Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times

Advertisements

Rochester for the win! I have a very soft spot in my heart for Western and Central NY...

Something about Cincinnati doesn't appeal to me, and I've been told by a girl who grew up there (and has lived in Nashville, Philly, and now Charlotte) that it isn't particularly inviting for blacks, either...

Louisville seems cool but I have a connection to Roc I dont have with Louisville. I do agree that none of these cities are booming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Rochester for the win! I have a very soft spot in my heart for Western and Central NY...

Something about Cincinnati doesn't appeal to me, and I've been told by a girl who grew up there (and has lived in Nashville, Philly, and now Charlotte) that it isn't particularly inviting for blacks, either...

Louisville seems cool but I have a connection to Roc I dont have with Louisville. I do agree that none of these cities are booming...
That's cool you like Rochester but it is not even in the same STRATOSPHERE with respects to Louisville development. I wouldn't group Louisville's steady population growth with Rochester's stagnant growth. Cincinnati is in between.

Look at this list at the bottom of this article from 2014-2017 development:

https://insiderlouisville.com/govern...opment-number/

And this list above is over a year old. Since then dozens of multi million dollar projects announced or broken ground (see all these articles below even from the last month not to mention in 2018)!
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...re/crane-watch

For some reason, I am the only person on this website evangelizing about the boom going on in Louisville, but that doesn't mean it isn't going on.

Why is the MSA only growing at 5% and not 10% like most booming metros? Well for one, Louisville isn't booming to the degree the sunbelt is. And for two, the west side of the metro outside IN is very similar and somewhat stagnant like much of Rochester. So as much as the E and NE suburbs and downtown urban nabes grow, those areas in the W and SW drag the entire metro down.

If I am wrong about Rochester, please post a similar development list. Heck, I can't even find a Crane/Project watch site for Rochester! A few years ago, I spent almost a week there. Very very little development going on. Again, if it's changed in the last 3 years, please link a big list like that showing billions in private development.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:05 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
That's cool you like Rochester but it is not even in the same STRATOSPHERE with respects to Louisville development. I wouldn't group Louisville's steady population growth with Rochester's stagnant growth. Cincinnati is in between.

Look at this list at the bottom of this article from 2014-2017 development:

https://insiderlouisville.com/govern...opment-number/

And this list above is over a year old. Since then dozens of multi million dollar projects announced or broken ground (see all these articles below even from the last month not to mention in 2018)!
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...re/crane-watch

For some reason, I am the only person on this website evangelizing about the boom going on in Louisville, but that doesn't mean it isn't going on.

Why is the MSA only growing at 5% and not 10% like most booming metros? Well for one, Louisville isn't booming to the degree the sunbelt is. And for two, the west side of the metro outside IN is very similar and somewhat stagnant like much of Rochester. So as much as the E and NE suburbs and downtown urban nabes grow, those areas in the W and SW drag the entire metro down.

If I am wrong about Rochester, please post a similar development list. Heck, I can't even find a Crane/Project watch site for Rochester! A few years ago, I spent almost a week there. Very very little development going on. Again, if it's changed in the last 3 years, please link a big list like that showing billions in private development.
There were some developments posted earlier in the thread. There are some in this list as well: https://www.cityofrochester.gov/projects/

More: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dem...amp/2275998002

Investment Projects | rochesterdowntown.com

https://rbj.net/2018/05/11/downtown-...ucking-trends/

Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM

367 posts, read 584,898 times
Food scene/culture Cincinnati
Economics Cincinnati/Rochester
Natural beauty/scenery Cincinnati
Proximity to other cities
Shopping Cincinnati
Nightlife Cincinnati

Overall Cincinnati is the best choice. Second option would be Rochester.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Since I grew up in New England and have family in Upstate New York, I admit that I am more familiar with the attractions and sights of New York and Pennsylvania than those of Kentucky and Ohio. Regardless, I find Rochester's proximity to those attractions and sights to be quite good.

For example, Rochester is approximately 1 hour from Chimney Bluffs State Park, 1.5 hours from Niagara Falls, 1.5 hours from Watkins Glen, 1.75 hours from Ithaca, 2.75 hours from Cooperstown, 3.5 hours from Saratoga Springs and 4 hours from Lake George. Additionally, there are dozens of mountains, lakes, waterfalls and vineyards for recreation across Upstate New York.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Louisville is a pleasant small town, but at the end of the day, it's exhaustible in a weekend. Cincinnati 100%.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:17 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Which city of the three is best, based on the following categories?

(caveat: I was in Cincinnati for the first time in years 2 weeks ago on business, and was very impressed... Louisville I've never been to (Lexington, yes, which is cool, but it's no Louisville), Rochester as a kid passing through with family, but can't remember anything about it..., so opinions about those places are based on my impressions only...)

Food scene/culture: Cincy (although Louisville gets strong consideration, and at least ties for culture; it's old-world, old-school gentile South in many ways... and it's got THE Derby...

Economics: Not quite sure what this means, so I'll pass on this one...

Natural beauty/scenery: Cincy (sharp hills, Ohio River valley, Mt. Adams (on a hill))

Proximity to other cities:
Louisville and Cincy are tied here, both are in what I call the Midwestern/near South Metroplex. Lots of interesting cities nearby within a days drive, including Chicago which, in many ways, is the capital of the Midwest/interior of the USA

Shopping:
can't say definitively; I would default to Cincinnati since its the bigger, more powerful metro area than the other 2.

Nightlife: Cincy, again, for reasons similar to Shopping...

Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Which city of the three is best, based on the following categories?

Proximity to other cities:
Louisville and Cincy are tied here, both are in what I call the Midwestern/near South Metroplex. Lots of interesting cities nearby within a days drive, including Chicago which, in many ways, is the capital of the Midwest/interior of the USA
[b]
I'll give you everything but this one...

Within about the same distance of Chicago to the midwestern cities, Rochester is within driving distance of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, Albany, Burlington, and Ottawa. Just a few miles further (about 30) takes you to Detroit, Montreal, Philadelphia, or NY City. Even DC and Boston are less than 7 hours away.

And there is a heck of a lot better scenery along the drives out of Rochester (Adirondacks, Catskills, Allegheny,
Berkshires, Poconos, Great Lakes, 1000 Islands, etc).

Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Never been to Louisville and have read very little about it over the years, so I can’t weigh in on it.

Between Cincy and Rochester, I’d probably pick Cincy for its urban core. I’ve been there 3 times and each time happened to be the hottest week of summer, so my view of its climate suffers from a bad sample. I’ve been to Rochester 8 or 9 times and really like it. It’s relatively small, but has some good neighborhoods. The CBD has livened up a bit but i still feel there’s wasted potential there.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Wegmans is absolutely better than Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City