing them joy. First time I ever saw my niece smile was when I took her to the waterfall and downtown Gville.

somebody on here mentioned that people can canoe on the river in Austin but somehow mentioning the waterfall in G Vegas is the devil.

your assertions that i don't like people who aren't like me etc doesn't make any sense. I'm not insulting people in other cities by saying that I prefer Greenville to Austin or another city.

One of the main reasons I like Waterfall City is it is the closet medium sized metro to Clemson where I went to college and I like living near the Blue Ridge and the climate. the downtown area and the waterfall is something i could easily live without.

I've posted on here and the Greenville forum that it is not a good idea to move to Greenville if only thing u like about it is the downtown area. Greenville gets some fellow travelers who originally intended to move to Asheville but liked GVegas's downtown better but a lot of them end up being disgruntled in Waterfall City. it breaks my heart.

The reason why I call one of the fellow travelers on here Jussie Smollet is b/c basically every time i see him talk about 'The South' is it something about racism , confederate flags, 'Old South', etc. I'm surprised he didn't have his imaginary redneck in the Greenville bar say 'This is MAGA Country, boy!' given ol Jussie wanted us to believe that happened in Chicago.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-28-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 04:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
I don't hate Greenville, it may end up being a satellite city for Atlanta one day. We'll snatch it up before CLT.
Oh God, that would be the most horrible thing ever. There's nothing appealing whatsoever about an uninterrupted corridor of sprawl from Atlanta to Greenville. And before anyone says it, an emerging Piedmont megalopolis doesn't mean that all of the cities on I-85 will be connected via uninterrupted sprawl in the near future. That's certainly not the case for the NEC.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I'm surprised he didn't have his imaginary redneck in the Greenville bar say 'This is MAGA Country, boy!' given ol Jussie wanted us to believe that happened in Chicago.
Why would I say that part? That would be lying. Not that I didn't meet a lot of Trump folks in SC, I did

Old 05-28-2020, 05:18 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
I prefer Greenville SC to Austin TX. Austin is absolutely the most overrated city in the entire country. It's hot, ugly, expensive, traffic is terrible, and the quality of restaurants and live music is **** poor. It may have more live music venues and restaurants than Greenville, but gotta say quality > quantity. A bunch of s****y indie bands crying on stage about the latest social injustice is not interesting. For national acts, yeah Austin gets more but I would be perfectly fine driving to Atlanta and/or Charlotte for the same acts. More mediocre restaurants serving the same crap as the one next to it isn't appealing. The extreme heat in the summer is literally deadly and sucks major a**. The insane traffic on 35 and downtown is positively stress inducing. The attitudes of the residents...my god. Probably the worst thing about Austin is the people. Keep Austin Weird! Yeah, right. Newflash: having a s***load of drunk pink haired 20-somethings downtown bar hopping and sleeping with each other isn't weird or interesting or a personality trait. God I can't stand Austin lol

Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I prefer Greenville SC to Austin TX. Austin is absolutely the most overrated city in the entire country. It's hot, ugly, expensive, traffic is terrible, and the quality of restaurants and live music is **** poor. It may have more live music venues and restaurants than Greenville, but gotta say quality > quantity. A bunch of s****y indie bands crying on stage about the latest social injustice is not interesting. For national acts, yeah Austin gets more but I would be perfectly fine driving to Atlanta and/or Charlotte for the same acts. More mediocre restaurants serving the same crap as the one next to it isn't appealing. The extreme heat in the summer is literally deadly and sucks major a**. The insane traffic on 35 and downtown is positively stress inducing. The attitudes of the residents...my god. Probably the worst thing about Austin is the people. Keep Austin Weird! Yeah, right. Newflash: having a s***load of drunk pink haired 20-somethings downtown bar hopping and sleeping with each other isn't weird or interesting or a personality trait. God I can't stand Austin lol
Tell us how you REALLY feel about the place why don't you.

But some of the best music ever made has been about social injustice. It's pretty amazing, as well as scary, how bringing attention to such has become such a perjorative in today's political climate.

Let the slow slide commence...

Old 05-28-2020, 06:11 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh God, that would be the most horrible thing ever. There's nothing appealing whatsoever about an uninterrupted corridor of sprawl from Atlanta to Greenville. And before anyone says it, an emerging Piedmont megalopolis doesn't mean that all of the cities on I-85 will be connected via uninterrupted sprawl in the near future. That's certainly not the case for the NEC.
Lol. Well, it almost sounds like him (the hyperbole of what's appealing is a nice touch).

Old 05-29-2020, 08:41 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tell us how you REALLY feel about the place why don't you.

But some of the best music ever made has been about social injustice. It's pretty amazing, as well as scary, how bringing attention to such has become such a perjorative in today's political climate.

Let the slow slide commence...
Lol...I was a few whiskies in when I posted that, a little dramatic but I still don't like Austin lol. I would live in Austin over say, OKC or Dallas and a few other places but Greenville I'd take.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
i wonder how many people have been to both Greenville and Austin.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:01 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
i wonder how many people have been to both Greenville and Austin.

I actually have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City