Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

You are the same guy who became annoyed when I said SC is considered a cool state by a lot of people in this country. You asserted that SC is not cool b/c 'it is a Confederate state'.

Now you claim you love the confederate spirit (that doesn't exist).

It seems more likely you are trying to paint Greenville as racist because of your filter.

The Old South was about slavery, segregation, lynching, etc.....to pretend that you meant it in a good way is insincere. You said that you prefer Austin to Greenville because Greenville is more Old South.

So you contend a white Democrat would have beat the Republican Tim Scott in SC..... I wonder how many political scientists would agree with you on that, even political science professors at 'prestigious" Uni of Texas.

I'm pretty sure Men's Journal hasn't had positive articles about every city. But there are a ton of other publications who have gushed in a similar way about Greenville. I don't think there is a vast conspiracy among independent media platforms to puff up little ol Greenville SC.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-06-2019 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You've provided no evidence of that. You don't like Republicans and have sour grapes that the GOP is strong in SC and other southern states.

SC voters have elected 1 out of the 3 black senators. When did the Confederates vote for a black politician?

When SC was Old South, it voted for your party. People living in SC now are not responsible for that history just as the people living in Germany today are not responsible for the Nazi history.

Part of the New South definition was a lot of Republican transplants from outside of the south. The party of Lincoln.

Here is what Men's Journal said about Greenville via this website https://cliffsliving.com/new-south-news/:

'Men’s Journal recently recognized Greenville as the epicenter of the ‘New South’ and named it The Sophisticated Southern Gem Everyone is Flocking To, lauding the food, culture and business Greenville has drawn without experiencing sprawl, traffic and other growing pains.'

How come they didn't notice all the Confederacy spirit like you did. I'm guessing they don't view the world through your political filter. You are watching a different movie than most people as the Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams would say.
Nice that Greenville got a shoutout in Men's Journal. I generally think that clickbait should be avoided, but if you wanna play that game,

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...ing-to-us-news

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl.../#42dac13b1a5c

10 Best Cities to Live in USA According to MONEY Magazine | Money

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/bes...le-denver.html

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...r-dating-2019/

and here is a summary:

https://aquilacommercial.com/learnin...ace-live-work/

I don't see Greenville any of those lists.

And I was stunned to learn upthread that there is no gay bar or club in Greenville. I know there is one in Spartanburg, I went there two years ago - pretty grim but at least it is there.

Durham has a gay bar. Worcester has a gay bar. Jackson has a gay bar. Lubbock has 2. Greensboro has 2. Even Waco has a gay bar!!!

For me, a city that cannot support a single gay bar, is definitionally a one stoplight place . . .

And if we want to play straight up facts, between Austin and Greenville, which city has a higher per capita income, higher educational attainment, lower unemployment, higher growth rate (an important category for your nebulous idea of "most people"), and less crime and significantly less violent crime? These are all facts. You may like Greenville more, that's your prerogative. Objectively, Austin is bigger ( that you concede) but also significantly safer, richer, and better educated. Waterfall with tacky bridge is a point in Greenville's favor, but not sure that is sufficient compensation for the facts that Greenville is poorer, less educated, and quite a bit more dangerous than Austin ...

Greenville is indeed closer to mountains, that is a a fact. Austin has many more amenities than Greenville- saying those amenities are better, which I believe they are, is my opinion, but that 's my prerogative. Saying there are many more amenities: cultural institutions, music venues, festivals, restaurants etc in Austin is also a FACT.

Last edited by homeinatx; 09-06-2019 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 AM

I don't think it is true Greenville is more dangerous than Austin but I'm not going to get into the per capita discussion again. Austin does have a higher number of criminals because it has more people. I prefer to be around a lower number of criminals....I don't care how the number of criminals relates to total population. The nice areas of Greenville could not be more safe.

It seems like if gay bars can't make it in Greenville, the center of the 40th largest CSA, there isn't much demand for gay bars by gay people living here. The other bars do not exclude gay people.

Keep in mind all of my posts are coming from a straight man's perspective. As I pointed out previously, I see a lot of gay couples in downtown Greenville, and at the mall, and they look happy on the surface.

Greenville has a ton of festivals, restaurants, cultural institutions, etc. Fall for Greenville and Artisphere are two of the most popular festivals in the south.

The 'Austin has more' argument works better in relation to smaller cities than Greenville. Greenville is large enough to have more than enough restaurants, shopping etc for most people.

If a person perfers a more quaint and more green place with less traffic and close to mountains, Greenville is the better choice. If a person gets excited by tall buildings and more people, than Austin is the better choice.

Your hot take that the Liberty Bridge over the waterfall in Gville is tacky doesn't seem to be a majority viewpoint. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-07-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 03:55 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Nice that Greenville got a shoutout in Men's Journal. I generally think that clickbait should be avoided, but if you wanna play that game,

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...ing-to-us-news

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl.../#42dac13b1a5c

10 Best Cities to Live in USA According to MONEY Magazine | Money

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/bes...le-denver.html

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...r-dating-2019/

and here is a summary:

https://aquilacommercial.com/learnin...ace-live-work/

I don't see Greenville any of those lists.

And I was stunned to learn upthread that there is no gay bar or club in Greenville. I know there is one in Spartanburg, I went there two years ago - pretty grim but at least it is there.

Durham has a gay bar. Worcester has a gay bar. Jackson has a gay bar. Lubbock has 2. Greensboro has 2. Even Waco has a gay bar!!!

For me, a city that cannot support a single gay bar, is definitionally a one stoplight place . . .

And if we want to play straight up facts, between Austin and Greenville, which city has a higher per capita income, higher educational attainment, lower unemployment, higher growth rate (an important category for your nebulous idea of "most people"), and less crime and significantly less violent crime? These are all facts. You may like Greenville more, that's your prerogative. Objectively, Austin is bigger ( that you concede) but also significantly safer, richer, and better educated. Waterfall with tacky bridge is a point in Greenville's favor, but not sure that is sufficient compensation for the facts that Greenville is poorer, less educated, and quite a bit more dangerous than Austin ...

Greenville is indeed closer to mountains, that is a a fact. Austin has many more amenities than Greenville- saying those amenities are better, which I believe they are, is my opinion, but that 's my prerogative. Saying there are many more amenities: cultural institutions, music venues, festivals, restaurants etc in Austin is also a FACT.
IDK about gay bars, but Greenville is pretty welcoming. Everytime I go into a bar, guy next to me would ask my ethnicity. I would tell them and inevitably he would say "I don't care what race you are, I like orentals as a whole. As long as you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice."

Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
IDK about gay bars, but Greenville is pretty welcoming. Everytime I go into a bar, guy next to me would ask my ethnicity. I would tell them and inevitably he would say "I don't care what race you are, I like orentals as a whole. As long as you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice."
I see what you did there.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Here's the playbook. That's all of it. It is Jussie Smollet stuff.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Very familiar with both areas. I'd go with Greenville. It, IMO, has the best BALANCE between the 2 and is much less expensive. Though I don't hate Austin, in all of my travels, I have found it to be the most overrated metro in the nation. Greenville is very unpretentious and Austin is very much so. Again, I don't hate Austin. I just think Greenville is much more well rounded, friendlier, you'll get more bang for your buck, and has a better year round climate. Love its convenience to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Asheville as well. Good luck wherever you end up!
Looks like at least one person agreed with me, 80s_kid

perhaps a little more to it than 'hiking'.

i think Austin's downtown area is aesthetically unappealing and any city that has the motto 'Keep x Weird' has a lot of pretentious people.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Why do you have a problem with confederate spirit? I loved it myself.

As for the magazine article, they've written glowing stuff about most cities. This reminds me of the time Lisa Simpson gave Chief Wiggum's kid a valentine because he had none. He took it to heart, just like you took it to heart.

Tim Scott is indeed black and indeed a US senator. You left out the part that his opponent was also black though.

And when did I imply that being a confederate stronghold means a state is racist. Do not put words in my mouth. I enjoyed my time in South Carolina and enjoyed the old, southern charm. But I had to leave as it was too hot for me.
Here's one of his many insincere posts , straight from the playbook 80s_kid alluded to. He loves that confederate spirit even if he has to make it up and dismiss inconvenient facts for him like SC electing Tim Scott for senate.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:39 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
OP here is my true opinion of both. I live in Austin but I also used to live in Atlanta and took very frequent trips to and through Greenville as I had family in SC and NC.

For your preference in that you do not have to commute, seem to be very outdoorsy, looking for things to do and nightlife... Austin will win by a metric mile. Greenville is a great town but it does not offer anything close to the level of amenities Austin does at such close proximity. Austin offers Canoeing right in Downtown:

As well as along the Colorado River / Highland Lakes systems. Tons of trails and parks, a bar scene unlike any I've seen before, the Hill Country out to the west is quite gorgeous:

and it's immediately outside of Austin's downtown area. Austin is also just plainly an outright larger city with a stronger economy.

Now I will say this, the cost of living in Austin is also significantly higher than Greenville. Greenville is locale to alot more unique cities than Austin is as well (Atlanta, Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, Knoxville, Asheville) If things change and you have to start commuting, you will NEED to live close to where you work or your experience in Austin can change sour much more rapidly than Greenville as our traffic is uncanny and most of our highways are tollroads. The other thing is, The Blueridge is hands down a better mountain region. You could look into moving closer to the mountains and 'locale' to Greenville since you only need to work remotely. Have you also considered Dahlonega GA, Canton GA, Gainesville GA or Helen GA? Those would put you much closer into the mountains and also close to Atlanta... your amenities would be a bit more spread out so to speak but you will have overall more of them at your disposal within a reasonable distance.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 PM

Why would anybody expect him to address the 'fruitless' dispute, which is really their one sided feud. My comments were for a specific person who kept alluding to this thread on another topic and talking about they have a playbook for me. I figured it would be good if people saw my comments, not his characterization of them.

He doesn't explain how Greenville doesn't have enough bars, restaurants, etc for a nightlife. How is Austin's nightlife better. Nightlife is about hanging out with friends at places downtown. Downtown Greenville is the center of the 40th most populated CSA in the country. It doesn't seem likely that somehow drinking a beer in Austin is a better experience.

Nightlife is only good if you are with people you like.

downtown Greenville has a better aesthetic to it than downtown Austin for nightlife with all the trees, wide sidewalks, fountains and man made waterfalls, 30 ft waterfall with the park with stone walkways and massive pedestrian bridge over it, restaurants/bars open to the outside, some with rooftop dining, etc. If you want a more typical urban look, a big street grid with stuff scattered about randomly, Austin is def. the better choice.

Ben Stein described Greenville as a college town for adults and I think that's a good description.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-25-2020 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City