Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 12:08 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
According to 1-year 2019 ACS estimate (Black alone or in combo, MSA):

Washington DC
1.7M Blacks
15.2% Foreign born(262k)
7.1% Mixed Race
2.8% Hispanic Blacks (48.5k)
74.8 % of Black Immigrants from Africa
23.2 % of Black Immigrants from the Caribbean

Houston
1.3M Blacks
10.0% Foreign Born (131k)
6.5% Mixed Race
2.9% Hispanic Blacks (38k)
73.7% of Black Immigrants from Africa
25.2% of Black Immigrants from the Caribbean
late but interesting that DC and Houston have very similar breakdowns proportion wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 12:47 PM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Diverse in terms of racial admixture, I'd have to go with Honolulu, Seattle/Tacoma and Minneapolis. Go walk around Tacoma and you'll see more biracial white/black kids than full white or full black kids. Honolulu also has a huge black population with asian/pacific islander admixture.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Diverse in terms of racial admixture, I'd have to go with Honolulu, Seattle/Tacoma and Minneapolis. Go walk around Tacoma and you'll see more biracial white/black kids than full white or full black kids. Honolulu also has a huge black population with asian/pacific islander admixture.
Yes, those areas have the most racial mixing but technically Providence and Boston have more racial admixture due to the Cape Verdean. A higher % of black there's come in as mixed race- objectively.

But in reality, and practically, I agree with you about MPLS and SEA. I have notice it. Cape Verdeans aren't really "mixed race" like that in terms of recent racial mixture.

And does Honolulu really have a huge black poulation? lol.

I wonder how Anchorage fairs here.. Ill take a look in a moment..

Old 10-11-2022, 02:09 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
I guess it depends what you consider mixed race. Most African Americans have admixture of various degrees and so do East Africans. West Africans are generally the most "pure".

Old 10-11-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I guess it depends what you consider mixed race. Most African Americans have admixture of various degrees and so do East Africans. West Africans are generally the most "pure".
I'm considering mixed race as people with at least one half-black parent.

Recent notable admixture between someone who identifies as black or half-black and someone of another racial group.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm considering mixed race as people with at least one half-black parent.

Recent notable admixture between someone who identifies as black or half-black and someone of another racial group.
That's pretty generous. I think most people with only a half black parent wouldn't identify as being black or even half black. But they're technically mixed.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
That's pretty generous. I think most people with only a half black parent wouldn't identify as being black or even half black. But they're technically mixed.
Yea its generous idk what they identify with but I'm just casting a broad net.

I'm sure they identify as mixed idk about black, those are the types to tell you about their black grandparent. I'm thinking of the like Jhene Aikos/Mila Js of the world. But what's more critical is the recent admixture.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
That number is tiny FOR THE SIZE OF ITS BLACK POPULATION. This is to say nothign of the fact that it is bottom for mixed race blacks and next to bottom for black Hispanics. It's also % foreign-born. Bottom line It's like having a billion Chinese and calling 2M non-Chinese 'diversity'. I refuse to believe people in Atlanta are this dense. Too many good schools...while its foreign-born black population may be diverse. Its black population at large is not, in fact, its below the national average for foreign-born blacks.

It's obliterated by both smaller more diverse communities and larger more diverse communities.
Speaking of Tiny

If a place doesn't have half a million blacks or at least 12% black, it's tiny.

Minneapolis 333,171 - 9.0%
Seattle 239,282 - 5.9%
Boston: 339,635 - 6.9%

Atlanta 2,019,208 - 33.1%

Do you realize Minneapolis, Seattle, Boston black population are in similar tier as Jacksonville, Raleigh etc even though they are 3 to 4 times there size? Houston and DC fine but Seattle, Boston etc really dude they don't have enough Black people to even in conversation with Atlanta. It's like Comparing Salt Lake City Latino population to LA. There such a scale difference the comparison itself bad.

Second off I brought this up before,............. Your argument isn't so much diversity of Blacks, because actual African ancestry is being ignored. It's more like let ignore 90% of the black population and who has the highest percent of that less than 10% ............. Since your from Boston.... Massachusetts is Irish 20%,Italian 12%, English 9.20%, French 5.90%, German 5.67%. These people are not actually from these countries they are stating there ancestries. So if the white population is broken down why are you viewing the Black people as this one ancestral group. The African American population is already a black mix population.

Most Blacks unlike white Americans can't actually state there ancestry, but ancestry is actually just as diverse if not more than your average white American. So you end with a large pop of people label broadly African American. The flaw comes your using this broad ancestral group that like 90% of Black American as this monolithic group and then using that to represent as a negative to diversity. So diversity comes as places are less African American.

Atlanta has significant more people of different African ancestry but using your logic we going to just ignored this. Make them one group, and because this monolithic group were pretending isn't mix makes the overwhelm majority. We going to argue places like Boston, Seattle and Minneapolis that have less than 3x times the population is more diverse.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Speaking of Tiny

If a place doesn't have half a million blacks or at least 12% black, it's tiny.

Minneapolis 333,171 - 9.0%
Seattle 239,282 - 5.9%
Boston: 339,635 - 6.9%

Atlanta 2,019,208 - 33.1%

Do you realize Minneapolis, Seattle, Boston black population are in similar tier as Jacksonville, Raleigh etc even though they are 3 to 4 times there size? Houston and DC fine but Seattle, Boston etc really dude they don't have enough Black people to even in conversation with Atlanta. It's like Comparing Salt Lake City Latino population to LA. There such a scale difference the comparison itself bad.

Second off I brought this up before,............. Your argument isn't so much diversity of Blacks, because actual African ancestry is being ignored. It's more like let ignore 90% of the black population and who has the highest percent of that less than 10% ............. Since your from Boston.... Massachusetts is Irish 20%,Italian 12%, English 9.20%, French 5.90%, German 5.67%. These people are not actually from these countries they are stating there ancestries. So if the white population is broken down why are you viewing the Black people as this one ancestral group. The African American population is already a black mix population.

Most Blacks unlike white Americans can't actually state there ancestry, but ancestry is actually just as diverse if not more than your average white American. So you end with a large pop of people label broadly African American. The flaw comes your using this broad ancestral group that like 90% of Black American as this monolithic group and then using that to represent as a negative to diversity. So diversity comes as places are less African American.

Atlanta has significant more people of different African ancestry but using your logic we going to just ignored this. Make them one group, and because this monolithic group were pretending isn't mix makes the overwhelm majority. We going to argue places like Boston, Seattle and Minneapolis that have less than 3x times the population is more diverse.
The foreign black population in these cities are much more visible than they are in ATL.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:27 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Yes, those areas have the most racial mixing but technically Providence and Boston have more racial admixture due to the Cape Verdean. A higher % of black there's come in as mixed race- objectively.

But in reality, and practically, I agree with you about MPLS and SEA. I have notice it. Cape Verdeans aren't really "mixed race" like that in terms of recent racial mixture.

And does Honolulu really have a huge black poulation? lol.

I wonder how Anchorage fairs here.. Ill take a look in a moment..
For prospective Boston, MPLS and SEA black populations are significantly both closer to percentage and population wise to Honolulu than they are to Metro Atlanta. heck Chicago, DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Philly etc etc etc. for that matter

Again Boston, MPLS and SEA 3x to 4x larger but have the Black population size of Jacksonville and Raleigh. No Atlantans aren't "dense" just the comparison and ideal calling them of Black as "lol" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City