Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:59 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
You were robbed? Twice? What time of the day did this happen?

btw Thanks to everyone who's replied. I went to Pittsburgh last weekend and it was amazing, I plan on going back some time later this year. I want to make it out to one of the other cities in the next few weeks, wherever I find the cheapest lodging for the weekend will dictate where I end up first.
Glad you liked Pittsburgh! It’s a fantastic city all and all with really distinct neighborhoods. All the cities you’ve listed are worth a weekend at least.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Several times throughout the year is nice, but that is pretty minimal. You’re talking about what, maybe 2% of the year if you spend a grand total of a week there?
My family lives in Cincinnati. You would know that if you read my previous posts about how I grew up. I know the area very well.

Quote:
2 hours on trains everyday to get to work every weekday on the other hand is an actual real and constant engagement with an area.
Yes, believe it or not, some people don't have the luxury of living close their jobs.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
My family lives in Cincinnati. You would know that if you read my previous posts about how I grew up. I know the area very well.

Yes, believe it or not, some people don't have the luxury of living close their jobs.
Amen....I have moved all over for my job but chose and found Louisville as a home base and I have found an amazing gem in this city. I seem to always come back as much as I enjoy other cities. I must say I have a soft spot for every city in this list, yes even Indy and Detroit which both get an unfair shake on CD. Indy is making great strides outside the mile square downtown. It still cannot compete with neighborhoods in Louisville, Pittsburgh, and the Ohio cities, but it is catching up. And frankly Indy has the superior downtown of all of them for a tourist.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:00 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:

You know once you get outside of the CSA less than 1/7th of the population commmuted to the center county(s)

It’s just true that if a county is outside the CSA it adds very little to the vibrancy of the city itself. There are day Trips and stuff that adds to the QOL but having Cincinnati 100 miles away does not make Louisville feel bigger.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You know once you get outside of the CSA less than 1/7th of the population commmuted to the center county(s)
This means nothing since you have not provided any facts or made any points.

Quote:
It’s just true that if a county is outside the CSA it adds very little to the vibrancy of the city itself. There are day Trips and stuff that adds to the QOL but having Cincinnati 100 miles away does not make Louisville feel bigger.
Noone said or ever implied adding Cincinnati to make Louisville feel bigger. I and another poster poked holes in the argument that no one would drive to other cities in the region for leisure, which is simply not true.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:

Noone said or ever implied adding Cincinnati to make Louisville feel bigger. I and another poster poked holes in the argument that no one would drive to other cities in the region for leisure, which is simply not true.
I didn’t say that. I said that 100 miles is a horrible estimation of the size of the city because 99% of people spend almost all of their time much closer to home than that.

Peter uses the 100 mile radius to prove Cleveland and Louisville were similar in size when that is grossly misleading because the vast majority of the population in Louisville’s case is in the outside of the range not on the inner 50 miles which contribute to the vast majority of man hours spent in a city.

Like Hartford CT has a much higher 100 mile radius population than Denver but is the much smaller city because most of those people live in the 80-100 not 0-20 mile part of the radius.

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-08-2019 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I didn’t say that. I said that 100 miles is a horrible estimation of the size of the city because 99% of people spend almost all of their time much closer to home than that.
Again, you have no evidence that 99% of people spend all of their time much closer than that. You are making it up to fit your narrative.

Quote:
Peter uses the 100 mile radius to prove Cleveland and Louisville were similar in size when that is grossly misleading because the vast majority of the population in Louisville’s case is in the outside of the range not on the inner 50 miles which contribute to the vast majority of man hours spent in a city.
What is misleading is to consider Cleveland not to be a midsize city like Louisville. I'll give you Cleveland is in a different tier, but let's not act like it blows Louisville out. They are both midsize cities. One is growing decently, and the other is not.

Quote:
Like Hartford CT has a much higher 100 mile radius population than Denver but is the much smaller city because most of those people live in the 80-100 not 0-20 mile part of the radius.
Louisville is not Hartford and Cleveland is not Denver.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Who was saying that no one would drive to other cities in the region for leisure?

Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Again, you have no evidence that 99% of people spend all of their time much closer than that. You are making it up to fit your narrative.

What is misleading is to consider Cleveland not to be a midsize city like Louisville. I'll give you Cleveland is in a different tier, but let's not act like it blows Louisville out. They are both midsize cities. One is growing decently, and the other is not.

Louisville is not Hartford and Cleveland is not Denver.
AMEN. Case closed. CLE has to quit comparing itself to bigger cities. I'd argue CLE is much more similar to Louisville than Detroit and that's not a bad thing. For one, they are way closer in metro size and they feel that way too. I spend SIGNIFICANT time in CLE visiting in laws and for work. I know what I am talking about unlike posters claiming Louisville is a good place to go for bluegrass music. That comment is absolutely comical because there's not a single place in the urban core with live bluegrass nightly. I think Merle's may have it on occasion.

What we have is people from OH stereotyping an area they have never been. Make a visit down and get into the Louisville neighborhoods and you will be absolutely floored. I was many years ago and continue to be, and that's why Louisville continues to grow particularly with massive amounts of construction compared to NE OH.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
AMEN. Case closed. CLE has to quit comparing itself to bigger cities. I'd argue CLE is much more similar to Louisville than Detroit and that's not a bad thing. For one, they are way closer in metro size and they feel that way too. I spend SIGNIFICANT time in CLE visiting in laws and for work. I know what I am talking about unlike posters claiming Louisville is a good place to go for bluegrass music. That comment is absolutely comical because there's not a single place in the urban core with live bluegrass nightly. I think Merle's may have it on occasion.

What we have is people from OH stereotyping an area they have never been. Make a visit down and get into the Louisville neighborhoods and you will be absolutely floored. I was many years ago and continue to be, and that's why Louisville continues to grow particularly with massive amounts of construction compared to NE OH.
I think the caveat there was "almost all" and not all. What "almost all" means can mean a lot of different things, but at least a simple majority, no?

I'm not from Ohio, but I did visit Louisville a couple years ago and thought it was great. I think it's accurate to assume that most people in any city spend the majority of their time within something like a fifty mile radius (and likely far shorter for most) which is a lot smaller area than a hundred mile radius. Probably the only major exception to this are smaller cities and exurbs just outside of that radius for LA, the Bay Area, and NYC where there's probably a large number though likely still not majority of people who have have commutes that take them more than 50 miles away on weekdays. That's unlikely to be a majority of the people in that area even then.

I think it's accurate to say that having Cincinnati 100 miles away from Louisville doesn't contribute that much to Louisville's vibrancy, though it'll certainly contribute some. It'd probably contribute a whole lot more if there was actually some daily train service between the two. A twice a day both ways Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati-Louisville service would probably do really well.

Anyhow, sounds like the OP is into visiting them all which is a good choice. Maybe one thing is to ask the OP what they're into and then figure out where and what in each city can make up a good weekend itinerary.

I think an interesting side trip or part of a Detroit trip is to cross the border into Windsor in Canada.

For smaller cities, though I've never been, I wonder what Toledo, Dayton, Akron, and Youngstown in Ohio have as well as Charleston, WV and Lexington, KY. Those are all in roughly the radius that the OP's willing to drive.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-10-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City