Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro Area is more International?
Atlanta 33 22.30%
Houston 101 68.24%
Its a Tie 14 9.46%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 AM

923 posts, read 665,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston being in Tx helps. As Texas is way more international than Georgia. In Europe ppl will think Georgia the country instead of the state. Texas is well known from state shape to politics thanks to the bush George Bush.
True Texas as a state is more well known but Houston and George Bushs connection to it is a stretch to think people think about that.
Know more than people associate Jimmy Carter who was president and a Noble Peace Prize Humanitarian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Sorry to tell you but it's just no winning this on the diversity and International meter when it comes to Atlanta and Houston on this... The polls tell a story in its self.
Tell me what?Have you read anything Ive said?You just salty because you were wrong about the other poll you lost after you made a ridiculous statement.Now you are in this one looking for redemption.

Pay attention.The question was which was more international.
Not diverse.Of which I dont know how many times I have said that Atlanta is diverse bot not as much as Houston.
So what is your argument?:
I do not think its is more international or at best equal.Many of you cant accept that.A poll by half the people who have never been to these cities based on their comments of things that are factually false is not going to change my mind as you cannot prove these things.You either see it or you dont.

Every discussion about Atlanta it gives you a chance to bash Atlanta.You put your foot in your month in the other thread about another much smaller city being more diverse and international than Atlanta,now you are here looking for vindication because you were proven wrong.

Now you talking about race relations again when it has nothing to do with the OP questions.I would move if I lived in a place where I had to deal with negative things like racism but you just keep talking like your life is so bad.Stop whining and freaking move to Nashville or Houston already and get out of RACIST Atlanta!geez,dude
Houston has a been named in violation of the Civil rights Act but I would NEVER suggest the city is racist nor would I say its the best place for racial progress either
https://www.thedailybeast.com/hud-ho...vil-rights-act

Old 09-04-2018, 05:22 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Tell me what?Have you read anything Ive said?You just salty because you were wrong about the other poll you lost after you made a ridiculous statement.Now you are in this one looking for redemption.

Pay attention.The question was which was more international.
Not diverse.Of which I dont know how many times I have said that Atlanta is diverse bot not as much as Houston.
So what is your argument?:
I do not think its is more international or at best equal.Many of you cant accept that.A poll by half the people who have never been to these cities based on their comments of things that are factually false is not going to change my mind as you cannot prove these things.You either see it or you dont.

Every discussion about Atlanta it gives you a chance to bash Atlanta.You put your foot in your month in the other thread about another much smaller city being more diverse and international than Atlanta,now you are here looking for vindication because you were proven wrong.

Now you talking about race relations again when it has nothing to do with the OP questions.I would move if I lived in a place where I had to deal with negative things like racism but you just keep talking like your life is so bad.Stop whining and freaking move to Nashville or Houston already and get out of RACIST Atlanta!geez,dude
Houston has a been named in violation of the Civil rights Act but I would NEVER suggest the city is racist nor would I say its the best place for racial progress either
https://www.thedailybeast.com/hud-ho...vil-rights-act
Smh,, I have no words

Old 09-04-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Smh,, I have no words
Because you cant.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Dude, no one is talking about city limits so this doesn't matter. When R1070 said "cities", he/she for sure meant metro area. And the most diverse parts of Houston are in the Southwest side/Southwest suburbs anyway. It is definitely head and shoulders more international than Atlanta at the metro level and pretty much by every metric (foreign consulates, internatonal pop percentage, foreign born percentage, etc.). The diversity in Gwinnett doesn't come close to the most diverse areas of Houston.

I only see one crazy post about Houston. Can you point out the others? Meanwhile there is a 12-year old Atlanta poster going bonkers in this thread...
Yes, I meant metro areas for each. Houston is still more diverse and integrated.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Because you cant.
I guess I’m confused as to the argument you’re trying to make. For the record, I love Atlanta. If I was going to leave Houston, it would be on the short list of places I’d consider. I can see where you’re coming from a bit because some of the things said about Atlanta on this thread are false, but you’ve also said some things about Houston that aren’t accurate.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I guess I’m confused as to the argument you’re trying to make. For the record, I love Atlanta. If I was going to leave Houston, it would be on the short list of places I’d consider. I can see where you’re coming from a bit because some of the things said about Atlanta on this thread are false, but you’ve also said some things about Houston that aren’t accurate.
There is a difference in being unabashedly false as oppose to a matter of opinion based on preference.I said somethings in that long post knocking Houston because those are all things often said about Houston.They were exaggerations meant to show contrast to all the things the absolute patently false things had been said or suggested about Atlanta.
You cant prove or disprove much of this what we are talking about but I have given many pertinent facts only to have them dismiss for what is using language agian like""Houston Clearly"
"how is this even close?"
Atlanta race rekations are worse"
"Houston is more integrated"
One poster tried to get me to believe that having a family member in another country was more powerful in getting peoples attention than the media or internet

Yet NOT ONE has provided ANY substantive evidence to their claims.Yet Im a booster for givig such eveidence of my claims other than just "what I think"

Old 09-05-2018, 01:48 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
There is a difference in being unabashedly false as oppose to a matter of opinion based on preference.I said somethings in that long post knocking Houston because those are all things often said about Houston.They were exaggerations meant to show contrast to all the things the absolute patently false things had been said or suggested about Atlanta.
You cant prove or disprove much of this what we are talking about but I have given many pertinent facts only to have them dismiss for what is using language agian like""Houston Clearly"
"how is this even close?"
Atlanta race rekations are worse"
"Houston is more integrated"
One poster tried to get me to believe that having a family member in another country was more powerful in getting peoples attention than the media or internet

Yet NOT ONE has provided ANY substantive evidence to their claims.Yet Im a booster for givig such eveidence of my claims other than just "what I think"
Ok, lets take it claim at a time:

"Houston clearly" and "how is this even close":

Based on what I pointed out in my OP, I think I answered that. Houston has more foreign diplomatic missions (consulates), Houston gets more foreign visitors (even with Mexico excluded), Houston has a more international population, and Houston has more foreign O&D (origin and destination traffic/non-connecting) by a margin of 4.2 million to 3 million.

As mentioned Atlanta does probably win out in name recognition and attention, but that isnt near enough to overcome the above. To me, thats why it isnt close nor should it be. Im sorry but I dont view Atlanta and Houston as peers here.

"Atlanta's race relations are worse"

I dont think there is a way to qualify that so I agree that isnt really a fair statement. I dont view either city as particularly racist at all.

"Houston is more integrated".

This is actually more complicated that others seem to be making it out. It actually depends on the group were talking about. Atlanta is more integrated in virtually every category related to African Americans. Houston is more integrated when it comes to Non-Hispanic white's exposure to other ethnic groups.

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...?metroid=26420

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...?metroid=12060

Based on that, I would have to conclude that saying "Houston is more integrated" with no clarification is a bit unfair and inaccurate in parts.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Dude, no one is talking about city limits so this doesn't matter. When R1070 said "cities", he/she for sure meant metro area. And the most diverse parts of Houston are in the Southwest side/Southwest suburbs anyway. It is definitely head and shoulders more international than Atlanta at the metro level and pretty much by every metric (foreign consulates, internatonal pop percentage, foreign born percentage, etc.). The diversity in Gwinnett doesn't come close to the most diverse areas of Houston.

I only see one crazy post about Houston. Can you point out the others? Meanwhile there is a 12-year old Atlanta poster going bonkers in this thread...
Regardless of what was meant it makes a difference because the narrative that you same to paint is not completely accurate.That is Houston is more diverse but hardly leaps and bounds.

This poll had Houston as winner before it was started.All the leading questions favor Houston based on criteria that does not necessarily all together make a city more or less international.
An example would be how many Diplomatic missions .
Houston and Atlanta have more than several cities that are arguably more international.Many of them are less diverse,less international pop percentage,less foreign born and several other metrics like less population
No one would say Houston is more international against more well known cities that I described.

So if I said to you that there are 3 cities in the Atlanta metro that are among the most diverse top 100 cities in America and only Houston the city proper is represented.How would that be a blow out"?
Especially as Penguin and others have stated that if Atlanta were the size of Houston area wise,the cities of Sandy Springs,Roswell,Johns Creek would be included.

those are are not in the city but the metro.They are not counties but are cities.
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

Now you are being completely outlandish. Gwinnett is one of the most diverse counties in the South so just top it.How does this correlate to not "coming close to the most diverse counties of Houston"?
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045217

Old 09-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ok, lets take it claim at a time:

"Houston clearly" and "how is this even close":

Based on what I pointed out in my OP, I think I answered that. Houston has more foreign diplomatic missions (consulates), Houston gets more foreign visitors (even with Mexico excluded), Houston has a more international population, and Houston has more foreign O&D (origin and destination traffic/non-connecting) by a margin of 4.2 million to 3 million.

As mentioned Atlanta does probably win out in name recognition and attention, but that isnt near enough to overcome the above. To me, thats why it isnt close nor should it be. Im sorry but I dont view Atlanta and Houston as peers here.

"Atlanta's race relations are worse"

I dont think there is a way to qualify that so I agree that isnt really a fair statement. I dont view either city as particularly racist at all.

"Houston is more integrated".

This is actually more complicated that others seem to be making it out. It actually depends on the group were talking about. Atlanta is more integrated in virtually every category related to African Americans. Houston is more integrated when it comes to Non-Hispanic white's exposure to other ethnic groups.

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...?metroid=26420

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...?metroid=12060

Based on that, I would have to conclude that saying "Houston is more integrated" with no clarification is a bit unfair and inaccurate in parts.
When you look at raw numbers,yes Houston gets more international air traffic.As a percentage of the international market share,it about even. You know as well as I do much of Houstons traffic comes from ONE country and region. Mexico and Central America.

I have some Airbnb properties in Atlanta.I meet people from all over the world.Its no way to track this but it makes sense but people don't always come straight to through Atlanta airport. I get many international guest that come from ,multiple cities as we are on the East Coast
Either way,I still don't see it as some indicator.
The guidelines you set were set as you see Houston as the clear winner which is a flawed premise from the start.
If i said which city is more black based on these things:
percentage of blacks
Number of HBCU's
Number of black owned business
Black media hub and entertainment outlets
Black History contribution
I know this is more direct than what you questioned but its not far from it with a few accept ions like when you threw Atlanta a bone in "name recognition".
And of course everyone will say Atlanta but a few say might Houston

Even then it most certainly can be one metric.As I said before many cities around the world and in the U.S. dont lead in most of these metrics but they are still clearly international yet you dont think Atlanta recognition and branding is worth much in comparison.
I do.At least enough as I said before where its still Houston but is not by far.
We just wont agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City