Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Phoenix and Las Vegas
I see some similarities, especially in sprawl, housing styles, and similar sized downtowns. Phoenix is more noticeably conservative and older feeling, especially in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 10:48 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I see some similarities, especially in sprawl, housing styles, and similar sized downtowns. Phoenix is more noticeably conservative and older feeling, especially in the suburbs.
Compared to Vegas, Phoenix has a much, much larger and way more prominent Downtown. There's really not much to Downtown Las Vegas frankly.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:22 PM

666 posts, read 515,527 times
Too many Dallas/Atlanta comparisons. Dallas has two large airports accessible to the best suburbs where Atlanta has one way south hard to get to from the new northern sprawl. Also, Dallas has a massive road/infrastructure system where Atlanta is cramped. Last, DFW has about a million more people.

Dallas/Houston/maybe Denver for various reasons
Birmingham/Memphis/Jackson
Nashville/Austin
Seattle/San Francisco

Old 09-02-2020, 12:32 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Too many Dallas/Atlanta comparisons. Dallas has two large airports accessible to the best suburbs where Atlanta has one way south hard to get to from the new northern sprawl. Also, Dallas has a massive road/infrastructure system where Atlanta is cramped. Last, DFW has about a million more people.

Nashville/Austin
Seattle/San Francisco
You think Dallas is more similar to Denver than it is Atlanta?

Old 09-02-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Too many Dallas/Atlanta comparisons. Dallas has two large airports accessible to the best suburbs where Atlanta has one way south hard to get to from the new northern sprawl.
Yet Atlanta's single Airport has more flights and passengers than the two Dallas Airports combined. And 'way south' is quite the exaggeration, it's a whopping 9 miles or a 15 to 20 minute train ride from Downtown. It's also a single seat ride on MARTA's Red Line from North Sandy Springs to the Airport, providing easy access to the booming suburban areas on the Northside.

Quote:
Also, Dallas has a massive road/infrastructure system where Atlanta is cramped. Last, DFW has about a million more people.
You're right, and we are never going to follow in your road building footsteps. There is extreme distaste here for any new freeways due to the ecological damage they cause to our beautiful geography. It's a lot easier to build massive roads on flat, treeless prarie than it is through heavily forested hilly terrain. An extra million people doesn't add much to the equation, other than more sprawl almost up to Oklahoma.

Quote:
Nashville/Austin
Seattle/San Francisco
Wait, what?!?! You honestly believe that a Metro area roughly half the size of Atlanta is a more apt comparison here? Wow.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:08 PM

486 posts, read 601,517 times
Erie, PA and Duluth, MN.

Both cities on great lakes.
Both have up and coming waterfronts.
Both are rust belt cities.
Both the cities proper and metro areas have similar populations.
Both have a mall shaped like a gun.
Both have a highway cutting off the downtown from the waterfront.

Last edited by jFug; 09-02-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You think Dallas is more similar to Denver than it is Atlanta?
Well yes kinda.. More similar in who lives there, it's fast upward growth and corporate presence/potential.

Atlanta has much different culture make-up.

Having lived in Dallas for quite some time, I can tell you there is a lot of back n forth moving between Dallas and Denver. People who've lived in both love them both for many of the same reasons.

Clearly there are vast differences! But I'm talking as far as what the cities have to offer.

Main difference is proximity to mountains obviously.

Last edited by bfmx1; 09-02-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yet Atlanta's single Airport has more flights and passengers than the two Dallas Airports combined. And 'way south' is quite the exaggeration, it's a whopping 9 miles or a 15 to 20 minute train ride from Downtown. It's also a single seat ride on MARTA's Red Line from North Sandy Springs to the Airport, providing easy access to the booming suburban areas on the Northside.

You're right, and we are never going to follow in your road building footsteps. There is extreme distaste here for any new freeways due to the ecological damage they cause to our beautiful geography. It's a lot easier to build massive roads on flat, treeless prarie than it is through heavily forested hilly terrain. An extra million people doesn't add much to the equation, other than more sprawl almost up to Oklahoma.

Wait, what?!?! You honestly believe that a Metro area roughly half the size of Atlanta is a more apt comparison here? Wow.
9 miles south of Atlanta coming from Alpharetta is a disaster! That's not "only 9 miles". It can take two hours. Most people, especially those who live in the northern burbs don't want to take MARTA with luggage.

Yes it's busier but who cares? Dallas has two world class airports to choose from. One much smaller than the other with direct flights to almost anywhere in the US. Love Field is a gold mine for Dallas. Easy in/easy out and is a nice airport.

I agree ATL has more luscious landscape but having lived there, i just don't value woods full of pine trees to be the best nature has to offer. Definitely more than Dallas! But there's give/take when it comes to all that.

Also, Atlanta destroyed alot more ecology building its concrete jungle than Dallas.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
9 miles south of Atlanta coming from Alpharetta is a disaster! That's not "only 9 miles". It can take two hours. Most people, especially those who live in the northern burbs don't want to take MARTA with luggage.

Yes it's busier but who cares? Dallas has two world class airports to choose from. One much smaller than the other with direct flights to almost anywhere in the US. Love Field is a gold mine for Dallas. Easy in/easy out and is a nice airport.

I agree ATL has more luscious landscape but having lived there, i just don't value woods full of pine trees to be the best nature has to offer. Definitely more than Dallas! But there's give/take when it comes to all that.

Also, Atlanta destroyed alot more ecology building its concrete jungle than Dallas.
Disagree on all points, and this 'full of pine trees' is a total joke. Coming from Birmingham, you know better. And concrete jungle in Atlanta compared to Dallas is so over the top, I don't even know where to begin.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Case in point about Atlanta's airport. Btw, I love ATL don't get me wrong.

Right now if you look at google maps..

Alpharetta to Hartsfield - 47 minutes (through downtown traffic)
Plano to DFW - 26 minutes (on gigatic freeways)

Both areas are arguably close to the heart of the fastest suburban growth..

Now lets look at the "uptowns" to closest airports:

Buckhead to Hartsfield - 26 minutes
Uptown to Love Field - 14 minutes

That's just right now. It doesn't take into account the headache of having to deal with Hartsfield and not have a smaller airport option.

North ATL needs a Southwest hub!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City