Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2022, 01:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Other Caribbean countries are not only 12% black and don't receive that type of migration. but Id have to guess how they would do it? African countries count by the tribe.
I would say the same way White Americans identify Italians, Jewish, and Irish people etc. in cities around America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The Berkshire culture then was small free blacks, and many of them mixed race. That really hasnt changed much tday. Most of the black people I know who have lived in Berkshire are from New York State/Canada or Boston and don't have strong in the south. But nearly ALL of them are non-west-Indian or non-African. DuBois was mixed race balck and white over many generations. Talked about it in the black cutlure thread but back then race mixing was relative 'okay' in Massachusetts, especially in a place like Great Barrington which if you haven't been is basically a small hamlet of early American culture. most all the blacks have moved to Pittsfield MA north of there.

But needless to say, knowing who WEB DuBois was I think its more than safe to assume he identified with black culture/people. lol.. I've been to one of his Namesakes
Saying he identifies with being Black American means what? Did he eat collard greens, fried chicken, black eyed peas, corn bread, and sweat potato pie at family functions? We have to define culture and ethnicity to even begin this discussion. It’s no different than Latino, Asian, African, or Caribbean cultures and ethnicities eating their native cuisine, wearing their native garments, and following their native traditions.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:19 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I would say the same way White Americans identify Italians, Jewish, and Irish people etc. in cities around America.
Yea generally black countries don't have economies that have drawn people from far and wide. Certainly not in the western Hemisphere. The legacy of slavery in the Caribbean muddled all of that. And the size of the islands limit it. The Caribbean is a net exporter not importer of people.

When I've been to Africa there was black diversity in South Africa because people from all over the continent come there for economic opportunity. Zimbabweans, Botswananas, Swatis, Zambians, and Nigerians were all pretty present. On top of Colored, Khoisans, Xhosa, Zulu and other small tribes native to the area.

In Senegal, you really just had Mande (Mandingo) and Wolof people. It was 90% Muslim 18/9% Christian and 2% Animist.

Most black countries do tribe or religion. In the Caribbean black diversity within a county is something that exists enough where you would measure it with the exception of countries with many mixed race people like Aruba, or Trinidad.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Saying he identifies with being Black means what? Did he eat collard greens, fried chicken, black eyed peas, corn bread, and sweat potato pie at family functions? We have to define culture and ethnicity to even begin this discussion.
..It means he identifies as a black man??

This definitely borders on ignorant, bruv. Cmon. You don't have to do any of that to identify as black- you are not that sophomoric. Black diet varies over time and from region to region. I don't know if sweet potato pie and fried chicken were eaten commonly back in those days. I'm sure western blacks and geecehee blacks had different diets than what you are describing.

No one is gonna go back and read his dietary log or scientifically analyze his toilet bowl. I have zero clue what that man ate. When or where.

What discussion are you trying to start?

Old 10-12-2022, 01:29 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Saying he identifies with being Black means what? Did he eat collard greens, fried chicken, black eyed peas, corn bread, and sweat potato pie at family functions? We have to define culture and ethnicity to even begin this discussion.
Just that. He identified as black because he was. He likely didn't grow up eat those foods due to location, but this gets to the point being made even within the African American experience. It is varied and has always been that way.

He also descended from Africans that were enslaved on his mother's side of the family in NY and western MA, if I'm not mistaken.

Another person that comes to mind is Sojourner Truth, who was born just outside of Kingston NY in 1797: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth

Old 10-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
..It means he identifies as a black man??

This definitely borders on ignorant, bruv. Cmon. You don't have to do any of that to identify as black- you are not that sophomoric.

No one is gonna go back and read his dietary log or scientifically analyze his toilet bowl. I have zero clue what that man ate. When or where.

What discussion are you trying to start?
I’m only asking the question what is Black American culture? There is a popular term being used right now which says “do it for the culture” that you may have heard. I have never heard it used by Black Americans in relation to African or Caribbean traditions.

I am a big proponent of the Black diaspora which has been documented in many threads on this forum. I think there is a definition missing from that though. How does Black American culture compare or differ from other cultures around the world? Without that answer, they can’t coexist out of respect and the pursuit of knowledge.

Black immigrants have been known to look down on Black Americans drawing a line in the sand and making a distinction between themselves and Black Americans. They don’t always respect or even acknowledge Black American culture either. They sometimes say they lack a culture. My question is, what is Black American culture?

Old 10-12-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just that. He identified as black because he was. He likely didn't grow up eat those foods due to location, but this gets to the point being made even within the African American experience. It is varied and has always been that way.

He also descended from Africans that were enslaved on his mother's side of the family in NY and western MA, if I'm not mistaken.

Another person that comes to mind is Sojourner Truth, who was born just outside of Kingston NY in 1797: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth
Yes, all that but he also taught at Clark Atlanta... so he did live in the South for a long time.

DuBois quite literally dedicated his life to the advancement of his fellow black people and I'm a little uncomfortable even discussing the validity of his blackness this in this context just feels widly and unjustly disrespectful to that man.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I’m only asking the question what is Black American culture? There is a popular term being used right now which says “do it for the culture” that you may have heard. I have never heard it used by Black Americans in relation to African or Caribbean traditions.

I am a big proponent of the Black diaspora which has been documented in many threads on this forum. I think there is a definition missing from that though. How does Black American culture compare or differ from other cultures around the world? Without that answer, they can’t coexist out of respect and the pursuit of knowledge.

Black immigrants have been known to look down on Black Americans drawing a line in the sand and making a distinction between themselves and Black Americans. They don’t always respect or even acknowledge Black American culture either. They sometimes say they lack a culture. My question is, what is Black American culture?
I think that's for other threads that we already have deciated to "richest black culture" and "cultural relevance".

And WEB Dubois wasn't a black immigrant or even second generation. His father was born in the Bahamas but his dad's father was born in the US and came to the US when black slaves were still being imported... his mother was born in the US. He was born in the US.

You can't have that conversation about black culture/immigrants about a dude from the 1860s. It just doesn't work. Nothing there.

It barely works now. Black America would be the 6th/7th largest black country on earth- just about tied with South Africa. It's like asking what is Nigerian Culture. The truth is it's too expansive to put in a nutshell. Wed overlook or forget too much. We have a massive cultural output. One of the greatest and most complex probably in human history. It way easier to be accurate on a state or at least regional level. But even within states- it varies. In places with fewer black Black Americans culture is more likely to blend with others (im thinking of the western states in particular) But many other examples as well.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, all that but he also taught at Clark Atlanta... so he did live in the South for a long time.

DuBois quite literally dedicated his life to the advancement of his fellow black people and I'm a little uncomfortable even discussing the validity of his blackness this in this context just feels widly and unjustly disrespectful to that man.
I haven’t made a single statement. Everything has been a question which was on purpose. All those questions was leading to a desire to define Black American culture. Other ethnic groups and nationalities have definable traditions, food, garments, and customs. It’s pretty Black and White when describing what it means to participate in their cultures. What is Black America culture? Can we define it?

Old 10-12-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I think that's for other threads that we already have deciated to "richest black culture" and "cultural relevance".

And WEB Dubois wasn't a black immigrant or even second generation. His father was born in the Bahamas but his dad's father was born in the US and came to the US when black slaves were still being imported... his mother was born in the US. He was born in the US.

You can't have that conversation about black culture/immigrants about a dude from the 1860s. It just doesn't work. Nothing there.
I think it’s relevant to this thread because identity and blood are not the same. If I’m Nigerian from a certain tribe, but I no longer participate in those traditions and associate with Black American culture, what does that say for this discussion? What exactly are you asking when it comes to your experience in Boston vs. NYC vs. DC vs. Atlanta vs. wherever?

What I put on the census has nothing to do with what kind of lifestyle I participate in. You mentioned what you “feel” when you’re in cities. Doesn’t that have to do with active participation in someone’s native culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City