Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver 34 79.07%
San Jose 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Oh boy am I jealous of your NIMBYism and inequality.... Why don't you pee on some fast food workers while you're at it. Or you could poo on the street like your neighbours up in San Fran do.

We have 18 page thread explaining how San Jose isn't any better than Denver yet it costs 3.2x as much. Sounds like a 1 star Yelp review to me.
It's a lot of things contributing to the horrendous housing prices in the Bay Area and most people there aren't like 18Montclair cheering it on.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
Pay more to get less! Brilliant!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I mean, clearly people do have some desire to see Denver. The city just set a new record of 32 Million visitors in 2017 (12th consecutive year of growth). It’s not really a shocker that people in London and Tokyo aren’t thinking about Denver (A barely top 20 US Metro that’s nowhere near a coast). That would be like saying “I live in Denver and have never heard anyone say a word about Birmingham or Osaka.”

With that said, I work downtown near Union Station and speak with many visitors all the time who are excited to stay. Not saying Denver is a main destination in the US or anything of course, but I think the city deserves a little more credit.
That'll do Mezter, you've made your point.

Denver is a cool city with plenty to offer people. I find it to be an even nicer place to live, especially in America. It's just a well rounded city that has its priorities in the right place. So amazing things can happen for people in Denver. No doubt about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I’ve also never even heard a single person in Denver speak of Singapore, but that doesn’t invalidate the place at all.
How interesting, I can personally name 5 Denverites that actually have spoken of Singapore in the last 2 weeks to last 2 months, half of them actually taking a trip on the plane to Singapore itself two weeks ago.

Their names are Zeke Miller, Catharine Lucey, Foster Klug, Josh Lederman, and Josh Wagner.

Not only is Singapore the unofficial capital of Southeast Asia and one of the most internationally visited cities on Earth (16.6 million international/overseas visitors a year) and one of the most expensive cities on Earth, but because of its geopolitical ability to remain neutral to global affairs, it was the host of the most televised event in 2018 (aside from the 2018 FIFA World Cup), the Singapore Summit. That's when North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un and United States President Donald Trump sat down to have a historic conversation. Needless to say, journalists and reporters from every corner of the planet, including a few from the Denver Post, were there to cover the event. It's also one of the world's most expensive cities, both to live in and to visit, all bookings at hotels and other accommodations were made a month in advance before the event.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/1...gapore-summit/

While it isn't on the radar of Americans and that's fine, they probably could not care any less than they already do, that doesn't bother people from Singapore. As we jokingly say there "Singapore is India's most advanced city and China's freest city." Mostly because 80% of the people that live there come from countries all over Asia-Pacific, Oceania, or other areas of the former British Empire. It's also economically a vital global center, so it's okay Mezter, no worries, you couldn't invalidate the city even if you tried.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
That'll do Mezter, you've made your point.

Denver is a cool city with plenty to offer people. I find it to be an even nicer place to live, especially in America. It's just a well rounded city that has its priorities in the right place. So amazing things can happen for people in Denver. No doubt about it.

How interesting, I can personally name 5 Denverites that actually have spoken of Singapore in the last 2 weeks to last 2 months, half of them actually taking a trip on the plane to Singapore itself two weeks ago.

Their names are Zeke Miller, Catharine Lucey, Foster Klug, Josh Lederman, and Josh Wagner.

Not only is Singapore the unofficial capital of Southeast Asia and one of the most internationally visited cities on Earth (16.6 million international/overseas visitors a year) and one of the most expensive cities on Earth, but because of its geopolitical ability to remain neutral to global affairs, it was the host of the most televised event in 2018 (aside from the 2018 FIFA World Cup), the Singapore Summit. That's when North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un and United States President Donald Trump sat down to have a historic conversation. Needless to say, journalists and reporters from every corner of the planet, including a few from the Denver Post, were there to cover the event. It's also one of the world's most expensive cities, both to live in and to visit, all bookings at hotels and other accommodations were made a month in advance before the event.

While it isn't on the radar of Americans and that's fine, they probably could not care any less than they already do, that doesn't bother people from Singapore. As we jokingly say there "Singapore is India's most advanced city and China's freest city." Mostly because 80% of the people that live there come from countries all over Asia-Pacific, Oceania, or other areas of the former British Empire. It's also economically a vital global center, so it's okay Mezter, no worries, you couldn't invalidate the city even if you tried.
Small nitpick--Singapore is one of the most internationally visited cities on Earth, but their stats usually though not always count in people commuting from Malaysia where the tip acts as a suburb of the city-state. That takes a chunk out of those numbers, but they're still big numbers.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Oh boy am I jealous of your NIMBYism and inequality.... Why don't you pee on some fast food workers while you're at it. Or you could poo on the street like your neighbours up in San Fran do.
Haha I meant people HERE are jealous of home prices there. Yall r so wound up.

I have 2 assistants who each earn over $100,000 but live all the way out in the central valley because they cant afford a house they like even in Hayward or San Leandro-You think I like that? gtfoh lol

Quote:
We have 18 page thread explaining how San Jose isn't any better than Denver yet it costs 3.2x as much. Sounds like a 1 star Yelp review to me.
Well thusfar to be honest, the only criteria that I think Denver really has over the San Jose area is that its 3.2 times cheaper.

So yeah...

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-28-2018 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I have 2 assistants who each earn over $100,000 but live all the way out in the central valley because they cant afford a house they like even in Hayward or San Leandro-You think I like that? gtfoh lol

Well thusfar to be honest, the only criteria that I think Denver really has over the San Jose area is that its 3.2 times cheaper.

So yeah...
How about better nightlife, more vibrant downtown, closer access to good snow, and then pile on everything that comes from that lower cost of living relative to wages?

Old 06-28-2018, 08:55 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:

So yeah...
Oh lol. I really thought you had drank some Kool-Aid .

We do have better rocks though here though, so...

Old 06-28-2018, 08:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about better nightlife
A person can get lit in SJ easy...yawns

Quote:
more vibrant downtown
true but both are largely meh to me

Quote:
closer access to good snow
snow=poison

Quote:
and then pile on everything that comes from that lower cost of living relative to wages?
Yes Denver is way more affordable-congrats to those who take advantage of that. That isnt an issue for me tho.

So why downgrade from the Bay Area? To each his own I suppose.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
A person can get lit in SJ easy...yawns

true but both are largely meh to me

snow=poison

Yes Denver is way more affordable-congrats to those who take advantage of that. That isnt an issue for me tho.

So why downgrade from the Bay Area? To each his own I suppose.
Are we going back to a Bay Area comparison again?

And I'm not saying that SJ doesn't have nightlife--I didn't think that was the point of a comparison. I thought we were comparing two cities. I get the feeling that stuff is mostly meh--like, I live in NYC and it's pretty good for a vibrant downtown and no city even comes close in the US in comparison to NYC, but we're comparing San Jose and Denver.

Sure, I can see someone hating snow and that can be a for or against depending on the person.

I'll say that I do think runaway housing prices is a bad thing to me and I think most people who are actually living in that situation. I'm fine where I am, but I don't like the idea of people I actually care about getting priced out and moving away because of it or seeing businesses that I frequent and like close and leaving empty storefronts. That's not attractive to me even if it means more money for me.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

So...because journalists are writing about an event that just so happened to be in Singapore, that means it's a destination for everyone? Once again, I'm not discrediting Singapore what so ever, but it's not exactly a main subject of discussion here, just as we're not on the radar for Singaporean residents. In my experiences, I've heard numerous people talk about wanting to visit or just speaking of places like Seattle, Chicago, Las Vegas, LA, NYC, DC, Florida, Texas, etc (Outside of the country, I've heard many times people mention places like London, Tokyo, Canada, Dubai, Mexico, China, places in the Caribbean, etc). But never Singapore. And like I said, that's not to say nobody in Denver has ever thought of the place or wanted to visit. My whole point was just to highlight how these 2 are Worlds apart, so it's not really surprising that residents of both don't really think of the other. This wasn't a jab at Singapore at all! I'm sure it's an amazing city and it looks absolutely gorgeous

Quote:

So yeah...
Population, Downtown, Transportation, Sporting Venues, and Airport all clearly go to Denver (With things like Shopping being debatable). That's 5/10 of the criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City