Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Vancouver does not have world class universities or hospitals, Vancouver has 1 major pro sports team Boston has 4. The Vancouver public library has a much smaller collection the Boston public library has. Boston has more esteemed club Turks institutions across the board.
UBC doesn't rank as high as some, but it is 38 out of 1000 universities worldwide, so it's no slouch according to these rankings. Also Canadian universities are much more affordable.

https://cwur.org/2018-19.php

Again, though, for the average citizen who isn't going to uni it doesn't affect my QOL.

Sports teams, meh.

Librairies I love, but unless you are a serious researcher, I'm not feeling it matters much.

Hospitals. Again, for the vast majority of citizens, as long as the hospitals are modern, have excellent care, and can offer almost all kinds of care, and is accessible to all, it doesn't affect most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 864,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
UBC doesn't rank as high as some, but it is 38 out of 1000 universities worldwide, so it's no slouch according to these rankings. Also Canadian universities are much more affordable.

Again, though, for the average citizen who isn't going to uni it doesn't affect my QOL.

Sports teams, meh.

Librairies I love, but unless you are a serious researcher, I'm not feeling it matters much.

Hospitals. Again, for the vast majority of citizens, as long as the hospitals are modern, have excellent care, and can offer almost all kinds of care, and is accessible to all, it doesn't affect most.
How about economy? Diversity of economy? Research and development? What are the chances I can get a good paying job there? How about the arts...Boston symphony orchestra is one of the best the world has to offer

Old 01-04-2019, 03:03 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,058,216 times
Quote:

Sports teams, meh.

Of “cultural” institutions lubeararies are by far the most used. While you could make an argument orchestras or Ballets don’t much matter I’ve literally never met a person who has never used a public library.

However literally every institution in Boston being a tier above every insitution in Vancouver let it be Universities, Hospitals, Libraries, Galleries, Performance arts etc tells you a lot about a city.

These cities are not peers. That is not to say that it’s impossible for someone to enjoy Vancouver more than Boston but Economically, Culturally, Historically they are just on different levels

Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
How about economy? Diversity of economy? Research and development? What are the chances I can get a good paying job there? How about the arts...Boston symphony orchestra is one of the best the world has to offer
Research and development is great, but where it's located doesn't affect most people. Economy. People keep going on about Vancouver's economy ignoring that it's economy seems to survive. We are the largest port in Canada and one of the largest in North America.

Jobs...depends what you do. Arts and culture, again personal things. I actually would prefer if Vancouver had more museums etc, but the city is still young and growing. It's not as if it's a cultural desert though.

Boston will get good scores on certain things, Vancouver on others. For me, I prefer the things Vancouver offers. Things that Boston can't compete on, from what I can tell.

I'm not trying to slag Boston, since as I've said, I haven't been. I'm sure I would enjoy visiting, BUT, when ones priorities are different than what Boston offers, I can't ever see myself living there.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM

1,394 posts, read 864,150 times
Quote:
Research and development is great, but where it's located doesn't affect most people. Economy. People keep going on about Vancouver's economy ignoring that it's economy seems to survive. We are the largest port in Canada and one of the largest in North America.

Jobs...depends what you do. Arts and culture, again personal things. I actually would prefer if Vancouver had more museums etc, but the city is still young and growing. It's not as if it's a cultural desert though.

Boston will get good scores on certain things, Vancouver on others. For me, I prefer the things Vancouver offers. Things that Boston can't compete on, from what I can tell.

I'm not trying to slag Boston, since as I've said, I haven't been. I'm sure I would enjoy visiting, BUT, when ones priorities are different than what Boston offers, I can't ever see myself living there.

Your line of reasoning could be used to say Vancouver is superior to nyc or London..sure nyc offers the most opportunity but it depends what you do... what does Vancouver score ahead of Boston on in your opinion?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM

3,873 posts, read 5,299,209 times
Quote:

Actually R&D employs quite a few people in the area, so it is not some select few. Plus when it comes to Medical research the early stage trials have real life impacts locally, since new types of medical advances happen locally before they reach other parts of the country and world. It is incredible that you would turn your nose up at something so important?

Vancouver is not devoid of culture of course, but compared to places like Boston it is a cultural desert. It is the same reason why to many cities like Toronto and Montreal are more appealing than Vancouver as their cultural offerings are on another level.

You can obviously prefer living in Vancouver because if I am not mistaken that has been your home for your entire life? So obviously you love it, but you would have to at least visit a place to see if your interests could be satisfied in a place like Boston or the greater New England region or not.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 PM

3,873 posts, read 5,299,209 times
Quote:
The hospitals in Boston are for the entire population as well. Boston is considered to have the most complete hospital system on the planet when it comes to delivery, instruction and research mixed into one. You may have missed it but Massachusetts passed a Universal Healthcare law in 2005, which has resulted in a 99% coverage rate among children and 98.7 rate for adults. All the major teaching hospitals, many of which are Harvard Medical School teaching hospitals (rated the best medical school in the world) accept Mass Health along with any other type of employer based insurance plan. So there is no such thing as the rich going to certain hospitals and the poor others.

Vancouver does not have the depth of medical facilities that are available in Boston, nor the prestigious medical schools and research facilities that are affiliated with them.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:43 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The hospitals in Boston are for the entire population as well. Boston is considered to have the most complete hospital system on the planet when it comes to delivery, instruction and research mixed into one. You may have missed it but Massachusetts passed a Universal Healthcare law in 2005, which has resulted in a 99% coverage rate among children and 98.7 rate for adults. All the major teaching hospitals, many of which are Harvard Medical School teaching hospitals (rated the best medical school in the world) accept Mass Health along with any other type of employer based insurance plan. So there is no such thing as the rich going to certain hospitals and the poor others.

Vancouver does not have the depth of medical facilities that are available in Boston, nor the prestigious medical schools and research facilities that are affiliated with them.
+1; there was a documentary on h.b.o. about the boston marathon bombings that mentioned there are 17 emergency rooms within .5 mile of the finish line. sadly there were over 275 amputees; miraculously, only 3 persons passed away. the population of e.r. doctors, paramedics, ambulance drivers, administrators, ... makes the system so efficient. if this tragedy happened in the center of any other major city it wouldve been several times more catastrophic.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM

122 posts, read 190,589 times
This thread reads like one of those boring Vancouver vs. Toronto or Vancouver vs. Montreal threads. We are comparing cities with century-plus head starts over a Pacific Rim city that is only recent emergent as a true metropolis. Thus, Boston wins out for history. In 1900, Boston had a population of over a half-million people... Vancouver by comparison was a logging town of 25,000.

So yes, the institutions (museums, galleries, universities, etc) will be far better established and funded in Boston, if that's your thing. Also, Boston has such a vibrant sports scene. On the other hand, Vancouver has better practical amenities like transportation and airport.

The GDP discussion is a bit of a distraction. There are a lot of cities with high GDP where you wouldn't necessarily want to live. But I get that Boston has a more vibrant job market than Vancouver's, and that is important.

As for cultural diversity, it is different in both cities. But real diversity means that you see multiculturalism not just on the street but at work, at play, and within networks of friends and family. Which city wins out in this regard?

Geography: Never mind access to Whistler, Vancouver has three ski resorts -within- its metro limits.

Both cities are on strong trajectories, but in totally different ways, so this will be an interesting thread to revisit in 20 years. Both are fantastic places to be, but most people will self-select based on career and lifestyle preferences.

My take: Boston to visit but Vancouver to live.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Your line of reasoning could be used to say Vancouver is superior to nyc or London..sure nyc offers the most opportunity but it depends what you do... what does Vancouver score ahead of Boston on in your opinion?
I'm not saying one is "superior " over the other. Obviously Boston has higher rankings in Universities, and research hospitals etc. It's a much, much older city than Vancouver.

However where Vancouver seems to score ahead besides scenery, is the development of it's shoreline. The seawall which connects the city to beaches, parks, and various neighbourhoods is outstanding.

In this thread the OP, gave their list for us to compare.

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe

It's now all about universities and really focussing on the economy...and libraries for some reason...although I guess for some that could be considered an activity.

The OP's list seems to focus on very tangible personal things that the average citizen experiences. Not having Havard in my backyard, doesn't affect me in any way, except perhaps bragging rights.

Where Vancouver ranks higher IMO is quality of life. It's no coincidence that the city ranks high from various sources for years.

The economy of Boston is bigger, but I alway find just throwing out the word economy is too vague. What does it mean for the people living in a city with a bigger economy? What is the breakdown of who gets too participate in that economy? How is the wealth spread? However for the sake of this thread and the general meaning of economy that would go to Boston.

Nightlife....haven't been to Boston, and I'm out of the club scene now so can't comment on clubs. However there is no shortage of pubs, bars, restaurants etc. The only glaring difference on paper between Boston and Vancouver is that the drinking age here is 19.

Scenery. Vancouver blows Boston out of the water on this one.

Daytime activities and events. Totally depends on what you like to do. Not knowing Boston, I'm sure there is lots to do and things that may not be available here, so please comment, just like there will be certain daytime activities like downhill skiing that is right here in Vancouver.

Shopping/entertainment. Not a shopper, but Vancouver has no shortage of stores and chains from all over the world. Entertainment venues. I would assume since Boston CSA is larger that there would be more live theatres? A quick Google shows you have 3 stadiums? Vancouver has two main ones, right downtown, right next to each other and of course smaller ones like Nat Bailey Stadium.
People put emphasis on how many professional sport teams a city has. I've never felt that people here in Vancouver put that much emphasis on how many we have. Hockey is king. We did have an NBA team at one time and perhaps in the US it has more impact, but I never got that feeling here. Like I said, Hockey is king.
So who has more venues. I would think Boston. Does that make it better? Depends on if the person feels they aren't getting to see who they want to see, and Vancouver is pretty much on most entertainers circuit, so I've never felt that way personally.

Transportation. I haven't used Boston's system, but can only compare Vancouver to other cities I've used transit in around the US and the world, and Vancouver's system is clean, modern, and easy to use. More on par with cities like Lyon and Amsterdam IMO.

Overall vibe. Hard for me to say. Al I can say is that I prefer a west coast vibe. I prefer a city that is truly on the edge of wilderness, with amazing urban parks that don't seem urban. We also have very urban parks.
I'm more of a spring summer activity person. So for me living in Vancouver offers holiday resort like options, without having to leave the area.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-06-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City