Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times

Advertisements

Sacramento hmmm I dunno seems like its well known and thriving but maybe im on the east coast so can't say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
As somebody from the Worcester suburbs who enjoyed the Worcester bars in my 20's, why the F would anybody not from the Worcester area go to Worcester.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I seriously doubt if Madison is thought of too much outside of Wisconsin. About the only times I hear Madison mentioned is in this CD forum or whenever University of Wisconsin happens to be playing a football or basketball game on tv. Otherwise I hear alot more about Milwaukee and Green Bay than Madison.
As if you'd ever heard of Green Bay if it wasn't for football. It's actually a really boring town. Turns out even you have more reasons to hear about Madison.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
As somebody from the Worcester suburbs who enjoyed the Worcester bars in my 20's, why the F would anybody not from the Worcester area go to Worcester.
I know Worcester has come a long way in recent years, but I have a really hard time calling it "Overlooked." Locally, I think it gets all the attention it deserves as the hub of Central MA. It has a moderate economy and is a local hub for entertainment. It provides decent value for those working in Boston who don't want to pay Boston prices and are willing to commute the distance (though PVD is a better value). And on a national level, what about Worcester would make it worth taking a harder look at? Is there really anything extremely special about the place? Especially compared to others on the list? Worcester is fine. But it's not overlooked by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:06 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Is madison really an absolute gem? I've been thetherthethere anand had a good time. But I dont understand the massive hype.
It's more that it's nice considering its COL, and compared to the Rust Belt cities surrounding it. Nationwide there are plenty of more desirable cities.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Hartford, Wilmington (NC), Richmond (VA).

Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's more that it's nice considering its COL, and compared to the Rust Belt cities surrounding it. Nationwide there are plenty of more desirable cities.
I would have to agree Madison gets overlooked in some way, and in other, it definitely gets "looked" at over places like Milwaukee and Duluth.

On a national scale, I'd say Madison gets overlooked. On a Midwestern/Big 10 level though, no, it doesn't.

Madison is getting a bit pricier too BTW.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Madison definitely gets overlooked outside of the Midwest. As for Washington, I’d replace Olympia with Bellingham. Bellingham gets completely overlooked at the national level and is a pretty cool mid-sized city and college town.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Sacramento hmmm I dunno seems like its well known and thriving but maybe im on the east coast so can't say for sure.
I find most Easterners know where Sacramento is, and have heard about it in a very general sense; to be honest, when you say "Sacramento", you don't have to say "California" after it. The name is unique and there is some measure of familiarity with the name, people know where it is...

What makes Sacramento overlooked is a)most Easterners can't name more than a single characteristic or two about the city, and b)its name recognizance isn't as popular or fantasized about as other California cities and regions. So by that measure, it's certainly overlooked----->but every single Easterner I've known who has been to Sacramento enjoyed it, and some were surprised as they had no real expectations; ive not known a single person who has been to Sacramento who had a negative experience or perception of the city!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I find most Easterners know where Sacramento is, and have heard about it in a very general sense; to be honest, when you say "Sacramento", you don't have to say "California" after it. The name is unique and there is some measure of familiarity with the name, people know where it is...

What makes Sacramento overlooked is a)most Easterners can't name more than a single characteristic or two about the city, and b)its name recognizance isn't as popular or fantasized about as other California cities and regions. So by that measure, it's certainly overlooked----->but every single Easterner I've known who has been to Sacramento enjoyed it, and some were surprised as they had no real expectations; ive not known a single person who has been to Sacramento who had a negative experience or perception of the city!
Sacramento is known literally because it is a decently sized city that happens to be in California. If Sacramento was in Nevada or Idaho, nobody would know or care anything about it outside of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City