Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times

Advertisements

I would vote Pittsburgh (bias, I lived there), Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Louisville, then Indy.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
You were robbed? Twice? What time of the day did this happen?

btw Thanks to everyone who's replied. I went to Pittsburgh last weekend and it was amazing, I plan on going back some time later this year. I want to make it out to one of the other cities in the next few weeks, wherever I find the cheapest lodging for the weekend will dictate where I end up first.
Both times in the evening during Fall Semester. During the time I was a student there was a gang of juveniles on bicycles robbing people. Police were less than helpful. Cleveland is a dangerous city and I have no desire to live there after my time at CSU.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
100 miles is pretty insane most people live 99% of their lives with 25-30 miles of their residence.

You aren’t about to drive from Louisville to Cincinnati for dinner.
Honestly I live 90% of my life in the same 3 miles from my house.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
100 miles is pretty insane most people live 99% of their lives with 25-30 miles of their residence.

You aren’t about to drive from Louisville to Cincinnati for dinner.
You can't speak for what other people do or don't do. I frequent the Lower Ohio valley several times throughout the year. I spend the day touring Louisville or its suburbs and then drive to eat dinner in Cincinnati (no shade intended to Louisville restaurants). Some individuals in other regions, such as the Northeast, for example, spend 2 hours on trains everyday to get to work. While not the majority, it is not unheard of.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:23 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Both times in the evening during Fall Semester. During the time I was a student there was a gang of juveniles on bicycles robbing people. Police were less than helpful. Cleveland is a dangerous city and I have no desire to live there after my time at CSU.
Cleveland's no more or less dangerous than any other major American city.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Cleveland's no more or less dangerous than any other major American city.
Depending on where you are. Certainly where I grew up in the heights is safer than where I live now in boston. But to be fair, csu 10 years ago was considerably worse than today. I remember going to peabody's a lot back then and it was definitely sketchy.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You can't speak for what other people do or don't do. I frequent the Lower Ohio valley several times throughout the year. I spend the day touring Louisville or its suburbs and then drive to eat dinner in Cincinnati (no shade intended to Louisville restaurants). Some individuals in other regions, such as the Northeast, for example, spend 2 hours on trains everyday to get to work. While not the majority, it is not unheard of.
That’s why I said most. I don’t think the median commute in any major metro is over 25 miles for example.

Except for a rare couple of people what’s 100 miles away is rather academic. Yes weekend day trip ranges are in the 120 mile range but I think it’s wrong to compare how big a city is based on a 100 mile radius because the day to day life of 99% of the population of Cincinnati contributes nothing to the vibrancy of Louisville.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
That’s why I said most. I don’t think the median commute in any major metro is over 25 miles for example.

Except for a rare couple of people what’s 100 miles away is rather academic. Yes weekend day trip ranges are in the 120 mile range but I think it’s wrong to compare how big a city is based on a 100 mile radius because the day to day life of 99% of the population of Cincinnati contributes nothing to the vibrancy of Louisville.
Yes but my point is there is the SAME population in a 100 mile metro radius of Louisville metro as there is CLE. The amenities are the SAME (in a 100 mile radius).

It's all about how an area lives. The Ohio River valley has a much brighter future than NE Ohio. That's as plain as day and why Louisville receives more net in migration from NE Ohio than any other region.

City vs city, does CLE feel like a bigger city than Louisville? Sure...no one is arguing that Cleveland is larger. What I am arguing is the difference day to day isn't as substantial as many would want to believe. I don't go to CLE and say "man I am in a big city." And I still argue Louisville and Columbus are much more exciting and dynamic to a young person...more "college town like," more compact walkable areas, more restaurants, festivals, and live music opportunities. Even Indianapolis to me is probably more livable than CLE to the average Joe. Now pwersonally I prefer CLE and DET over Indy but as can be seen by growth, the average person prefers Indy to CLE.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Totally agree...you are one of the only ones posting here who has spent any significant recent time in Louisville to speak and you know what you are talking about.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:56 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Several times throughout the year is nice, but that is pretty minimal. You’re talking about what, maybe 2% of the year if you spend a grand total of a week there?

2 hours on trains everyday to get to work every weekday on the other hand is an actual real and constant engagement with an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City