Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times

Advertisements

OP hasn't mentioned what kind of Latino he is...could be Mexican and Houston has more of that culture.

At any rate, Houston is usually the more sensible pick over Miami when it comes to the average person. But OP situation is not average. Go to Miami. If you hate it, move to Houston after one year when your lease is up. At your age and with your income and job situation, you will hate yourself if you didnt at least give Miami a try. Miami checks all your boxes. Miami wins this one, and for this particular case, it's not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 37,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
OP hasn't mentioned what kind of Latino he is...could be Mexican and Houston has more of that culture.

At any rate, Houston is usually the more sensible pick over Miami when it comes to the average person. But OP situation is not average. Go to Miami. If you hate it, move to Houston after one year when your lease is up. At your age and with your income and job situation, you will hate yourself if you didnt at least give Miami a try. Miami checks all your boxes. Miami wins this one, and for this particular case, it's not even close.
This is exactly how I feel, I at least want to give Miami a shot first as I feel after 30 Miami won’t be the same, but Houston would. Is a car necessary for Miami if I was to to stay in one of the nicer areas mentioned like Brickell?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Is a car necessary for Miami if I was to to stay in one of the nicer areas mentioned like Brickell?
Not if you are working from home/coworking space.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:09 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
This is exactly how I feel, I at least want to give Miami a shot first as I feel after 30 Miami won’t be the same, but Houston would. Is a car necessary for Miami if I was to to stay in one of the nicer areas mentioned like Brickell?
I wouldn't live in Miami or Houston without a car...very different areas from your Bay Area

Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
You aren’t worrying about commuting, so you’re be fine. The neighborhood itself is walkable and has good mass transit access for Miami’s limited rail network. I also found rideshare services to be really useful when going out and those seemed pretty cheap and plentiful to me.

South Beach and points north in the city of Miami Beach is the most walkable part of the area, but is unfortunately not tied to the rail mass transir system.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 37,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You aren’t worrying about commuting, so you’re be fine. The neighborhood itself is walkable and has good mass transit access for Miami’s limited rail network. I also found rideshare services to be really useful when going out and those seemed pretty cheap and plentiful to me.

South Beach and points north in the city of Miami Beach is the most walkable part of the area, but is unfortunately not tied to the rail mass transir system.
In what ways does South Beach compete against Brickell, maybe some pros and cons of both.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Not if you are working from home/coworking space.
To expound on my answer...sure you would be limited in ways by not having a vehicle. To some degree this is true even in SF. But there is also plenty of carless connectivity.

With bikeshares and rideshares, Brickell to South Beach isn't too difficult. When not surging, uberpool is around $5 between the two. Metromover is useful between Brickell and Downtown...extended to Edgewater, Wynwood, etc are all pretty well connected via biking/walking. Metrorail gets you to various places around the region including the MIA airport pretty easily, and Brightline can get you quickly up to downtown Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. Tri-Rail would be the least useful of the lot but does offer more connections, including a cheap way to get to the FLL and PBI airports. Miami transit is by no means close to the top tier in the US, but it is not as awful as some might think. Probably the biggest factor is the weather, and if you are comfortable being exposed to the elements. Some people don't mind the summer heat or rain showers...and right now it's pretty perfect.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
In what ways does South Beach compete against Brickell, maybe some pros and cons of both.
I'm a young family man and live in the burbs, so my experience is not the most relevant or recent. But I think generally it goes like this:

SoBe is more vibrant at all hours of the day. It is overall a bit more expensive. More touristy.

Brickell is better connected via transit (SoBe is on an island with bridges that get clogged with traffic for a third of the day) There are more high-rises in Brickell and vicinity, if you like that kind of thing (or if you prefer to avoid it).

Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
The streets are busy with pedestrians with a mix of tourists and locals. It’s built on a grid with very short blocks and is very walkable throughout. There’s also the actual beachfront to the ocean instead of the bay and its oceanfront location and being surrounded by water means that it has a microclimate that is very moderate in regards to temperature. There is also quite a bit of nightlife.

The cons are that the area is more prone to flooding, the nightlife and tourists might get annoying in parts, the prices are generally higher for rent than in Miami proper and it’s a bit isolated given that Miami Beach (South Beach is a neighborhood of Miami Beach) is on an island.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The streets are busy with pedestrians with a mix of tourists and locals. It’s built on a grid with very short blocks and is very walkable throughout. There’s also the actual beachfront to the ocean instead of the bay and its oceanfront location and being surrounded by water means that it has a microclimate that is very moderate in regards to temperature. There is also quite a bit of nightlife.

The cons are that the area is more prone to flooding, the nightlife and tourists might get annoying in parts, the prices are generally higher for rent than in Miami proper and it’s a bit isolated given that Miami Beach (South Beach is a neighborhood of Miami Beach) is on an island.
Ppl tend to forget that Miami beach has it's micro climate independent of inland dade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City