Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Chicago I guess is probably about as close as it gets comparing certain areas mainly downtown chicago and midtown and lower manhattan but honestly nothing NYC is simply unlike no other not cocky or whatever it just is what it is.
It’s not being cocky. New York is New York. There’s really nothing else in the world like it. That’s what makes it so special and unique. I <3 NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 PM

413 posts, read 437,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s not being cocky. New York is New York. There’s really nothing else in the world like it. That’s what makes it so special and unique. I <3 NY!
QFT
msg to short

Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Chicago, in places. SF in small areas of downtown.

Philly is more similar to the Bronx, or portions of Brooklyn and Queens, but is not like Manhattan. Manhattan is massive and extreemely dense and busy. No other city in North Americais like that part of NYC.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I’ve never been to Philly but I would assume that it’s fairly similar. It appears to have a similar look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If someone asked "Which US city reminds you most of SF?", the answer would no doubt be "None!"

for LA? "None!"
for Chicago? "None!"
for New Orleans? "None!"
for Washington? "None!"
for Boston "None!"

so that greatness quality you observed in New York equals other cities as well. New York is a truly great city. New York is not the ultimate city. That one doesn't exist.
I’m glad someone said this. There are a few large US cities (And smaller ones) that you could ask this question and the answer would be “None.” I get that NYC is great but it’s not the end all and be all of everything.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
Chicago, in places. SF in small areas of downtown.

Philly is more similar to the Bronx, or portions of Brooklyn and Queens, but is not like Manhattan. Manhattan is massive and extreemely dense and busy. No other city in North Americais like that part of NYC.
I would only disagree to the extent that, as I noted above, Philly's area immediately west of Rittenhouse Square has a distinct Greenwich Village look and vibe to it.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

I’m glad someone said this. There are a few large US cities (And smaller ones) that you could ask this question and the answer would be “None.” I get that NYC is great but it’s not the end all and be all of everything.
Thank you.

And that is the point. Who the hell anointed New York to be A #1, king of the hill, top of the heap. It isn't. What New York is is a truly great city. Like are other cities, such as the ones I have listed. There is nothing ultimate about New York that isn't based on pure numbers, based on where wealth congregates.

As for other cities such as Boston, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, how lucky they are: they do not have a need to be #1 in this, #1 in that, #1 in everything. New York's persona as being that A #1 is a curse I would not wish on any place.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrRidge1 View Post
No city on earth is comparable to NYC.

That said, Philly feels closest to NYC, especially at street level. There are parts of South Philly that could pass for Brooklyn, and the area around Rittenhouse Square could pass for sections of Manhattan south of 23rd Street.
No city is similar to NYC. Saying no city is comparable sounds like it’s objectively better when it’s just different.

I think there are probably 7 or 8 cities that have patches that could be mistaken for part of NYC but you walk 4 blocks and generally it starts looking pretty different because no city has the critical
Mass of people to sustain something like Midtown Manhattan to Downtown Brooklyn and LIC as a cohesive CBD like area.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
As a native Philadelphian who has lived in Manhattan for almost 5 years (and traveled to the other boroughs frequently), I would say Philadelphia and Chicago are the closest.

Chicago for the size and and varying neighborhoods, and Philadelphia for the general feel, density, traffic, etc. Philadelphia also has the most potential to be New Yorks closest rival, however, its still many years away from that.

San Fran minimally reminds of parts of New York, but not enough to compare.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Thank you.

And that is the point. Who the hell anointed New York to be A #1, king of the hill, top of the heap. It isn't. What New York is is a truly great city. Like are other cities, such as the ones I have listed. There is nothing ultimate about New York that isn't based on pure numbers, based on where wealth congregates.

As for other cities such as Boston, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, how lucky they are: they do not have a need to be #1 in this, #1 in that, #1 in everything. New York's persona as being that A #1 is a curse I would not wish on any place.
I agree and i feel when people say NYC they only mean the Sex and the City parts of Manhattan and the few gentrified parts of BK.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree and i feel when people say NYC they only mean the Sex and the City parts of Manhattan and the few gentrified parts of BK.
And the first group is overjoyed that their governor in Albany is Miranda Hobbes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: