Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 04:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The foreign black population in these cities are much more visible than they are in ATL.
Black people in general aren't visible enough in those cities in to even point that out is my point. They are 5 to 9% Black. Both the population and percentage is small. They 3 to 4 million but have similar black population to comparable to Jacksonville. I'm not even sure they are top 20 in Black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 04:41 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
For prospective Boston, MPLS and SEA black populations are significantly both closer to percentage and population wise to Honolulu than they are to Metro Atlanta. heck Chicago, DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Philly etc etc etc. for that matter

Again Boston, MPLS and SEA 3x to 4x larger but have the Black population size of Jacksonville and Raleigh. No Atlantans aren't "dense" just the comparison and ideal calling them of Black as "lol" thing.
It’s also worth noting that Seattle metro includes Tacoma, which is its own city. The two cities just happen to be close together; think DC and Baltimore.

Tacoma, Lakewood, and University Place together have around 45,000 Black residents. It’s a bit misleading to include this within Seattle’s Black population. So in reality, Seattle’s Black population will be lower than its metro number would suggest.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
We are talking about diversity of the black population. I don’t get what you don’t get. By the definition of the word diversity this isn’t that debatable.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
It’s also worth noting that Seattle metro includes Tacoma, which is its own city. The two cities just happen to be close together; think DC and Baltimore.

Tacoma, Lakewood, and University Place together have around 45,000 Black residents. It’s a bit misleading to include this within Seattle’s Black population. So in reality, Seattle’s Black population will be lower than its metro number would suggest.
I think we all associate Tacoma with Seattle. It’s the same state, same body of water.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
I would say New York by a longshot but also shout out to Miami, with its Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latino populations as well as mixed race black/white Latinos, all mixed with old school Southern black population.

Also Minneapolis with its heavy East African presence, a slightly smaller (but still more notable than Miami's) West African presence, mixed with general African-American, primarily Midwestern population.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I would say New York by a longshot
Isn’t Boston’s black breakdown pretty similar to NYC’s?

Old 10-11-2022, 05:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Black people in general aren't visible enough in those cities in to even point that out is my point. They are 5 to 9% Black. Both the population and percentage is small. They 3 to 4 million but have similar black population to comparable to Jacksonville. I'm not even sure they are top 20 in Black population.
Even without including the entire metro, these core cities have a more visible foreign born black population than ATL. Go to Mpls and tell me the foreign born black population isn't way more visible than in ATL.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think we all associate Tacoma with Seattle. It’s the same state, same body of water.
They share a lot of things, but they are still separate cities. Similar dynamics to DC and Baltimore.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
They share a lot of things, but they are still separate cities. Similar dynamics to DC and Baltimore.
Are they as different as DC- Baltimore though? Like history, demographics, architecture, media market-wise?

I see Tacoma- Seattle very being even closer than Boston-Providence, which I view as closer than Bmore- DC. But really all that matters in this context is if they're equally diverse? Like without Tacoma does Seattle lose black diversity?

Old 10-11-2022, 06:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We are talking about diversity of the black population. I don’t get what you don’t get. By the definition of the word diversity this isn’t that debatable.
It's not that he doesn't get it.
Sounds like he got it to me.
But he is saying what good is diversity of subgroup if the main group is so small to begin with.

Picture it, Sicily, 1922... where I'm I going with that one.

Picture it, you and your sister are coming home with pumpkins full of Halloween candy.

You made sure you got a range full of M&Ms (peanut, pretzel, toffee, milk chocolate...) but m&ms make up about 10% of your pumpkin.

Your sister made sure she got one of each also, but she just loves the pretzel m&ms so she made sure that almost half of the bucket is pretzel M&Ms with a good sprinkling of peanut and caramel.

In this scenario you can draw 3 conclusions.
Both buckets are equally diverse because all m&ms groups are represented in both pumpkins.

Your bucket is more diverse because among your M&M stash the varieties are equal.

The third scenario is that in your bucket you have to dig so darn to find a bag of M&Ms to begin with that the diversity of yours might not be apparent enough to matter. You pull out 10 candies from each bucket the chance of getting two different bags of M&Ms from yours is actually smaller than your sister's making it in effect less diverse than hers.

Its basically his point. There is no shortage of black diversity in Atlanta even though most of the population is African American, the population of foreign blacks are sizeable enough that they are everywhere.

In cities with small black populations, many countries being represented in the black population makes a good statistic but because they are so small to begin with that the chances of running into one is effectively smaller.

Just because you are correct on your facts doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. His point is very valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City