Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City With The Richest Black Americans
New York 26 11.61%
Atlanta 76 33.93%
Los Angeles 12 5.36%
Chicago 3 1.34%
Washington DC 84 37.50%
Miami 4 1.79%
Philadelphia 3 1.34%
Boston 4 1.79%
Houston 7 3.13%
Charlotte 5 2.23%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:28 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
NYC has more rich and upper class black people than any city on that list, definitely if we're talking metro wise which includes Long Island, Northern New Jersey, the Hudson Valley, and SW Connecticut.

After that it's DC for median income then Atlanta for sheer number of black millionaires.
SW CT black people are poor. Handful of middle class ones in Stamford Norwalk and Stratford but not a lot. HEAVILY out numbered by deep poverty in Bridgeport Waterbury and New Haven..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
SW CT black people are poor. Handful of middle class ones in Stamford Norwalk and Stratford but not a lot. HEAVILY out numbered by deep poverty in Bridgeport Waterbury and New Haven..
I've definitely heard others say the same thing about SW CT.

The NYC Metro area's largest concentration of middle-income blacks is by far in Queens and Long Island. I would say that there's far more middle class represented than poor. The hard-working Caribbean immigrants play a huge role in this too.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 AM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There aren’t middle class black people in those last 3 cities? Then there are some in Hamden and West Haven in the New Haven area, among others in that region, as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 AM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I've definitely heard others say the same thing about SW CT.

The NYC Metro area's largest concentration of middle-income blacks is by far in Queens and Long Island. I would say that there's far more middle class represented than poor. The hard-working Caribbean immigrants play a huge role in this too.
There are smaller concentrations in parts of Brooklyn and NE Bronx in the city, with some in northern Mount Vernon over into east/NE New Rochelle; northern Teaneck/western Englewood, Maplewood/South Orange/West Orange and a few other smaller concentrations in NE NJ. There are other smaller concentrations in the area as well. A thread about this: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...unities-7.html

Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/sta...ca-report-2017

List of metros with the least income inequality between black and white people from the source above.

Atlanta #10
Miami #15
DC #18
CLT #27
LA #38
NYC # 43
Detroit #50
Boston #53
Philly #55
Houston #57
Chicago #67

(These include all metros but of the larger metros, ATL was #2, MIA#3, DC#4, CLT#7, DAL#8, LA#9)

Old 02-02-2019, 11:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I would guess Charlotte or Atlanta or Houston.

I think I read Washington is the city where African Americans earn the most, but based on personal experience I feel like that the communities in CLT and ATL are thriving more. I feel like the middle class is more robust. Etc.
Charlotte? Nah...it doesn't have the numbers. And DC's middle/upper middle class is most certainly thriving--more than Charlotte's and a wee bit more than Atlanta's (adjusting for COL).

Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Black people generally seem to do the best in suburban settings; especially ones where they're integrated with whites.

If you ever search up the most thriving black communities then they're either in the suburbs or on the edges of a major city (where its practically suburban). I can't think of one dense city-like black area in the US that is affluent. Something about high-density seems to make black folks go bonkers..

Of course there are thriving blacks that live deep within cities but when you get too many blacks packed in too close together then it usually ends in disaster And becomes a very toxic environment.

Honestly, I don't know the reason why. Maybe because in Africa, we were mostly in villages and small populations so we're kinda hardwired to collectively function better in less-populated settings? Even when you look at the black countries around the world with the best standard of livings (HDI) and that are the most peaceful; they are mostly less-densely populated areas (ex: Barbados, Bahamas, Botswana, Gabon, etc).

Maybe I'm the biggest ignoramus around but this is just what I noticed with both my own experiences and analyzing census data in the past. Please somebody prove me wrong if they disagree.
Good Lord, you've really gone off the deep end on this when simple history helps explain this. When were the Fair Housing, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, etc Acts, affirmative action, etc. signed into law and what was the housing market/landscape like?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte? Nah...it doesn't have the numbers. And DC's middle/upper middle class is most certainly thriving--more than Charlotte's and a wee bit more than Atlanta's (adjusting for COL).

I accidentally thought the thread was about overall population and not just the richest black individuals.

In which case, I would say NYC.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:20 AM

242 posts, read 174,004 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bet...eview.amp.html

Los Angeles and the D.C area has the richest Black neighborhoods in America

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think the median household income is a better indicator of the overall well-being of a population group than the number of millionaires. The Washington DC metro tends to be statistically about the best off for black Americans - and likely for Asian, Hispanic and white Americans as well. Government and supporting industries tend to be relatively recession proof (ignoring the dysfunction of early 2019).

On the other hand, the DC area's high cost of living offsets this advantage, and wealthy, prominent celebrities from the media and entertainment sectors tend to live elsewhere - particularly the top three places on the poll. But often such high profile individuals get a lot more attention than far larger numbers of people who have made a solid fortune in less glamorous lines of work.
True. I haven’t looked at the data recently but last I saw DC has the highest concentration of AA making over $100,000. I thinks Atlanta was #8 or #9? But you can’t talk about DC without mentioning the CoL.

I think Atlanta has a strong Black middle class, I’m not sure about affluence but I can’t speak fully on it because I haven’t looked at all the data. However, I do know DC has a high population of affluent AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City