Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 09:04 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

What funny is of all the different groups and ethnicities in Boston I think I met one singLe Mexican kid when I was like 14/15 at a ‘Boston Ballers Summer Jam’ basketball tournament….We were teammates for a day. I don’t think I met another Mexican from Boston. Maybe I’ve met one in Boston? Point is we have no Mexican culture and almost no Mexicans at all. Never going to public school, never meeting a Mexican, going to an all boys school, growing up around primarily West Indian and African blacks, not seeing your city ever accurately portrayed in the media.
To me, that's wild. Even New York has a sizable Mexican population nowadays. Mexicans have been the overwhelmingly majority hispanic group since the 80s or 90s and are everywhere in the Chicago area today, and it's easy for me to assume that the hispanics I see on a daily are Mexican descent, unless they have discernable African features, then I guess Puerto Rican (easy to tell if they have one of those PR flag banners on their car's rearview mirror, which I typically see if the driver is Puerto Rican). But coming across Dominicans here are like seeing Mexicans in Boston, virtually nonexistent. Afro-hispanics and double if they speak Spanish fluently) period are like a novelty, and the few I've seen here have been Puerto Rican, and then there are the ones who have African American and Mexican/Puerto Rican parents, if they count. I've met one Afro-Dominican here at a job I've worked 5 years ago.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-13-2022 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 09:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, it is interchangeable, but should it be? Black Americans have their roots in Africa and many traditions around the world come from African roots, but countries with African roots other than America have created their own culture and it supersedes their African roots.

Black Brazilians aren't African Brazilian. Brazil was a slave state.
Black Jamaicans aren't African Jamaican. Jamaica was a slave state.
Black Dominicans aren't African Dominicans. Dominican Republic was a slave state.
Black Cubans aren't African Cuban. Cuba was a slave state.
Black Trinidadians aren't African Trinidadians. Trinidad was a slave state.
Black Guyanese aren't African Guyanese. Guyana was a slave state.
etc.
etc.
etc.

So, the million-dollar question is, why are Black people in American African American? I don't have the answer, but has anyone asked it?
I havent asked it because its just not interesting to me. But here you go:

Use of 'African-American' Dates to Nation's Early Days

An ad in The Pennsylvania Journal on May 15, 1782, used the term "African American" (near the bottom). “Afro-American” has been documented as early as 1831, with “black American” (1818) and “Africo-American” (1788) going back even further.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
To me, that's wild. Even New York has a sizable Mexican population nowadays. Mexicans are everywhere in the Chicago area, and it's easy for me to assume that the hispanics I see on a daily are Mexican descent, unless they have discernable African features, then I guess Puerto Rican (easy to tell if they have one of those PR flag banners on their car's rearview mirror, which I typically see if the driver is Puerto Rican). But coming across Dominicans here are like seeing Mexicans in Boston, virtually nonexistent. Afro-hispanics and double if they speak Spanish fluently) period are like a novelty, and the few I've seen here have been (I'd assume) Puerto Rican, and then there are the ones who have African American and Mexican/Puerto Rican parents, if they count. I've met one Afro-Dominican here at a job I've worked 5 years ago.
Yea I couldn't give you the name of one Mexican ind- Actual there was a Mexican from Detroit worked at some youth Program at Harvard when I was 17 lol. He was a student at Harvard. realizing now I still don't know his name. Yea a lotta Hispanic come to Boston and their like...this is 'ghetto' there's some Latino writers in the Boston globe from San Antonio and Florida and they lament their lack of connection to the Latinos in Boston.

But yea I knew nothing about Mexicans other than what I saw in 90s moved from LA. All the Hispanic I gre up around were visibly African in lineage and lived in black neighborhoods. Most of the media, and even the racist commentators/trolls in the comments section will take an article that considers Latinos in Boston and just call them black the whole way through. Or there will be no just plain black people mentioned in the article but they'll say "black and brown" the whole way through.

The Hispanics where most of them have smooth/straight hair, speak Spanish, and wear soccer cleats and jerseys and cowboy hats - I never experienced that until I moved to Maryland. I never knew about Tajin and pupusas and elote and whatnot. it was all mofongo, empanadas, fried pork... Central Americans exist in Boston mostly north of the city away from the black population...and in small numbers in Rhode Island but not enough where I regularly encountered them.

The Hispanic homies in Boston have locs and cornrows and don't wear Team Jordans LMAO. In college (I was in CT) we had a Puerto Rican from Chicago but he was very different than the ones in CT. Eventually he loved the dominance of PR culture out there enough where he stayed in Hartford and became an elected official. Then he moved to Orlando of course lol.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:27 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
I havent asked it because its just not interesting to me. But here you go:

Use of 'African-American' Dates to Nation's Early Days

An ad in The Pennsylvania Journal on May 15, 1782, used the term "African American" (near the bottom). “Afro-American” has been documented as early as 1831, with “black American” (1818) and “Africo-American” (1788) going back even further.
So do you think it piggybacks off what I mentioned about some people from Africa saying Black people in America are lost because they have no country and no culture? That term was born during slavery. Why aren't white people called White Americans? They are immigrants to this country. Black people are Black Americans and white people are just American?

Serious question for you. For the last couple years, you have mentioned Caribbean culture in many threads related to Boston and Black people. You have mentioned it so much I thought you were West Indian, but you clarified that you weren't. Is your connection to Caribbean culture connected to your upbringing in Boston? That is what you were around so that is what you identify with? I know people who weren't Latino, but grew up with mainly Latino friends and they also identify with Latino culture more than anything else.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So do you think it piggybacks off what I mentioned about some people from Africa saying Black people in America are lost because they have no country and no culture? That term was born during slavery.

Serious question for you. For the last couple years, you have mentioned Caribbean culture in many threads related to Boston and Black people. You have mentioned it so much I thought you were West Indian, but you clarified that you weren't. Is your connection to Caribbean culture connected to your upbringing in Boston? That is what you were around so that is what you identify with? I know people who weren't Latino, but grew up with mainly Latino friends and they also identify with Latino culture more than anything else.
yea 100% usually I know more Caribbean music and terms than many if not most west Indians I meet who aren't from New England or New York City or born on the Island. They call me "an honorary West Indian" not a term I really like, and I usually deny it but yes. I'm just very familiar and comfortable with it and grew up with it. I didn't realize that until I left Boston.

Do I identify with West Indians or being one? Meh, not really. Most of my closest friends were African American or half African American. As were my family members and the leaders of many groups/orgs I went to just around the city growing up. Because I don't actually have a west Indian country to claim I just look at them all as "West Indians"

IDK I was at a wedding in Newport RI right Th bride was an African American woman from North Andover MA who i knew growing up through social networks/friend groups- her husband is Jamaican born in Jamaica who recently emigrated to Boston. All my black friends there were Black Americans who attended private schools in MA and CT. There were also a few Mixed race blacks, a Haitian, and at least one Nigerian from inner city Chelsea MA.... And then you had 2 of his Jamaican folks. The DJ, DJ Real P is Nigerian and Liberian (see the flags on his IG profile) but was born in Roxbury so hes very much 2nd generation. So we were having a good old black time going from the GAP band, to Patrice Rushen, to 50 Cent, to Vybz Kartel, to RDX, to Tems, to Tyrese to SWV (it was actually Every Little Step that got everyone on the dance floor...)in the backdrop of one of what's considered the quintessential WASPY town in America.

But when you go to Newport you will find Cape Verdeans and African Americans- as Newport always had a Black American population since slavery times (major slave port, State of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations). Then the Cape Verdeans came for shipbuilding. And now there were Jamaicans there serving the seasonal tourist. Driving through Newport its gorgeous and so well preserved but you only see a black person walking every blue moon (but theyre there), but a bunch of them as Valets....But also Black Americans in the Housing projects of Northern Newport. This plus Orchard park and Bobby Brown and people like Enoch Woodhouse. But also trips down to Trenton NJ and Wilmington NC to see the family is all a part of my black experience..

Old 10-13-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
yea 100% usually I know more Caribbean music and terms than many if not most west Indians I meet who aren't from New England or New York City or born on the Island. They call me "an honorary West Indian" not a term I really like, and I usually deny it but yes. I'm just very familiar and comfortable with it and grew up with it. I didn't realize that until I left Boston.

Do I identify with West Indians or being one? Meh, not really. Most of my closest friends were African American or half African American. As were my family members and the leaders of many groups/orgs I went to just around the city growing up. Because I don't actually have a west Indian country to claim I just look at them all as "West Indians"

IDK I was at a wedding in Newport RI right Th bride was an African American woman from North Andover MA who i knew growing up through social networks/friend groups- her husband is Jamaican born in Jamaica who recently emigrated to Boston. All my black friends there were Black Americans who attended private schools in MA and CT. There were also a few Mixed race blacks, a Haitian, and at least one Nigerian from inner city Chelsea MA.... And then you had 2 of his Jamaican folks. The DJ, DJ Real P is Nigerian and Liberian (see the flags on his IG profile) but was born in Roxbury so hes very much 2nd generation. So we were having a good old black time going from the GAP band, to Patrice Rushen, to 50 Cent, to Vybz Kartel, to RDX, to Tems, to Tyrese to SWV (it was actually Every Little Step that got everyone on the dance floor...)in the backdrop of one of what's considered the quintessential WASPY town in America.

But when you go to Newport you will find Cape Verdeans and African Americans- as Newport always had a Black American population since slavery times (major slave port, State of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations). Then the Cape Verdeans came for shipbuilding. And now there were Jamaicans there serving the seasonal tourist. Driving through Newport its gorgeous and so well preserved but you only see a black person walking every blue moon (but theyre there), but a bunch of them as Valets....But also Black Americans in the Housing projects of Northern Newport. This plus Orchard park and Bobby Brown and people like Enoch Woodhouse. But also trips down to Trenton NJ and Wilmington NC to see the family is all a part of my black experience..
I've been to Newport. My cousin got married there and I was the best man. Didn't see many Black people other than people attending the wedding. It was very beautiful though. I figured that you must have grown up with a heavy Caribbean influence which explains your interest in that culture. I wonder if your ethnicity of being Black American combined with your upbringing and influence around Caribbean culture creates a tension wanting Caribbean culture and Black American culture to be one and the same? What do you think about the relationship between them?

I ask that because when you are defending Boston in Black topic threads on city-data.com, you typically lead with Caribbean culture which makes sense because that is the dominant culture of people with Black skin in Boston based on what you have explained. Is that correct?

Old 10-13-2022, 10:02 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Are they considered Black American? Wouldn’t they be African American, Latino American, or Caribbean American? I told BostonBorn yesterday this is a problematic thread because it’s really about culture, not ethnicity. We don’t have a vehicle for our diversity which is driven by culture for people with Black skin in America. Maybe we need to redefine our terms?
well I'm of Caribbean descent and I'm 100% black American and resist anyone who says otherwise. I think there's a general black American culture that if you're born here/live in black communities.

But I guess you're asking more what is Black/African American culture and ethnicity specifically?

Old 10-13-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I've been to Newport. My cousin got married there and I was the best man. Didn't see many Black people other than people attending the wedding. It was very beautiful though. I figured that you must have grown up with a heavy Caribbean influence which explains your interest in that culture. I wonder if your ethnicity of being Black American combined with your upbringing and influence around Caribbean culture creates a tension wanting Caribbean culture and Black American culture to be one and the same? What do you think about the relationship between them?

I ask that because when you are defending Boston in Black topic threads on city-data.com, you typically lead with Caribbean culture which makes sense because that is the dominant culture of people with Black skin in Boston based on what you have explained. Is that correct?

Yes like I said you only see balck people walking around once in a blue moon. But theyr were all of our valets.

And if you go to look at Newport Public Schools and into the nontourist areas- there are black people there- its one of the poorer districts in RI actually, unfortunately. Newport RI is 7% nonmixed, nonhispanic black . https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...SDP5Y2020.DP05

The school district is 11% black. https://www.publicschoolreview.com/r...chool-district

Well no...usually you or someone else brings up West Indians in Boston. The cultures are NOT one and the same but you've never been to Boston to understand what the culture of Boston is...lol. You should be listening and accepting what I am telling you about what the culture is like up there because you've never been there and before me, you just dindt know anything about it.

There is absolutely no "tension" whatsoever. For me, the infusion of the two is as normal and familiar as my own skin. The only "tension" is created by your general lack of understanding my guy. I think because your experience in DC doesn't jibe with mine in Boston you kind of short-circuit on the understanding. It is "like you're saying that's impossible it can't be!" but it is..

think of it as abraid. There are three strands - American, Caribbean and African. They all come together to make a beautiful braid pattern- but they're still 3 separate strands THey just work together to form something greater.

This thread is specifically about diverse black populations so naturally, it has to be mentioned that Boston has West Indians, in fact, OP mentioned Boston (but never culture) in the original post...

I don't really have an interest in the culture so much as I have knowledge and comfortability/familiarity with the culture. I didn't need an interest in the culture for the culture to present itself to me readily. I think you don't understand that. For me, I don't really have an investment in protecting black American culture or investing in African/west Indian culture. The same way I have many Latino songs on my phone where I dont understand the lyrics but enjoy the music. I'm just a cultured person in large part due to my upbringing.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Well no...usually you or someone else brings up West Indians in Boston. The cultures are NOT one and the same but you've never been to Boston to understand what the culture of Boston is...lol. You should be listening and accepting what I am telling you about what the culture is like up there because you've never been there and before me, you just dindt know anything about it.

There is absolutely no "tension" whatsoever. For me, the infusion of the two is as normal and familiar as my own skin. The only "tension" is created by your general lack of understanding my guy. I think because your experience in DC doesn't jibe with mine in Boston you kind of short-circuit on the understanding. It is "like you're saying that's impossible it can't be!" but it is..

This thread is specifically about diverse black populations so naturally, it has to be mentioned that Boston has West Indians, in fact, OP mentioned Boston (but never culture) in the orignial post...

I don't really have an interest in the culture so much as I have knowledge and comfortability/familiarity with the culture. I didn't need an interest in the culture for the culture to present itself to me readily. I think you don't understand that. For me, I don't really have an investment in protecting black American culture or investing in African/west Indian culture.The same way I have many Latino songs on my phone where I dont understand the lyrics but enjoy the music. I'm just a cultured person in large part due to my upbringing.
You may be able to find an isolated incident that may be related to an offensive statement I made about a city which most certainly would have followed someone saying something offensive to me, but I rarely say anything negative about any city on city-data.com. I don’t bring up the culture of Boston.

I’m not asking these questions to offend you either. I’m asking them because I think they are relevant to a discussion about Black diversity. It’s something we as Black Americans haven’t defined ourselves. It’s something that is overlooked. I also think we don’t realize we are actually diminishing our own culture without knowing it.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You may be able to find an isolated incident that may be related to an offensive statement I made about a city which most certainly would have followed someone saying something offensive to me, but I rarely say anything negative about any city on city-data.com. I don’t bring up the culture of Boston.
It's true you rarely bring up anything negative about cities, I agree. I didn't say you did. But you do bring up or question the culture in Boston. Many times. Which makes sense because it's not a place you know and I mention Boston in various threads. I'm more than happy to answer, but you do bring it up a good deal.

You just asked me about it like 4 post ago lol. And you asked about it in the black culture thread (the ngih clubs, theatres etc,. And like 6 other threads bruv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City