Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 03:08 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times

Advertisements

NYC has socioeconomic AND ethnic diversity, so they have experienced different groups under various circumstances. Some of the cities named here have problems with classism. It all goes back to the same source, but NYC attracts lots of people for many reasons. One of them is the absence of pressure to fit in. If the pressure's there, it's probably internal or circumstantial (vs. being endemic to the culture).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
NYC has socioeconomic AND ethnic diversity, so they have experienced different groups under various circumstances. Some of the cities named here have problems with classism. It all goes back to the same source, but NYC attracts lots of people for many reasons. One of them is the absence of pressure to fit in. If the pressure's there, it's probably internal or circumstantial (vs. being endemic to the culture).
What of these cities doesn't have socioeconomic diversity? Especially within the black community. We always have a lot of socioeconomic diversity.

I know NYC attracts a lot of people for different reasons are you talking socioeconomic diveristy in the whole city's population or just black people?

Old 07-11-2022, 03:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
I don't think NYC is exempt from this, but some one those places...the "diversity" isn't natural. It comes off as contrived and planned. IMO, how local react to non-locals says a lot about what they're used to.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I can’t speak about Boston but I know what I’m talking about in regards to Minneapolis because I grew up next door in Wisconsin and I have close family in Minneapolis. Minneapolis may have some African restaurants and cultural events but it pales in comparison to African cultural amenities in Atlanta —- despite Minneapolis’ numbers.

But again, this thread isn’t about culture…
I definitely disagree with this. What cultural offerings does ATL have that Mpls doesn't regarding Africans? I didn't even know that ATL had decent African numbers until fairly recently because the city's culture is almost strictly African American. I never got an African vibe while in ATL at all. The Africans in the Twin Cities live in some of the more urban and walkable neighborhoods so its much easier to see the African influence in Mpls than ATL. You have developments like this:
https://thedevelopmenttracker.com/mp...or-karmel-mall (I used to live a block from here on the same street.) which displays the upward mobility and influence of Africans in Minneapolis.

Here's another shopping mall that caters primarily to Somalis and other Africans: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NbTLJsZKMSVzaun66 (I used to live across the street from here too).

There are even housing projects that are primarily African: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jp4xx8YrT36hbJWf8

Last edited by Kaszilla; 07-11-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-11-2022, 11:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1.but you can find sizable concentrations black Americans all over the country from Washington State to Florida from Massachusetts to Arizona to Nebraska from Virginia to Minnesota to Nevada..
Besides Florida and Virginia non of states you mention have a "sizable concentrations black Americans" they have small black population. Which is part of my point. Black Americans we only 12% of the US, which in itself is small percentage, but population is not equally distribute. There places with signifiant Black populations there even swaths of the country with very tiny to non existing black population.

You talking places that are less than 7 to 4% Black, with entire states less than 500k black from 7 million or even 90k black from 2 million.

Dude There are only about 20 major cities with sizable black population. then there some rural majority counties in South. Then there about another dozens or so cities with Small Black population.

It pretty understood what cities and places have significant Hispanic and Asian population. But again I notice especially in very love city data Northern and Western is not accepted the fact some lack or do not appeal to Black people much. So they try create some flaw logic to undermine the African American population. As if 1. African American this one group 2. they count in diversity, 3 It's everywhere so doesn't blank has little and this place has

Quote:
2. Is the single most ridiculous point ive heard on this thread. Yea I'm a mix of a lot of different African ancestries. We all are- you and I have no idea what those ancestries are.

African Americans are an established ethnic group. One ethnic group, it is what it is. The question you're trying to answer is which city has the most black people- which would be Atlanta. But that's not what was asked in the thread.
African American is not ethnic group it's racial/Nationality term. It's a umbrella term for broad number of African groups that came to US. It doesn't matter if you know what you are because your still mix with what you are and if you want you could get a DNA test. And it's also well document which African ethnic groups came to US the most, I just listed a few.

In fact not only did slaves came directly came from Africa, but there was also exchange between the US and Caribbean. So the first generation of "Afro Caribbean" is already under the umbrella of "African American". Georgia, Florida, and Carolinas have connection with English Caribbean, Louisiana and other parts of gulf has a connection with French and Spanish Caribbean. Why think there Haitian Vadou and Louisiana voodoo.

But the point is White people, Asian etc are not viewed as monolithic ancestral Block. but Black American particlar are clump together. Just as white Americans are Irish, Italian, German etc Black Americans Yoruba, Mande, Fulani etc. but because American don't know there ancestry it's broadly umbrella African American.

What your doing is talking that monolithic view of African American ancestry further. Now a place like Atlanta over 2 million Blacks. Your discounting the diversity of that 2 million by making one group. You then basically subtracting the African American population going it doesn't count. So now Atlanta black population so how work against it self. Then you talk about Boston a place with less than 400k Black people. Very small for a metro it's size nearly 5 million. But since you discredit Atlanta over 2 million Black than Makes Boston more diverse because they have a little more West Indians. And you don't see how this is logically flawed?

Old 07-12-2022, 12:22 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Okay

Old 07-12-2022, 05:40 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
African Americans (multigenerational black Americans generally descended from enslaved Africans brought t the US before the U.S. Civil War) are a specific ethnic group and it is always mind boggling to me when people, who often are themselves ethnically African American, state otherwise. * of course some people/government agencies will use the term "African American" to refer to all black Americans regardless of origin but I think most people can tell based on context what someone means when they say African American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sure I can roll with that, you'd know better than me. I don't know what goes on in those households behind closed doors. The education and perspective does seem like a big differentiator.
Personally I think disproportionately more Black Americans of Caribbean/African descent in higher education is the biggest factor. In addition, this country's biggest media and political centers tend to have diversifying black populations, e.g. NYC, LA, DC, etc. as AAs move south/to suburbs and black immigration increases.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:54 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
i find it weird when african-americans say things like slavery took their culture away from them and they dont have any real heritage.

since slave trade, african-americans have influenced a lot in food, music, inventions out of necessity, vernacular, art, ... one of the most emulated heritages in the world.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Black Americans, FBA, ADOS, etc are a separate ethnicity from the African tribes they descend from. Carribeans have also developed their own identities, culture, and ethnicities since the slave trade.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:32 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
African Americans (multigenerational black Americans generally descended from enslaved Africans brought t the US before the U.S. Civil War) are a specific ethnic group and it is always mind boggling to me when people, who often are themselves ethnically African American, state otherwise. * of course some people/government agencies will use the term "African American" to refer to all black Americans regardless of origin but I think most people can tell based on context what someone means when they say African American.

Personally I think disproportionately more Black Americans of Caribbean/African descent in higher education is the biggest factor. In addition, this country's biggest media and political centers tend to have diversifying black populations, e.g. NYC, LA, DC, etc. as AAs move south/to suburbs and black immigration increases.
African American is not ethnic group it's a racial/nationality label it was created after the 70s specifics the for that purpose. If anything it's more government term itself.

African Americans who ancestry came during slavery. As I stated before come broad number of African ethnic groups, Fulani, Ashanti, Yoruba, igbo, Mande, Wolof etc etc etc etc. Depending on port which slaves came in, and colonial rulers French, Spanish, British etc effect which slaves were brought in. Not just from Africa but exchange from Caribbean. So technically most of the earliest "afro Caribbean" coming into us just blend in with African American population for first two hundred or so years. W. E. B. Du Bois ancestors were slaves in Haiti and Bahamas so is he not African American?

For example of slave holders fled after the Haitian revolution and went to Louisiana and the gulf coast. The low British Colonies associated heavily with the English Caribbean. So a lot of early Carolinas slaves came from Caribbean. Similar to Florida. So on the contrary it's actually only a very recent thing to distant between blacks who ancestors are who were slaves in Caribbean vs The US mainland because most of the US history Afro Caribbeans mix with in the general African American population.

----

but all of this connecting to a larger point I was making, You think "multigenerational black Americans generally descended from enslaved Africans brought the US before the U.S. Civil War" was the same in Louisiana as Virginia?........................... No, largely different African populations brought, Different historical colonial influence etc. It might as well been a Black Jamaican meeting a Black Bahamian.

And I get the simplification of going African American and Afro Caribbean I'm not arguing against that is not my point, my point is using those simplification to go Boston with less 400K blacks out of nearly 5 million people is more diverse with in the scope of Blackness to Atlanta which has more than 2 million blacks by simplifying and disregarding the African American population. And the irony is ATL is actually top 5 in African and Afro Caribbean immigration so his whole base of argument was using African American as a diversity cancelation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City