Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 PM

13 posts, read 37,761 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A little about myself, I am about to turn 27 years old, single straight male that is mixed with latino, african american, and european. I also speak a little spanish. Most importantly I work remotely as a software engineer making a decent SWE salary. I lived in the SF Bay Area for the past 10 years and looking to move to either Miami or Houston, due to both having lower costs of living, great nightlife, hot weather, and no state income taxes. I don't care too much about being involved in the local tech scenes of either places as a factor. I have absolutely no debt, and would like to know what other people have to say about living in both areas. For Miami I have looked at living in the Downtown/Riverfront/Brickell/Coral Gables areas and for Houston the Midtown/Montrose/Greenway/Uptown areas with a rent limit around $1500 a month. To be fair I would like to know which would be the best place to spend the last years of my 20s to enjoy the women, weather, and social activities as much as possible. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Miami. Easy. Miami is the far better city for a single 20-something with disposable income. It's no question.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:35 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Mixed Latino/AA/Euro speaking a little Spanish should fit in perfectly in Miami.. I would pick Brickell, Midtown or Coconut Grove but that's just me. The rent max may eliminate most of the options but still I think you could find something.

I honestly can't compare to Houston, just saying Miami is an excellent option.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Miami has what you want, but your budget isn't high enough to live up the lifestyle you want

Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 37,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Miami has what you want, but your budget isn't high enough to live up the lifestyle you want
My budget isnt $1500.. thats only how much I’d want to spend on rent..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Brickell will be perfect for you, though I would plan on $2000+ for rent.

Will you be working from home or commuting??

Is your job safe?....if laid off, more tech jobs in the Houston and surrounding areas...if no issue, Brickell by a mile.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-15-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
I don't think you can wrong with either, but keep in mind that Houston has more young people and your dollar will go a lot further there. I suppose Miami would be less of a culture shock for someone coming from the Bay Area though.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I don't think you can wrong with either, but keep in mind that Houston has more young people and your dollar will go a lot further there. I suppose Miami would be less of a culture shock for someone coming from the Bay Area though.
Outside of both being on the coast, Miami is just as much a culture shock I would bet.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:51 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Yes, it is predominantly Latino but the OP stated he is part Latino...he will find the women dramatically better looking than SF and last call is not 2AM as it is on the West Coast—Miami clubs are expensive but Wynwood and The Wharf are other more affordable party options. ...people more direct, less easily offended. Beach/ocean he can go in without a wetsuit year round. Summers not as bad as some think IF you live near the water/bay and get a breeze. Hurricane risk likely equal in Houston and Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Outside of both being on the coast, Miami is just as much a culture shock I would bet.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:54 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The coastal factor was a big one for me. Texas cities are hardly backwaters, but the pace of life is slower for sure and Houston is just its own world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City