Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities should have taller towers due to population?
Jacksonville, FL 23 14.65%
Tampa 13 8.28%
Orlando 28 17.83%
Memphis 13 8.28%
Greenville, SC 11 7.01%
Raleigh, NC 22 14.01%
Cleveland 8 5.10%
Indianapolis 11 7.01%
San Jose 50 31.85%
San Diego 14 8.92%
Phoenix 82 52.23%
San Antonio 31 19.75%
Las Vegas 11 7.01%
Baltimore 16 10.19%
Detroit 13 8.28%
Norfolk, VA 12 7.64%
St Louis 14 8.92%
Milwaukee 5 3.18%
San Francisco 11 7.01%
El Paso 14 8.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Which is why I specified "the city itself" ,which unfortunately, as you should know, is what every American who doesn't use City Data thinks is most important. You say bigger city, they immediately think a bigger skyline. So far from the truth. "bigger city" to most people means "more like New York City" lol.
I doubt "most people."

Also it works differently in the business world. A downtown serves the whole area, not just the people inside an arbitrary line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Milwaukee. For such a largw city IT BARELY has a skyline. I found this out last week and I was SHOCKED.
What I like about Milwaukee's skyline, is that it's growing. Secondly, it goes north of downtown...almost coastal-like, with condos and apartments overlooking Lake Michigan. Actually, that is quite stunning. AND, Milwaukee skyline is pretty much on Lake Michigan, which is pretty cool, as well. SO, there's that. For a city population of half a million, it's not bad.

North of downtown...condos all overlooking Lake Michigan.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0567.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Milwaukee. For such a largw city IT BARELY has a skyline. I found this out last week and I was SHOCKED.
I've never been to Milwaukee so I don't know the vantage points from where the skyline is most often viewed, but this doesn't look "barely a skyline" to me.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've never been to Milwaukee so I don't know the vantage points from where the skyline is most often viewed, but this doesn't look "barely a skyline" to me.
It looks like a very appropriate skyline for a metro of 1.5M.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Not only that, but like Chicago, the skyline is right on Lake Michigan...not a lot of Midwest cities can claim that. Also, a river runs right through downtown Milwaukee...just like Chicago. These buildings on the river might not add a lot to the skyline, but they sure add a lot to the city.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=969

Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I agree and have been to Milwaukee. The skyline is good based on the population. It is a nice view if you have ever toured using the Milwaukee Boat Line. Milwaukee also has great density in the core which adds to the downtown.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Milwaukee also has a very consistent density of 4-6 story buildings throughout its core. It is very solid midrise density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'll defer to you on this point, but practically every sizable metropolitan area has a jobs-rich suburban area like that. It doesn't seem like Jacksonville is any worse than most of the others here.

I knew there was another smaller cluster of towers on the northbank somewhere but was too lazy to look it up lol. There's also a skyline I came across years ago that views it from the west I believe and shows off the breadth of the city's total skyline. But here are some I just ran across and it helps sometimes if you Google panorama instead of skyline.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...n-holiday.html
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Panorama.JPG

I especially like the first one. I had to actually enlarge it to make sure it was really Jacksonville.

What I've discovered about waterfront cities in particular is that their tallest towers tend to be closest to the water but the "backside" hides a good amount of density.
Yes you have a valid point. I think Jax suffers a bit more than the norm (most places don't have one single suburban area that matches or has surpassed the employment numbers of downtown, which is what has happened in Jax depending on whose numbers you rely on) but often times it is used as a far greater excuse than it should be.

As for those photos, thanks for sharing. Definitely some cool shots and new vantage points that I have not seen before!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
I think most Sunbelt cities have seen their share of office parks that in a different decade would have been downtown. Downtown Raleigh/Durham are only the 5th and 8th respectively largest submarkets for existing office inventory in the Triangle for instance. Downtown Atlanta is the 4th largest in their metro. They are the norm for places that experienced excessive growth after the rise of cars and Americans love affair with culdesacs. Building in a centralized downtown became a sometimes thing rather than a must.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think most Sunbelt cities have seen their share of office parks that in a different decade would have been downtown. Downtown Raleigh/Durham are only the 5th and 8th respectively largest submarkets for existing office inventory in the Triangle for instance. Downtown Atlanta is the 4th largest in their metro. They are the norm for places that experienced excessive growth after the rise of cars and Americans love affair with culdesacs. Building in a centralized downtown became a sometimes thing rather than a must.
What's number 1 for Atlanta? Midtown?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Using Collier’s, they say the three biggest submarkets for Atlanta are in the suburbs: Central Perimeter, North Fulton (Alpharetta), and Northwest Atlanta (Marietta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City