Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I have a hard time believing Portland is lower than Denver and Seattle. I know it has its flaws, but Trimet seems to have a well integrated system with the MAX and the buses. When I lived in Golden, I found the Denver transit underwhelming. Seattle apparently has their eggs in the bus basket which works, but isn't sexy. Sadly people just simply like trains more.
Seattle actually has a $54 Billion rail expansion currently underway - the rail network will be massive within 15 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
One thing I appreciate about Chicago's system is they took a pause from trying to expand the system and really got aggressive in rebuilding what they have and adding back infill stations that were removed over the years.

Since I've moved here they have:

COMPLETED:

* Completely rebuilt 18 Brown Line stations along the entire line, increased capacity by 33% with longer trains/stations and added accessible/elevators at all stations along the line.

* Shut down the southern half of the Red Line for five months to completely rebuild the tracks and signals along with partial rebuilds and repairs to all stations.

* Installed 4G cellular service to all subway tunnels and stations.

* Installed "Next Train" displays at all train stations throughout the system. Installed GPS on all trains and buses to get real-time information on exactly how far away the next few trains and buses are.

* Installed hundreds of "Next Bus" displays and covered secure bus stops at thousands of stops across the city with digital information on exactly how far away the next few buses are.

* Installed "BTR" or at least dedicated lanes across two streets running through the heart of the loop with elevated/dedicated bus stops, prepaid boarding and displays of all upcoming buses.

* Rebuilt the tracks and signals through the Red and Blue line tunnels to increase efficiencies and service.

* Rebuilt the tracks along the Loop elevated to bring them into good order and more modern signals.

* Completely rebuilt, modernized and enlarged all Red Line subway stations along with downtown Blue Line stations.

CURRENT PROJECTS:

* New trains have been fully deployed on the Red, Green, Purple and Pink Lines. New trains to be delivered this year to fully replace the Blue, Orange and Brown Lines. This will result in the entire system having a fleet of trains 10 years old or less.

* Track replacement and intensive signal upgrades along the Blue Line, Brown Line and Green Lines.

* "Brown Line Flyover" kicking off this year to construct a flyover ramp to take the Brown Line over the Red and Purple Lines in Lakeview where a current junction exists.

* Red Line and Purple Line rebuild to start kicking off. Multi-billion dollar wholesale rebuild of tracks and stations along the main line of the Red/Purple line through the north side.

* Station rebuilds/enhancements and repairs along with track and signal replacement along the entire route of the O'hare branch of the Blue Line.

NEW OR COMPLETELY REBUILT STATIONS

* Washington/Wabash in Loop: Completed
* Cermak Green Line: Completed
* Wilson Red Line: Completed
* Clark/Division Red Line: Completed
* Illinois Medical Ctr Blue Line: Completed
* Morgan Green Line: Completed
* Oakton Yellow Line: Completed
* Garfield Green Line: Ongoing
* Damen Green Line: Ongoing
* Quincy Brown Line: Ongoing
* 95th Red Line: Ongoing

* Thirteen other large scale renovations to stations across system completed.

The system is *SO* much more reliable than it was 10-15 years ago...

The biggest change for me is the GPS on all trains and buses. I can open my phone and within 10 seconds know exactly when the next train or bus is coming at any stop or station in the entire city. Also up to the minute updates on any trains that are standing for any reason, sick customer, signal delay, etc. Now I look quick before ever leaving my house, work or a restaurant/bar and I can see exactly when the next bus comes and time it so I get to the station exactly when the bus does. Later at night that can save me 20 minutes sometimes to have another beer or sit in front of the TV a bit longer.
With the tremendous growth in the greater downtown area, I suspect we'll see even more stations fill in in this area. The 78, a made from scratch "neighborhood", so named because Chicago has 77 neighborhoods....and this makes it one more, is located on the southern downtown riverfront, and is in line for a Red Line subway station, $300 million dollars worth.

Personally I am sorry that the proposed Chicago "Circle Line" (I think they were going with gold as the color) was basically dropped. This was a great plan to replicate the Chicago Loop's elevated tracks by creating an outer loop which encompasses the spread of downtown in all three directions. Most of the trackage was in place on existing lines and only a few parcels would have to be built: on the southwest connecting Chinatown (orange) with West Side (pink) on an elevated track. The other infill would have connected the pink line near the United Center with the red line around Old Town by way of a subway. The beauty of this idea is that it could have prevented the set up where all lines converge in the center of town. It wold have given a great by-pass.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
With the tremendous growth in the greater downtown area, I suspect we'll see even more stations fill in in this area. The 78, a made from scratch "neighborhood", so named because Chicago has 77 neighborhoods....and this makes it one more, is located on the southern downtown riverfront, and is in line for a Red Line subway station, $300 million dollars worth.

Personally I am sorry that the proposed Chicago "Circle Line" (I think they were going with gold as the color) was basically dropped. This was a great plan to replicate the Chicago Loop's elevated tracks by creating an outer loop which encompasses the spread of downtown in all three directions. Most of the trackage was in place on existing lines and only a few parcels would have to be built: on the southwest connecting Chinatown (orange) with West Side (pink) on an elevated track. The other infill would have connected the pink line near the United Center with the red line around Old Town by way of a subway. The beauty of this idea is that it could have prevented the set up where all lines converge in the center of town. It wold have given a great by-pass.
Yeah I was a big fan of the circle line. I was sad when it seemed to just fade away. I'm curious now that Dems are in control of all Illinois government if they'll actually pass this $40 billion transportation package they're pushing with the gas tax increase. Billions of that would go to transit.

I definitely like this project, the rail network covering all sides of the central area of the city. It hits all the huge redevelopment sites as well, Lincoln Yards, the 78 and the Michael Reese stuff.

https://i0.wp.com/chi.streetsblog.or...5-13.23.11.png

I would at least like them to do the main commuter stations, Union and Ogilvey, along the Carroll connector out to Navy Pier. Not that I'm a huge fan of Navy Pier, but that link between the west loop stations that see hundreds of thousands of commuters per day directly into River North/Mag Mile and out to the lakefront would be heavily used.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 AM

26 posts, read 17,510 times
If you include LTR, Bus, & managed - express lanes DFW has less traffic problems than any metro of its size.

Last edited by RCD203; 05-30-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Yeah I was a big fan of the circle line. I was sad when it seemed to just fade away. I'm curious now that Dems are in control of all Illinois government if they'll actually pass this $40 billion transportation package they're pushing with the gas tax increase. Billions of that would go to transit.

I definitely like this project, the rail network covering all sides of the central area of the city. It hits all the huge redevelopment sites as well, Lincoln Yards, the 78 and the Michael Reese stuff.

I would at least like them to do the main commuter stations, Union and Ogilvey, along the Carroll connector out to Navy Pier. Not that I'm a huge fan of Navy Pier, but that link between the west loop stations that see hundreds of thousands of commuters per day directly into River North/Mag Mile and out to the lakefront would be heavily used.
I really wish the proposed funding amounts for road building and mass transit were swapped.

The Circle Line is good, but I like the idea of extending the Purple Line down through West Loop / Near West Side and then down into south side more. It hits a lot of transfer points, avoids further clustering in the Loop while still hitting burgeoning areas including employment areas, and makes better use of the existing express El express tracks which otherwise only operate at peak hours despite North Side ridership having soared. It can also have a mostly straight and therefore speedy alignment.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,111 times
Cities with best transportation system-septaold3.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldano View Post
cities with best transportation system: 2019
1. Ny
2. Sf
3. Washington
4. Chicago
5. Boston
6. Seattle
7. Denver
8. San jose
9. Portland
10.la
So Philadelphia wasn't able to make the list? lol

Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I still put Chicago in second. If anything, 2a and 2b are Chicago and DC. But I think anyone with a brain can realize that putting SF over either of them is an absolute joke.
Chicago has to be second if you include buses and commuter rail. Otherwise it’s a tossup but I’d put the more modern, faster DC metro ahead.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Well, look at it this way....we may be creeping towards creating the Circle Line. If I'm not mistaken, the separation of the blue line into blue (Congress) and pink (out to Cicero) involved the pink line using the unused trackage between the Eisenhower and Lake Street, the stretch going past the UC....and this stretch was too be a part of the Circle Line.

Hey, it's a start...fully agree with you on being a fan of the circle line. I had (foolishly, I might add) suggested that if the area enclosed by Lake, Wabash, Van Buren and Wells constituted the Loop, the Circle Line could give us a name for the area it was to enclose, an area that really assemblies basically all the downtown neighborhoods (well, most anyway): the Circuit.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I really wish the proposed funding amounts for road building and mass transit were swapped.

The Circle Line is good, but I like the idea of extending the Purple Line down through West Loop / Near West Side and then down into south side more. It hits a lot of transfer points, avoids further clustering in the Loop while still hitting burgeoning areas including employment areas, and makes better use of the existing express El express tracks which otherwise only operate at peak hours despite North Side ridership having soared. It can also have a mostly straight and therefore speedy alignment.
Is this an actual suggestion that CTA considered? How could it be accomplished? The Purple express, once basically pretty much for the folks in Evanston, Wilmette, and Skokie (via the swift) to have a quick ride downtown. Now that the key locations on the North Side are included, this is the best options for North Siders to get to the Loop quickly (neither the red or brown offer that)...

so, given what I would think is a necessity to continue going all around the Loop....how could it be extended to the west and south sides? It could, I suppose, take a two street route...either Wells/Van Buren or Lake/Wabash which would give it access to the South Side....but not offer that connection you suggest to the near West Side.

I don't even think there is a way to go west and then south. First off, if you tried to do that, you would not be able to hit any Loop stations because an inbound train would have to turn right on to the Lake Street tracks. Thus the only stop that remotely could be considered the Loop would be the Merchandise Mart...and a transfer to the Brown line.

But even if you could get on the Lake Street tracks, there is no existing connection between the West and South sides. All the west side lines, blue, pink, green...go to the Loop...no trackage is connected in going to the South Side.

The closest thing I can think of that somewhat mimicked this suggestion of taking the purple line south is the long gone North Shore Interurban line which used CTA trackage in the city and basically hit two legs (I believe Lake and Wabash) of the Loop el to get it south of downtown, I believe to around Roosevelt Rd.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM

142 posts, read 93,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
in 20 years, (by quality.. not quantity, sorry MTA)

Top 10 Rail Only
1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle
4. Washington DC
5. Portland OR
6. Boston
7. Chicago
8. Philadelphia
9. New Jersey & PATH
10. Denver

Interesting that you add the PATH above MTA. I think it's really a system with a bleak future because costs to maintain and operate are astronomical:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/n...in-nj-nyc.html

I can also say, I hate taking the PATH. The trains are absolutely, suffocatingly packed, it's as bad as the 4/5 during rush hour, and it's insanely slow. For some reason the trip from Newark to World Trade Center is around 40 minutes, even though it's only 5 stops, basically 4 considering the Harrison stop is so close to Newark you can see it from the platform! The trains actually just creep forward. Worst is the fact that everything seems to be a single track, trains go backwards and forwards, so a slight problem or disruption can be crippling to the entire system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City