Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:10 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It doesn't mean it looks the same at street level, it just means that most people don't know or care
If you live in a subdivision you can tell which house is yours because to you they are different houses. Someone from the outside won’t be able to tell the difference.

Same thing to someone very familiar with NY it might seem different but to most people it’s similar enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you live in a subdivision you can tell which house is yours because to you they are different houses. Someone from the outside won’t be able to tell the difference.

Same thing to someone very familiar with NY it might seem different but to most people it’s similar enough.
There are some giveaways about NYC such as architecture style and the way that the signage and lampposts look. I don't think there's anywhere else in the US where the traffic lights have that design with the guy wires holding them up.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are some giveaways about NYC such as architecture style and the way that the signage and lampposts look. I don't think there's anywhere else in the US where the traffic lights have that design with the guy wires holding them up.
But literally 0 people who are not New Yorkers would pick out that difference between two cities.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
How about Atlanta? ... well, at least, for this recently-built Manhattan/Brooklyn knockoff rowhouse residential street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7415...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7407...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7412...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Many American cities have their "New York moments"... As they say: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But literally 0 people who are not New Yorkers would pick out that difference between two cities.
Actually, I'm nerdy enough to have noticed the difference. Since childhood, I've long been fascinated with how different big cities do traffic signals: many, like my Cleveland hometown, on wires, but older, more urban areas (ie Chicago and most eastern rowhouse cities) with them mounted on corner posts at eye level. Nowadays, though, most cities have opted for the similar mounting on large, mast (often ugly) steel poles, usually dark brown or black in color, over crosswalks and with large street signs with giant lettering... It's yet another example of the homogenization of urban (as well as the rest of) America.

But New York's almost uniform traffic light system -- with just 2 4-direction traffic lights, supported by posts catty-corner and suspended over intersections by trolley-support type masts with the guy wires, is unique; an NYC signature. NOTE: each pole, mast, only supports one, 4-way traffic signal -- there are zero exceptions... No place I know of uses such traffic supports and, unlike most cities, they are uniform throughout the city -- in at least 4 of the 5 boroughs. ... again, I'm a traffic signal nerd.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
How about Atlanta? ... well, at least, for this recently-built Manhattan/Brooklyn knockoff rowhouse residential street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7415...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7407...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7412...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Many American cities have their "New York moments"... As they say: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I've been to Atlanta and lived in NYC for over 12 years before moving. They are nothing alike and I was never reminded of it while I was there. Even those images you posted I would never think were NYC.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
There’s really no comparison, but I do think downtown Chicago gives off Manhattanesque vibes with the tall skyscrapers, honking taxis, crowds of people, etc. But still, not quite Manhattan.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Actually, I'm nerdy enough to have noticed the difference. Since childhood, I've long been fascinated with how different big cities do traffic signals: many, like my Cleveland hometown, on wires, but older, more urban areas (ie Chicago and most eastern rowhouse cities) with them mounted on corner posts at eye level. Nowadays, though, most cities have opted for the similar mounting on large, mast (often ugly) steel poles, usually dark brown or black in color, over crosswalks and with large street signs with giant lettering... It's yet another example of the homogenization of urban (as well as the rest of) America.

But New York's almost uniform traffic light system -- with just 2 4-direction traffic lights, supported by posts catty-corner and suspended over intersections by trolley-support type masts with the guy wires, is unique; an NYC signature. NOTE: each pole, mast, only supports one, 4-way traffic signal -- there are zero exceptions... No place I know of uses such traffic supports and, unlike most cities, they are uniform throughout the city -- in at least 4 of the 5 boroughs. ... again, I'm a traffic signal nerd.
I also pay attention to this stuff and you're right. It's all 5/5 boroughs. It's actually interesting to me how they use those signals throughout the entire city, even for very wide streets like Linden Blvd in Brooklyn. The only common exceptions is that they'll have ones mounted to wooden utlity poles which are little different looking, and under train overpasses they'll be hung up on a tight cable.

I wonder how NYC's design caught on, but I like it and think it's uniquely NYC. It's how you immediately know you're crossing over from the burbs to city limits.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Toronto, but if it's US cities then Chicago is about the only thing that comes close, and then L.A.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
Chicago I guess is probably about as close as it gets comparing certain areas mainly downtown chicago and midtown and lower manhattan but honestly nothing NYC is simply unlike no other not cocky or whatever it just is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: